Dreaded red ring

Krier023

Useful Poster
My friends got a old dashboard xbox with the red ring and im thinking about fixing it and jtagging it. what do you guys think the best rrod kit is? ive seen xecuter, acidmods, and llammas and i was just wondering which one you guys think will get the job done.

IrishStyle

They will all get the job done. I have used the llama one on my very first repair. There are lots on ebay too, just make sure your kit comes with Arctic Silver #5.

obo

or you can just use the towel trick :D
i've done that on my friends xbox like 5 times lol
Like Towelie says! "Don't forget to bring a towel!"

edit-dont actually use the towel trick, the one me and my friend use it on is a piece of crap one that ran out of warrenty, that we just wanted to see if it would work. So far we've done it though like 7 times, we're still waiting for it to die on us

Fredrow

Towel also is hella high too.....

The towel trick is NOT good at all, your basically doing to the Xbox what killed the Xbox to start with....

Just go ahead and follow the LLamma tut on how to fix it. I did it for my first time too, and plus it's also a great learning experience too....

Have fun....

Krier023

Useful Poster
yeah im gonna look around while i have the xbox open just to see what it looks like.

fredrow i was just looking around your page and i saw my controller. its still working great thanks

obo

oh yeah for sure, the xbox that me and my friend use it on is some old piece of crap rrod one that is out of warrenty and we're too lazy to actually fix it.
if you actually know what you're doing. Dont do the towel trick lol. Especially on a jtag!
(sorry, from my last post i guess i didnt really make it obvious that i was joking around)

Krier023

Useful Poster
yeah ive heard the towel trick is bad lol but when im doing the llamma fix should i heat gun it or do you think it will be good with just the pressure from the xclamp

modded matt

the xclamp is not enough on its own. the solder must be reheated. The only time I tell a member to use a heat gun is to correct E74. the last step in the tutorial will tell you to plug in the fan, but not put it back in place, to set it on top of the cpu heat sink. this is done to keep the cpu cool and overhaet the gpu. if you dont cool the cpu it will overheat faster than the gpu and cause 2 lights and shut the box down before the gpu has properly been reflowed. I have corrected many RROd using the acidomds tut. I had one that would not work at all (some kid tried the penny trick before I got it for $8 off ebay. I have one i did this fix to about a year ago and I still play on it daily.

Krier023

Useful Poster
yeah i bought the llamma one. it came today now i just need to open the xbox up and fix it. ill tell you guys how it went

modded matt

Krier023 said:
yeah i bought the llamma one. it came today now i just need to open the xbox up and fix it. ill tell you guys how it went

guys save your money two stores will give you everything you need for less than half the price. here is the material list with part numbers.

Parts Needed

•8-hex head cap screws M5x12mm lowes part #880645
•32-steel washers 5MMx 1mm lowes part #880765
•16-nylon washers 5MM x 1mm lowes part #881544
•small tube of thermal past from radio shack

Tools Needed

•#10 hex screw driver
•#6 hex screw driver
•13/64 drill bit
•drill
•small flat screwdriver

Chipflyby

Or you could have it reflowed first then apply rrod kit. Sure to be a good runner then. A little more than a hardware store fix though. Just a thought.