No love fo USPS

Snuffy

Viking mailed my Xbox One Berserker Nov. 12 using Priority 2 day mail and I don't have it yet.

If USPS can't deliver on time now, the Christmas season will be a disaster.

Freyja

Staff member
I got really pissed and left a nasty review for USPS last week partially about that same problem. Parts of their online shipping was down intermittently for several days last week so even being able to make/pay for/print a label was a struggle. We had a pile of orders packed and ready that we couldn't send. Then Veterans day was the 11th and that messed things up. The mail guy for our complex is usually pretty good, but they must be training someone else because there has been days when he never comes or shows up hours late. Since we send out so many packages someone usually takes all the USPS ones out and hands them directly to the carrier (they clog up the mail box and usually don't all fit before it gets jammed) I had to make 2 special trips to the Post office last week!
We're still getting tickets about how USPS hasn't delivered to them and most people don't understand that once it leaves our possession we can't control when it gets to you.

I totally agree with you and am not looking forward to getting deeper into Christmas season if they can't get it together.

odingalt

Staff member
USPS has been this way for years. I personally for my own internet shopping do not ship anything USPS unless I'm willing to have the package go missing entirely. If it's important or a costly item then it has to be FedEx or UPS.

For several years, Viking actually removed USPS as a shipping option. Many, many angry customers left nasty reviews regarding Viking as a company - due to USPS not performing - something that's completely beyond our control. We do our part, pack it up, print the USPS label, and hand it off to the USPS. Our experience, even in the non-holiday season, is that Priority mail takes about 3-5 days, and Express mail takes 2-3 days. Around the holidays, USPS priority mail can take several weeks to be delivered. And overall the percentage of completely missing USPS packages is about 1 in 100 go missing.

FedEx by comparison will go 1,000's and 1,000's of packages before one goes missing.

But then customers left angry nasty reviews about Viking as a company because our shipping was too expensive (since we only offered FedEx and UPS but not USPS). So we re-instated USPS as a shipping option, but now we are back to receiving complaints about being a bad company (when the fault lies with USPS).

Can't win :-(

Snuffy

Sorry to hear folks actually blame Viking for the shipping company delays!

The Ragnorak that I ordered last month I had shipped by FedEx and I didn't like their ship time so I thought I would try the 2-Day
USPS option, it was worse!

What I hate is Amazon will start out shipping me something UPS, then it will get transferred over to USPS and my stuff is held up for 1-2 days!

Anyhow, I received my Berserker finally, and when I return home for the weekend I look forward to using it.

Freyja

Staff member
All that being said, when they do actually get the 2-4 business day time, it is way nicer to only have to pay $12-15 with signature conformation to get your package instead of 20+ for FedEx 2 day. Plus, USPS delivers on Saturday for no extra charge so it's like a bonus in my mind. If you didn't get your package by Friday night there is still hope, where as with UPS or FedEx if you didn't get it by then (and you didn't select Sat delivery) you're waiting until Monday afternoon.

The only recent customer's packages we've have had go missing/on a several week long detour throughout the country have been really rude prior to the shipping fiasco. USPS is apparently like Santa and knows when you've been good or bad then ships accordingly.

odingalt

Staff member
USPS is cheapest by far. USPS is cheaper than FedEx ground and cheaper than UPS ground. But normally faster than both. And sometimes USPS will deliver crap super fast just to surprise you (I've ordered USPS, had something shipped Friday and had it show up in my mailbox the following Monday).

USPS just has a really hard time dealing with volume in November and December of each year.

odingalt

Staff member
If we were a newegg, walmart, etc. we'd get super sick FedEx shipping discounts but since we're small our rates suuuck.