Preview of the Ragnarok USB customization software...

odingalt

Staff member
The customization will end up having different popup screens with instructions and help. I'm not sure, but I might just have those buttons re-direct the user to the support page for the Ragnarok. That way, I can just update the speed lists on the website (rather than having to push software updates out all the time). Eventually we will add a firmware upgrade button. The firmware upgrades will only be released on an as-needed basis. I have the firmware upgrade tool ready now, but it's ugly, and it's going to take me quite a bit of work to merge the customization software and the firmware upgrade tool into one single, user-friendly tool.

Ragnarok USB Software Preview 9-5-2011.jpg

The USB-version of the Ragnarok will probably be released at the same time that we have our LED thumbsticks ready: http://youtu.be/jH2oWj__MmQ

Krier023

Useful Poster
Looking good. Will features like the changeable thumbstick, and leds be incorporated into the new xbox modchip?

Krier023

Useful Poster
Nice. Keep us updated on the progress of both the xbox and ps3 development. Looks great. wish I had aps3 now.

Fredrow

Couple tips; one, can y'all stop calling it rainbow leds? Sounds a bit fruity, multi-color sounds more professional.... And two, do you have any thoughts on designing a complete flex ribbon setup to connect the two sets of PCB's?

odingalt

Staff member
Couple tips; one, can y'all stop calling it rainbow leds? Sounds a bit fruity, multi-color sounds more professional.... And two, do you have any thoughts on designing a complete flex ribbon setup to connect the two sets of PCB's?

Yeah, it sounds like a rainbow rally around here. Color-selectable LED's? Multilight was the term I tried to coin on the macro controller but I don't think that caught on. I've generally been obsessed with using these new 0.8mm pitch headers that I found. They let you make little tiny 32 awg wired cables. I haven't played around with any flex designs since the RGB LED board. I don't see why you couldn't take the intensafire and add two flexible ring PCB's to it? I probably wouldn't do that on my next chip since I have to have wires running to both the top and bottom sides of the board to get all the features I want. But if you just wanted dual trigger RF plus some badass light-up thumbsticks, it should be possible to all be integrated.

Edit, I re-read your question, once upon a time on the XBOX360 I envisioned some sort of flex with a bend in the middle where the flex would sit around the XBOX360 circuit board like a sandwich. I gave up and figured it was just easier on my brain to keep on soldering piles of 30 awg wires.

Will you consider offering pre orders? :rolleyes:

We are in the testing phase right now this week. I am looking for bugs before I release this on the world. Tell you what - if you live in the United States - I need a beta tester. if you don't mind getting a used controller with a brand new Viking USB-enabled PS3 Ragnarok inside of it, then PM me your address and I will send you one here at the end of the week. You would have it next week to play with.

Rexx Castle

Just got the reg Rag the other day and other than no ADS on firing trigger i like it alot. Would love to see this new one you have in action

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
This is the first time anyone has requested that the controller automatically aim when you pull the fire-weapon button.

On the other hand, I've had lots of people tell me how much they would hate a feature like that. So we don't have it lol. You could have auto ADS if you had a macro controller though :)

odingalt

Staff member
We sold a few (about 5), found a few bugs in the firmware, pulled them off the shelf. The bug is basically that the controller liked to go into modchip programming mode when it's not supposed to. Fixed that bug. Got some LED thumbstick prototypes. Played with those, updated the firmware again. Now I am sitting here updating the GUI so that the user can pick the color of the thumbsticks from dropdowns in the GUI. I was also trying to figure out how to port this thing to MacOS in a hurry but that's not going to happen until next Spring as it will be a medium sized project.

Also on the side I'm trying to get my video editing software to work so I can make a tutorial video on how to use the USB version of the Ragnarok (put it into programming mode, get it out of programming mode, use the software, etc.). I want to make sure to have all my ducks in a row before I unleash this on the general public. Don't want to send out a bunch of buggy controllers, with no tutorials and half baked GUI. :)

Unfortunately Viking is not my day job, so the going is slow. And I will be out of town this week and weekend on other business. Sooo, as soon as I can get this stuff hammered out, we should see a "Add USB" option on the VikingDigital cart. I still have to talk to the wife about pricing. Might as well ask - do you guys have any opinion on what is a reasonable price to charge customers to add the USB/3.5mm programming jack to the PS3 controller?

Thanks for the quick and very detailed reply! I do not have an opinion on the pricing of the USB option, whatever you decide I will be paying so it makes no difference to me. Go Viking

NYjetsNY1

We sold a few (about 5), found a few bugs in the firmware, pulled them off the shelf. The bug is basically that the controller liked to go into modchip programming mode when it's not supposed to. Fixed that bug. Got some LED thumbstick prototypes. Played with those, updated the firmware again. Now I am sitting here updating the GUI so that the user can pick the color of the thumbsticks from dropdowns in the GUI. I was also trying to figure out how to port this thing to MacOS in a hurry but that's not going to happen until next Spring as it will be a medium sized project.

Also on the side I'm trying to get my video editing software to work so I can make a tutorial video on how to use the USB version of the Ragnarok (put it into programming mode, get it out of programming mode, use the software, etc.). I want to make sure to have all my ducks in a row before I unleash this on the general public. Don't want to send out a bunch of buggy controllers, with no tutorials and half baked GUI.

Unfortunately Viking is not my day job, so the going is slow. And I will be out of town this week and weekend on other business. Sooo, as soon as I can get this stuff hammered out, we should see a "Add USB" option on the VikingDigital cart. I still have to talk to the wife about pricing. Might as well ask - do you guys have any opinion on what is a reasonable price to charge customers to add the USB/3.5mm programming jack to the PS3 controller?

$29? To add USB, literally $29.99? That's what I'd pay.