Ground Point and tact location

brendanle78

I just bought a duo kit and i was wondering if you can solder all the ground points of the tact switch, 3.5mm jack, and the g point on the chip to the same pin shown on the picture. i have a cg2. Also, i was wondering where to drill the tact switch and the 3.5mm jack. If you can help, it would be great. thanks

Fredrow

brendanle78 said:
I just bought a duo kit and i was wondering if you can solder all the ground points of the tact switch, 3.5mm jack, and the g point on the chip to the same pin shown on the picture. i have a cg2. Also, i was wondering where to drill the tact switch and the 3.5mm jack. If you can help, it would be great. thanks

Hey I'm off to my summer class right now, but once I get home, if you haven't been helped yet I will help you out! I have a picture somewhere that shows how to install the 3.5mm jack, and also I have a nice little trick for installing the ground wires. This trick will help you out because you wont need to 3 ground wires going from your bottom shell to the PCB... So check back today, but I'm sure someone will help you out with this before I get home!!!

brendanle78

Fredrow said:
brendanle78 said:

Hey I'm off to my summer class right now, but once I get home, if you haven't been helped yet I will help you out! I have a picture somewhere that shows how to install the 3.5mm jack, and also I have a nice little trick for installing the ground wires. This trick will help you out because you wont need to 3 ground wires going from your bottom shell to the PCB... So check back today, but I'm sure someone will help you out with this before I get home!!!
If you can tell me the trick, it would be great. thanks

IrishStyle

brendanle78 said:

You can solder the grounds however you please(How you mentioned is ok), but fredrow was saying he had a trick for the 3 wire to the ground. You can also run one of the grounds to the chip as well. Meaning you could ground one of the tact's there as long as the chip is grounded. Here is a link to a a post with the 3.5mm jack location here. As for the tact switch location there is 2 circular mold marks on the inside of the bottom controller shell. There are located on the inside of the bottom shell where your middle fingers will sit. I use those spots because they are right where you middle fingers rest, making changing modes easier. Hope this makes sence.

brendanle78

IrishStyle said:
brendanle78 said:

You can solder the grounds however you please(How you mentioned is ok), but fredrow was saying he had a trick for the 3 wire to the ground. You can also run one of the grounds to the chip as well. Meaning you could ground one of the tact's there as long as the chip is grounded. Here is a link to a a post with the 3.5mm jack location here. As for the tact switch location there is 2 circular mold marks on the inside of the bottom controller shell. There are located on the inside of the bottom shell where your middle fingers will sit. I use those spots because they are right where you middle fingers rest, making changing modes easier. Hope this makes sence.
I understand it. Thanks for you help soo much. I really appreciate it.

modded matt

you can run all your grounds to one common ground. you can land all your grounds to the viking chip, and then run one from the viking chip to the mobo, or you can tie all your grounds to the 3.5 jack. it dont matter. It is a pain trying to solder all the grounds tot he same point on the controller. so yes daisy chaining them is the best bet.

as for your buttons, be caredull with cg2...on the matrix or cg1 controllers there are two imprinted circles in the bottonm of the controller shell that are perfect placment of the tacts. however with the cg2 revision, the cyistal was moved to the bottom of the board and placed right in this location. so I had to start moving the tacts closer to the bottom of the shell, unfortunatly this is where my finger sits when idle. so I use very short tact switches.

modded matt

sorry irish, I just read your post. we are talking about the same circles for tact placement, although be leary of the new CG2 controllers as the right circle is blocked by the crystal that has been relocated.

Fredrow

Im sure brendanle78 has already figured everything out and installed the jack and the tact switches but I decided to make a quick little tutorial on how I do it just so maybe it can help people in the future!

First thing I do is prep the jack. I do this by cutting off the pins that are not needed. If you were to look at the jack with the pins facing up at you and the male hole is on the bottom, starting on the right hand side: cut the first one, cut the one right above the you just cut, then cut the next pin, then DO NOT cut the next pin, and the final pin you have to cut is the one right after the pin you did not cut off. Once you are done your left with just three pins on your jack. [attachment=11:aox5wmez]1=jack_3.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

Next thing to do is get your wires you need for the jack. Your only going to need 3 wires: GND, D-, and D+. Of course I use 30AWG wire, but for the length of the wires I cut them to be 15cm in length. Then I add a little amount of solder paste to the pins and then solder the wires to the correct pins. If your looking at the jack with the pins facing up at you and the male hole is at the bottom. The first pin on the left hand side is the GND pin, then the pin above that is the D- pin, so that leaves the pin at the top is your D+ pin. (in my pic: GND=Black, D-=purple, and D+=White) [attachment=10:aox5wmez]2=wire on jack.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

This next step doesn't really have to be done, but I like to do it anyways! With my fingers I twist the wires together, and the reason why I do this is because I found that it makes it easier to to control the wires when it comes time to close up your controller! [attachment=9:aox5wmez]3=wire twist.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

