PS3 controller testing officially started last night...

odingalt

Staff member
Greetings PS3 console owners.

I have officially started working on a Viking modchip for the PS3. It will very likely be based on the same PIC18 chip that was used in the Viking Legacy controllers. I am in the very early stages of just figuring out how to use the modchip to manipulate the buttons and LED's on the PS3 controller. So far, so good.

I'm fairly confident that we are actually going to be able to provide BUTTON REMAPPING as a feature for our PS3 modchip. I've already successfully remapped the D-pad. I'm pretty sure these buttons can be remapped to each other: L1, L2, R1, R2, all four D-Pads, square, circle, triangle and ex. I will be working to see if it is also possible to remap L3 (stick click), R3 (stick click), start, select.

Analog sticks cannot be remapped, and we have no plans to offer analog stick functionality.

The remapping capability will also allow us to make a new feature "phantom buttons". What is this and how does it work? What we would do is that any time you hold down the tac switch and tap a stock button, that stock button press becomes a 'phantom' button press. In other words, the modchip will see the button press, but the console will not. This will be useful in allowing us to use d-pads, buttons, etc. to enable/disable/scroll through modes, without the game actually picking up on the button press.

As usual, we will be the first mod shop on the planet to offer this kind of feature in a modchip.

Generally I'm very excited about the possibilities of a PS3 mod. We are going back to our roots with a "legacy" style rapidfire controller - but it will still have bigger/badder/better features than the competition at a competetive price. This will probably be very similar to a Thor's Hammer, except with the button re-mapping and phanton button features all being selectable through windows software similar to the legacy hex editor.

It's still going to be a couple months before we have these to market: we still have a lot of R&D, production, employee training, website rennovation, etc.... to perform before we are ready to sell. But based on my testing results this weekend everything looks very promising!

My main challenge right now is dealing with the PS3 controller when it's running off battery vs. when it's powering off the USB cable. It actually reduces the sampling rate depending on whether or not it is running on battery power. I will likely not be posting a lot of useful DIY nor any scope screenshots of the Viking PS3 modchip in action as this is a commercial venture. I don't want to give the competition any ideas... :lol: