PS3 Beta Testing

Voodoo

So, I just received my PS3 beta test controller. (Feelin' like I won the lotto, almost. Got my Xbox one last night, wake up the PS3 controller is here. lol) I'll post pics of it, if that's okay with Odin or the mods (don't want to go letting his cat out of the bag without permission). I will preface this statement by saying that I haven't even plugged it in yet, but it didn't come with any papers or anything, and I was wondering if there were mod instructions posted somewhere, what exactly it does, and how? Or maybe it'll just all be obvious in a minute?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I have the instructions, if you don't get them from Odingalt PM me your email address and I'll forward them. If yours is the same as mine was pictures aren't too exciting anyways lol... Unfortunately mine broke in shipping and I had to send it back, I actually had it in hand when he posted he was looking for more testers.

odingalt

Staff member
I have struck like like 0 for 3 sending prototype controllers. PS3COD = dead controller, Voodoo = dead controller, and one other guy not sure if he's registered here in the forums = dead controller. To everybody who has been asked to test sorry for getting your hopes up and if you haven't already worked with me to get a prepaid return shipping label, shoot me an e-mail so we can set you up to get the controller sent back for programming.

The last three days were chock full with late nights looking for the bugs and (knock on WOOD) I think I've finally worked out all the kinks. Needless to say reverse engineering the PS3 controller is a bit more difficult than reverse engineering the XBOX 360 controller.

In any case, things are working very smoothly here and I installed five controllers in a row with no problems, so PS3COD you will be getting an updated prototype shipped by the end of this week and anybody else with a prototype, get with me to mail it in to get updated to the latest and greatest software.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Great news, great news. If it's working perfectly now this thing will really own, even when it was half working it could do some neat stuff. Are the same instructions still good, or were there any feature changes?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
No, unfortuneatly the PS3 mod does not have programable macros. It only has built in macros such as fast reloads, drop shot etc. Mostly stuff the Raven did, but implemented in better ways using the phantom buttons feature. Maybe Odingalt will post the instructions for people to see sometime soon? I don't want to post what I have without his permision.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
lol OK, please link me to the best PS3 mod you know of. We'll see how it stacks up to the viking, which is still in beta and could get even awesomer.

odingalt

Staff member
LogicBomb said:

Macro controller is too expensive and there is not enough market for it. We only sell around 100 XBOX 360 macro controllers per month, which is barely enough to keep the shop open (we have four employees). I didn't want to make the same mistake designing a PS3 macro controller. Assuming we sell the same number of PS3 macro controllers as we do XBOX 360 macro controllers, it would be a mistake to go that route right now.

The customer has spoken. They want something more like Thor's Hammer or Odin's Raven, with a lot more customizing options, and a lower price! Macro is only catering to a niche market, we need a wider audience to keep the business running. :oops:

LogicBomb

i understand you have to design based on customer base, but still, its only good for 1 game. call of crapper. you should just design, based on my idea, a macro adapter. make it universal for both controllers wired. post on blogs, youtube, etc. the thing will sell. even if you just did a ps3 version, i guarantee it would sell. promote it correctly. dude, its a totally open market. no one else has done it. and you would sell more xbox260 vikings if you just get the word out more. post on game blogs, youtube comments, etc. nobody really knows about it. so how can the thing sell?

odingalt

Staff member
LogicBomb said:
i understand you have to design based on customer base, but still, its only good for 1 game. call of crapper. you should just design, based on my idea, a macro adapter. make it universal for both controllers wired. post on blogs, youtube, etc. the thing will sell. even if you just did a ps3 version, i guarantee it would sell. promote it correctly. dude, its a totally open market. no one else has done it. and you would sell more xbox260 vikings if you just get the word out more. post on game blogs, youtube comments, etc. nobody really knows about it. so how can the thing sell?

I don't necssarily disagree with you. But you sound exactly like the same customers from before who told me to build the macro controller. ;) And look what happened - I listened, developed the macro controller, and it flopped. Unfortunately, 90% of kids who play XBOX360, play "Call of Crapper". Also, macro controller is just too complicated for the average gamer. LogicBomb, sir, you are on that upper end of the gamer bell curve :D

LogicBomb

the viking360 flopped? huh? isnt that all you produce now?
anyway, could you at least make it so someone could plug in the ps3 one into a pc, and with a small program, access the built in macro code and change it? no fancy interface needed. just have the ability to change the code and make your own.

odingalt

Staff member
LogicBomb said:
the viking360 flopped? huh? isnt that all you produce now?
anyway, could you at least make it so someone could plug in the ps3 one into a pc, and with a small program, access the built in macro code and change it? no fancy interface needed. just have the ability to change the code and make your own.

Those products are already available, google for any XCM PS3 products. The only problem is they have to release new versions every 6-12 months as their boxes keep getting banned through PS3 system updates.