Internal Mic Port programming

akhockey18

Just wondering if it is possible to use the internal mic port( used for wired mics) to program the controller rather than the play and charge port or the 3.5mm jack.
I have a wireless mic so I have no use for this port so just a thought.

odingalt

Staff member
Anything can be done. The mic port looks like 2.5mm instead of a 3.5mm, so a guy would have to find a 2.5mm to USB cable (or make one :) ). Then it's just a matter of poking around with a multimeter to figure out which traces to cut/solder to on the circuit board.

akhockey18

Headset_port_pinout.jpg

So where would I solder too?

Is this correct?
25mmusbjack.jpg

odingalt

Staff member
Oh snap! I didn't relize they had 2.5mm to USB cables on E-Bay! Time to switch to a 2.5mm jack for my retail product hahahaha. I will take a look at these photos tonight when I get home from my 8-5 day job.

its in your pic but its not the 2.5mm mic jack, lol.

the old headsets used used to come with gold connections on the black tabs, but the stopped putting the gold connections on the black tabs. i just need to find a older one to use.

the black tabs with gold connection went in on each side of the 2.5mm plug. (1,2,3,4,)

akhockey18

uhh okay good luck with that. Anyways All i need is help on which points I solder too. If somone who is good at this could help me that would be great.

Raynentye

Hey GAMEROMS-SCAMMER, did you ever get your connector to work?

The Chat Pad is great source for one of those connectors. I'm working on a mod myself that utilizes the mic port. But thinking of another no drill option for the Viking RapidFire communications point, while still having functionality of the controller's other functions, I thought of using the UART comm and power points as well. I have a specific set of mods I'd like to complete on a few controllers, but until I get into trying to cram the extra buttons and indicators, another hole drilled for the RapidFire comm point won't make much of a difference and I'm not sure if I'll have to nix a few switches and lights.