For this step I really don't need to explain anything, just look at the picture. This is how I figure out were to drill my whole for the jack. I drill right in the middle where those 2 lines meets up (the lines that are drawn on their) and then you will also see another little dot off to the right, well that is where you will be drilling the hole for your tact switch. (Drill bit size for the 3.5mm jack: 15/64" bit. Drill bit size for tact switches: 9/64") [attachment=8:aox5wmez]4=left side mark.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

Same as before this is just a picture with a marking on it so you know where to drill the hole for the right tact switch. [attachment=7:aox5wmez]5=right side mark.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

These next 2 pictures just show what it looks like after you have drilled your holes for both the 3.5mm jack and the right/left tact switches.
[attachment=6:aox5wmez]6=right side cut.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez][attachment=5:aox5wmez]7=left side cut.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

Now were on to prepping the tact switches. When you receive your D.I.Y. Kit it will come with 2 tact switches. You are going to need to cut off 2 of the pins on the tact switches. Pick either side of the tact switch and cut off those to pins. Now you should have a tact switch with only 2 pins on it and the pins should both be on the same side of the tact switch. Next you will want to push these 2 pins towards the black base of the tact switch. You want them to be almost laying flat on the black square base of the tact switch. I have included a pic of what I'm talking about, but I'm thinking maybe I should have taken some better shots of it)
[attachment=4:aox5wmez]8=TxS.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

Now its time to install those 2 tact switches. This is how I do it: put the tact switch in its hole, then I use a little glob of hot glue just to hold the tact switch in place. (One trick I use to cool down the hot glue faster is to use a can of compressed air; sometimes call "Dusters") Then once the tact switch is held into place this is when I finish gluing around the tact switch. (doing it this way makes it so much faster and easier because if you try to glue the tact switch all in one motion, then your gonna have to wait that whole time while it drys.) The only picture I have included showing the tact switch installment process is just the one were you use a small glob of glue to simple hold the tact switch in place for you!
[attachment=3:aox5wmez]9=prep tact.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

Now we are at the part of my tutorial in which some pictures will not match up with the steps that well, but it should still make sense! (I hope) This next step is where we will connect GND to the tact switches. First you need to get yourself a small piece of 30AWG and solder one end of the wire to the GND pin of the 3.5mm jack (if you notice on the GND pin of the 3.5mm jack it has a metal plate that wraps around the outside of the jack, you can solder to that plate for a GND point) then solder the other end of the wire to the bottom pin of your left tact switch. ( I forgot to take a picture of this before I glued in the 3.5mm jack, but you can still see what I have done.)
[attachment=2:aox5wmez]10=GND_jack-tact.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

Well this is how I install the 3.5mm jack. First stick it in the whole that you drilled for it, then use some electrical tape and tape down the wire like how it is shown in the picture. ( If you fail to skip the tapping down of the wires, they will get caught up in the left trigger after you close up your controller.) Once you have taped the wires down (and connected the ground wire to your tact switch from the 3.5mm jack) then it's time to hot glue the 3.5mm jack in place. (As a fair warning, when putting glue around the base of the jack, try not to over do it in the direction of the top of the shell, the reason being is because if the glue piles up to much then when you go to put the controller back together the left trigger's pot will smash down on your glob pile of glue, then you will have to go back and cut some of the glue out so the pot doesn't smash down on it.) Well here is a nice pic of what mine look's like with the 3.5mm jack totally installed.
[attachment=1:aox5wmez]11=jack-tact_done&gnd.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]

This is the final step you will need to do on your bottom shell (if your installing this as a RAVEN) You just have to wire up your tact switches then your done (with just the bottom shell..... :mrgreen: )
First thing to do is get yourself 2 pieces of 30AWG wire and have them both at a length of 11cm. You will solder them both to the left tact switch one of them will go on the same pin that has GND wire soldered to it, and the other wire will get soldered to the pin that had nothing on it. Then lay and tape each wire towards the right side of the shell. ( Once you see the pic it will make more sense of what I'm saying) Now take the wire that was soldered to the left tact switch pin the same pin that has the GND soldered to it and solder that wire to the right tact switch pin. ( The other wire that was soldered to the left tact switch pin gets soldered to nothing right NOW, that wire will get connected to the Viking360 board. ) The final thing you have to do is cut yourself a piece of 30AWG wire that is 6.5cm in length and solder it to the only open pin on the right tact switch. ( This wire will also be connected to the Viking360 board later. )
In my picture I used a BLUE wire to connect the GND between the 2 tact switches, then I used RED wire for the left tact switch, and purple wire for the right tact switch. Notice in the picture that on each wire one of the ends are not connected to anything, that because they will get connected to the viking360 board.

[attachment=0:aox5wmez]12=bottom shell complete.jpg[/attachment:aox5wmez]