Can't connect to PC - Drivers issue

Galen

Details of my controller:
-Pre-ordered one of the first viking controllers.
-Barely used, it looks brand new. I just use it once every few months usually for a few days.
-Using the PnP cable that was included with my controller, it stil has the twist ties on it, and has ONLY been used to connect viking to PC. I store it in the original box, along with my controller which is stored in a protective controller case inside the original box.

Here is the problem im having and steps I have taken.
-I got out my controller again for Black ops 2.
-Turned on with brand new batteries out of a sealed pack using the start button.
-Plugged into PC, and figured I would likely need firmware update (been at least 1 year since updated it)
-Downloaded the firmware updater tool (new computer didnt have it) and the firmware file which is called by default "Viking Firmware 0.9.0.0.bin"
-Restarted and replugged in my controller after launching firmware updater. At this time, viking software DID NOT EXIST ON MY COMPUTER. Therefore, it was not open during update process.
-Closed all programs after the 'Open Bin File' Button was available to click.
-Opened the firmware update noted above, again this was the only viking firmware ever downloaded onto this computer.
-Pressed 'Program/Verify', after several seconds, the green progress bar was filled and I saw the line of text mentioned in the instructional video, program/verify/erase complete.
-I pressed reset device as instructed in the video.
-I downloaded the Viking Software, and restarted and replugged in my controller.
-Now it says one of the following messages every time I connect the controller to PC:
USB device not recognized.
Installing device drivers....... Eventually says: Drivers failed to install correctly.
Occasionally, it says drivers installed successfully, and then shows that it installed an xbox360 controller with play and charge kit. When this happens, viking software and firmware updater tool do not recognize controller.

I have tried every usb port on my Full tower desktop, both USB Hub ports, and back ports. This includes usb 3.0 and usb 2.0 ports.

I have tried every usb port on my laptop, including both usb 3.0 and usb 2.0 ports.

I have tried front usb Hub ports on my old Desktop (these always worked in the past), and back ones. This is usb 2.0 only (not that this should even matter).

I have used 3 rechargeable battery packs, although initially I used bran new actual batteries in the battery case included with controller. This is what I always had to do in the past, but I decided to try the rechargable batteries just in case.

I have used 3 different sets of batteries. 2 brand new, one set was not brand new,

My controller is fully functional on xbox.

My controller shows the correct light blue/pink lights in the first and fourth player light spots when I start the controller with the start button.

In the past i sometimes had to unplug and replug controller 2-4 times for Viking Software to recognize the controller, this no longer works.

I have followed Odingalts instructions given to another user, who mentioned a similar driver related issue. (in this area of the forums).

Is it possible for someone to send me the correct driver to use, and I can try to manually assign it to my controller? I have a valid copy of windows 7 on all of my computers, however my computer obviously cant install the driver for whatever reason, so maybe manually doing it will work.

I have included pretty much all relevant details I can think of, and In my opinion I have done literally nothing that could have damaged my controller.

What is the next step to resolve this frustrating issue?

Thanks for any help you may have to offer.

odingalt

Staff member
In the past i sometimes had to unplug and replug controller 2-4 times for Viking Software to recognize the controller, this no longer works.

This is the nugget of important information in your post (thanks for posting such a detailed post by the way -- that is a rare change for us!). It should have worked consistently and flawlessly 100% of the time from the beginning. My guess is there is a short circuit or bad connection that has always been there and finally has just gotten worse and stopped working altogether. This is not a software or driver issue. No drivers are required, on Windows 7 especially, the drive is built-in to windows. I think this is a hardware issue that has finally completely stopped working.

I guess the only thing left to possibly is try is a different play-and-charge cable? If that does not solve the issue, would open up a support ticket at the website and copy-paste your forum post, so they can set you up to return it open the controller and find the problem.