Can I install Ragnarok chip on this board?

40_ounce

I was cleaning out my man cave aka messy garage and found a DIY Ragnarok chip I bought and forgot about. Anyway can I install it on this board? I believe it's a matrix 2.

kaiqep.jpg

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Post a pic of the ragnarok chip. If its the older version then yes. If its says cg2 anywhere on it then sadley no!

U got yourself a rare board there. Very very very hard to find. Defenantly a matrix2. Those are my favorite boards!

40_ounce

Thanks for the quick reply N3rdy. I found the matrix2 with the chip so it' basically brand new.
What other chips or rapid fire mods can be done with this controller?
Why do you like it so much?
Here is a pic of the chip.
9uch3a.jpg

I actually found a CG2 board. I was using one while posting and didn't even know it. ahaha

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Yep u got yourself a matrix 2 ragnarok chip! That will work perfect for that board. The newer cg2 ragnarok chips are black not blue like the matrix2. I believe the cg2 versions also say cg2 somewhere on the chip. The matrix 2 chip is way easier to install as u Dont have to solder to the X Y or all the directional pad connections. Most of the wiring is done on the back side of the controller.

There are not hardly any other mods that are compatible with matrix 2 boards. They only came out for a brief time and are in my opinion the hardest to find (besides the cg3 boards) I have microchips that are specially coded for matrix 2 boards but u won't find any other mod chips anywhere that are compatible with that board! My chips cant touch a ragnarok so u got yourself a sweet setup right there. Not to mention matrix 2 ragnarok chips are discontinued. Its like a rare diamond!.

To awnser your question I just like the matrix 2 boards for there rairity and complexity. Not compatible with hardly any mods out there and are no longer made. Also the simplistic wiring for the ragnarok chip. The cg2 ragnaroks are a lot harder to install.

Last edited:

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Yea make it as easy as possible for yourself. Like the LEDs just wire them to the actual leds instead of the connections listed on the back of the board. The instructions show the alternative led solder points. Also the A & B buttons just scrap some of the black coating off the actual pad and solder your connections there. If your really confident in your soldering skills u can go about it in their instructions bit from experience those small vias on the matrix board are hard to solder to and u have to be really carful scraping then to get to the copper. Its not like the cg2 boards where their vias have that coating that you scrape to expose the cooper. It will just make your instillation way smoother.

If something goes wrong do not try to install that chip on the cg2 board. It will not work. Matrix controllers are totally different in how the anologe and digital functions operate. It takes special coding to have the chip work with all the buttons and triggers on a matrix board com paired to a cg or cg2/3 board.

Have fun with it and keep us updated on your build. Also the thing I like is it has the old software built into it. I personally think the jitter settings are faster on the older firmwares. If your into old COD games I'd stick with the old firmware! U can also go USB on it and upload the latest firmware. I'm sure its calibrated to read the chip to decifer from matrix and cg2. That's a good question for Odin to Awnser bit I'm pretty positive its calibrated for it.

P.S also if possible "if u read this Odin" can u post a link of all the old firmwares from beginning to present for download. I would like to downgrade firmware on my matrix ragnarok. I u derstand the old firmwares are not compatible with the cg2 versions and can brick the chip but maybe u can put in all caps not to download old firmwares unless its compatible with the board your using. So u can list the firmware then next to it say only for matrix 2 controllers or only for cg2 controllers for the specific firmware adressed. I would really appreciate that!

Last edited:

40_ounce

Thanks for all the info n3erdy. I will definitely take your advice on wiring.
I hope to have this done over the weekend.
I will post some pics of my journey.

modded matt

Any martix mod will work on the matrix 2. the only main difference is the missing regulated power source. you will need to use a opto to control switching a chip on and off that is ported to this board all other inputs are the same as the matrix.

Also note the white plug on your chip is a dead giveaway that it was from the original batch that offered the viking led stick rings.

I found an unused ragnargok 360 FLEX board this weekend....

40_ounce

thanks for the advice guys.
I haven't had anytime to install the chip but i should get it done sometime this week.
matt can you please explain the opto control more I did some research on it but i don't understand.

modded matt

an optocoupler is a device that consists of an LED and A Photo-transistor. The led changes state when a voltage change happens, the photo-transistor reads this change and changes its output (switched in MS)

RDC has done a nice write up here (with pictures lol) http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,34805.0.html

I have some on my desk, if your in the states and need one I could send you, but for this ragnarok chip, you don't need one. Viking did it in programming.

40_ounce

Thanks for the info and offer matt.
Since I don't need the opto for the ragnarok I don't want to bother you to send it. But I really appreciate the offer.

40_ounce

OK, so I finally installed the chip....
But it didn't power on so I need to go back and check my soldering.
It's ok I'm sure I ill get it figured out.
Until then here is a couple pics.

my ghetto soldering station.
27wuiau.jpg

Teaching my son how to tin.
xeg0bc.jpg

I will post more pics soon.

And I thought the hardest part was getting the controller back together without pinching the wires.
I guess I should have check if it worked before putting it back together.
Oh well I will try again .

odingalt

Staff member
Yeah the matrix2 modchip is a pain, it has to be a perfect install or else it won't work. Also the matrix2 modchip is specifically for the matrix2, it won't work on a matrix1. There was a slight difference between matrix1 and matrix2, namely I believe both B and A buttons are common line buttons on the matrix2, but on matrix1 I think only one of those two buttons was common line (And the other was placed in one of the button matrices).

40_ounce

Success! I got it working.
I rechecked all my wiring and found I had soldered 2 wires to the wrong spot.
I should have posted a pic earlier I'm sure you guys would have seen my rookie mistakes.
Here are a couple pics.

6924cx.jpg

34sjosj.jpg

And on this picture I have a wire soldered to the wrong spot.
Lets see If you can find it.
I know the picture is not the best quality but if you guys can't find it I will show you witch one it is later.

jg5hxd.jpg

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Yea I see those two wires @ the bottom of the chip to the left of the d+ d- vbus & G. I've made similar mistakes before with the tact switches soldering them to left tac side. They only work on right tac side.

Great job! Glade you took my advice on the LEDs and the buta A & B soldering connections. I Dont like how close the other LEDs vias are to where the chip rest. Glade to see u got it working right and had all the hard to find component/board to get the job done! Sweet deal!

Wow u even have the thumbstick LEDs! U must of got that setup right when they started selling the rag chips. I have to say I'm quite jeiolious. What a gem! That is truly sick and rare! That's worth some money right there bro!!!

40_ounce

haha good catch n3erdy...
Yea I love the thumbstick leds.
Odingalt was nice enough to throw them in for free when I made my order for the DIY chip.