Laptop for college.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol exactly. You can pirate the mac OS anyways, my friend used to have it dual boot on his PC. That was the price for parts though, I put it together myself after that.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yeah, as for my pc. I got all the parts as a christmas gift, and I also put it together myself. cost 325, but its an amd quad core 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, and a 1.5tb drive, but I still havent gotten around to getting a graphics card. It has the internal raedon 4200, but it just doesnt do it for most games.

As for a laptop, I just bought an acer aspire 5515 for 140, plan on upgrading the cpu to a dual core, and it should be a good little travel laptop.

Also like ps3 said, I like the amd processors because they are less expensive. You have to be careful when overclocking though. I saw a video where they put amd and intel chips next to eachother, overclocked them to the full potential, when the intel got too hot, it just shut off, but the amd kept going until it pretty much blew up/caught on fire. this was years ago though.

HippieMagic

OS X works just as good on a laptop as it does on a mac. Mac's aren't special in any way they still use PC parts they just charge more for them. With a mac you pay about $1000 for the parts and $2000 for the apple logo. If you get compatible PC parts you can actually load it up pretty easily with a little TLC from a bootloader. Granted sometimes it's nowhere near that simple... There is a ton of videos and tutorials on how to do it. I might put it on this pc too... I haven't really decided yet since I have no use for it.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
M friend said the mac OS worked fine, he just didn't like it. If you're overclocking you need a good cooler, my PC runs at room temperature not overclocked, I have a really good aircooling set up with an oversize heatsink and coolermaster case. When i need the extra power I'll buy some mroe fans for the empty fan slots I currently have and a teperature guage for one of the 5.25" bays in the front Supposedly 4.5 can be reached with watercooling or strong air cooling like I have, there are reports of reaching 5.5 when they vented -30 (celsius) air from outside during the winter.

Fredrow

That's pretty good fro $50 Fredrow... I have a desktop with the 6-core black edition AMD (3.2 GHz/6 cores, overclockable up to around 4.5GHz), it's pretty beast. I paid 1100, with a mid range graphics card. It's come down in price a bit though, so I think you could get a high end graphics card with it for that price now. It can convert 1080p video faster than watching it speed. Or you could wait for bulldozer (AMD's new line) to come out and see what's up with them... I like AMD for being cheaper but still powerful, I don't really know how the latest intels are doing.

+1........

I luv AMD products.... Like you said mane; it's not only the price they also pack a punch.... I'm still running the Jay-Z Edition 955 on my DT... I liked the AMD 6-core CPU but not enough to drop money on it... I figured I should wait for the next wave of CPU's to hit the street'z.....