linux support for ps3 controller

hazardouschurch

I am wondering if there will ever be support for linux/mac?
1) What is it coded in... I.E. can it be transfered to a mac or linux and compiled.
2) I can help if you need because i am on a mac and would love to not have to start up parallels every time i need to change something or update i have enough experience to do it if it is in c++ and a little experience in python. I am willing to learn the language if its different.
3) Have you thought of doing them in java... that would make it cross platform and work for everybody...

RED SOX

ModdingBros Co-Leader
I'm not very knowledgable in this area of computers but Odin said something about there won't be Mac or Linux capability until later in the Viking software but I'd wait for a confirmation from Odin or someone else with the Viking team.

hazardouschurch

Im just saying if it is the lack of experience as it usually is i can help... Im sure someone else can use it if they dont have a way of working on a windows box even if it is just experimental and not all pretty yet but it still works.

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
I would love to have the macro software on a mac however dont know how to code what so ever so i usually use my windows tower.

hazardouschurch

I dont really play my 360 alot but if it is simple enough i could probably do it.... I just ordered my ps3 ragnarock controller and i will not be ordering a 360 controller so i can only test for the ps3... I have no means to test for the macro 360 controller.... funding you college by yourself tends to put a hold on your hopes and dreams T_T. If it is relatively simple and they will let us do it it should just port over the same as the ps3 program... and it should work with little problems because the program is talking to the chip in the controller not the computer its self. If i am able to i would love to port it to java so all can share the love.

NYjetsNY1

I am wondering if there will ever be support for linux/mac?

In the future, we are looking to add these.

2) I can help if you need because i am on a mac and would love to not have to start up parallels every time i need to change something or update i have enough experience to do it if it is in c++ and a little experience in python. I am willing to learn the language if its different.

Send a private message to odingalt.

3) Have you thought of doing them in java... that would make it cross platform and work for everybody

Yes! We are actually working with that now.

hazardouschurch

what would be the warranty? i have not seen anything about this I.E. i searched the forums. i do however see the sticker on the controller

NYjetsNY1

Viking Digital does not accept product returns. However, we do provide a 90-day warranty on all retail products.

odingalt

Staff member
I have been looking into Mac functionality for the PS3 USB software. I have started to try to familiarize myself with "XCODE". Which is apparently a development environment for Mac OS X. I wouldn't even start on that project until Q1 of 2012. Still working on the new Matrix2 modchip.

It shouldn't be that difficult of a project, but I've been cutting costs by doing all my own software. I've never developed on Mac before (heck I don't even own one - my wife does, but it's old, so I don't know if I'd have to buy a new one), so it will take me some time to self-teach.

hazardouschurch

Ahh thanks for the update i would do it in either c++ or like i have said java. Both will work will all platforms once compiled in both windows and unix. Xcode is alright but its a little complicated to a new user. However i feel that java is the way to go. if you have ever played minecraft you will know what im talking about by java's robustness. If you need help holla! Im on my computer all the time because of college and have lots of down time. What is it coded in that would be nice to know.

odingalt

Staff member
I don't know Java. (Or C#). Either one would be a hell of a lot more useful for cross-platform development than C++!