PS4 Berserker "pre-order" campaign launched on Kickstarter - pledge your support

odingalt

Staff member
Hi guys, here is a post that went out via newsletter and facebook today. Here is the rundown, but let me know if you have questions:

PS4 Berserker on Kickstarter? To launch XBOX One Berserker, we held a pre-order. To get the PS4 Berserker launched, we have launched a Kickstarter campaign. If you really want the PS4 Berserker to come to fruition, now is the time to show your support for the project by visiting our Kickstarter campaign for the PS4 Berserker:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/845956528/berserker-the-cloud-based-ergonomic-ps4-gaming-con

How does Kickstarter work? We propose a project, and then we set a minimum funding level we need to achieve before going to production with the project. Kickstarter lets interested parties sign up to pledge money to support the project. However, your credit card isn't charged for the pledge unless the minimum funding level is reached. Once the campaign is over, if the project was funded, Kickstarter releases the money to our company in a lump sum, and then we get moving quickly on finishing the PS4 Berserker and going into production for all of our successful pledgers.

We like the kickstarter concept because it lets us know exactly how many PS4 Berserkers we'll need to build to satisfy pre-orders. When we launched XBOX One Berserker, the biggest frustration for customers was not knowing the availability and not knowing the ship-date. Kickstarter helps us know exactly how many units we need to fulfill, lets us put our pledgers first before anyone else, and will help us keep this project on-track. The Kickstarter campaign also helps our small business avoid the risk and frustration of making a mistake by dumping a lot of money into a product that it turns out nobody wants.

This is it, PS4 Berserker fans. If you want the project to happen, head over to our Kickstarter campaign page!

odingalt

Staff member
Thanks! I try to stay away from spam bombing you guys too much, but this particular campaign will be pivotal for us this year. If there was ever a time to try to share your feelings on Viking with your friends, be it twitter, facebook, or old school face to face, now's the time. Apologies in advance as I will be sending out frequent reminders and updates on the Kickstarter campaign all through April and May.

JIM WALKER

Thanks! I try to stay away from spam bombing you guys too much, but this particular campaign will be pivotal for us this year. If there was ever a time to try to share your feelings on Viking with your friends, be it twitter, facebook, or old school face to face, now's the time. Apologies in advance as I will be sending out frequent reminders and updates on the Kickstarter campaign all through April and May.

100% support from me odin, even though I won't be participating as I don't do PS4, but good luck to you ....

Satanicat

Backed, 2nd backer so far. Really hoping this gets funded, you guys deserve it! Controller you mod are impeccable.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
I'd like to pitch the 125$ for the bare bones DIY kit with paddles BUT only if I can get in a Xbox one berserker diy with paddles!

I'd love to support the PS4 macro but Dont plan on buying a PS4 so if there is a way we can make a barter for this i'd be willing to put up the cash toward that 30,000$ marker!

If not I'll still contribute but it would most likely only be for the T-shirt.

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Go for the T-shirt Brian! :) It is indeed an awesome logo if you have not seen it yet.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Just pledged 25$ for the T shirt. I dident see a size option on the Amazon site. If u can please make sure I get a XL if u can look that up Odin. Thanks and let me know if u can do that! Really hope PlayStation finally gets its macro bassed controller! I know it will be a big deal! If u look at sales PS4 is leading so it kinda just makes sense!

Last edited:

Voodoo

Have you considered adding like a $500-600 tier where you get a tee shirt and both the Xbox One and PS4 controllers? That might be an attractive option for some customers.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Its on there Facebook page. If you go to the main viking page u will see a Facebook emblem. Click on that then u will see a thread for their kick starter. From their u sign up with the kick starter and then it takes u to a Amazon site. Nothing is charged until the 30,000$ is meet. If we can't raise the funds then nothing will be charged and we will have lost our shot @ a ps4 macro/berserker controller.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

I've put the word out on the web so hopefully we can pull in some outsiders who may be interested. Hope this can become a reality!

thomwithah

I'm very excited to see this come to Kickstarter. I've been dreaming of a PS4 Berserker since the PS4 was rumored. I've been somewhat active on Kickstarter. My public profile can bee seen here: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/thomwithah . Being a Viking fan and having backed various previous Kickstarter projects, I have some suggestions for the project. I believe these suggestions will improve the likelihood of the project finding success in the Kickstarter environment. The are numbered below, but in no particular order:

1. Make a new lead Video. Keep is short, less than 5 minutes, preferably less than 2. Obviously, the better the production value the better. Some music and graphic transitions can go a long way towards improving the perception of the project. In my limited experience, the projects with the best videos always seem to do well on Kickstarter. You can keep the original, but I'd recommend listing it further down and doing a shorter main video.

2. Clean up the Viking360.com website. Remove any outdated, incomplete, or unclear information from the site. This includes references to things that have past such as the February 14th PS4 Berserker availability, April 20th Android app (on the Xbox One Berserker page), 1 year warranty option (on the Xbox One Berserker page), the format of the link to the Kickstarter project, etc... I think some people will visit the site when deciding to back the project or not. If the site seems to obviously need work, then backers (especially those new to the Viking brand) may not have the proper level of confidence in the project.

3. Include more pictures and graphics. You have some great pictures on the website that could be included in the Kickstarter project. I think the graphics from the website banners, such as the viking woman, are quite nice. I think they would ad some nice "eye candy" to the project. Also, anything that you can picture should be. I would like to see examples of the hydro dip shells, logos for T-shirts, logos for engravings, custom badge graphics, really anything that we can see now would help. The more you can show the more you will sell.

4. List, or specifically address, warranty information.

5. Double check spelling and grammar. Truly, I stink at spelling and grammar (really stink), but even I notice something like "invernet" that I think should read "Internet".

6. Tell backers what to expect regarding collection of information. Specifically, if you'll be using a Kickstarter survey, Backerkit, or some other means to collect the information you'll need from them such as T-shirt size or hydro dip choice. Also, you should tell backers when they should expect you to ask for this information.

7. Consider a Hammacher Schlemmer like short description. They often use words like best, first, only, etc. Many such words apply to your product. "The Cloud-based Ergonomic PS4 Gaming Controller" is descriptive and accurate. That said, I find it less attractive than something like " The worlds only fully programmable custom PS4 controller" or some such. In fact, many of the Berserker's strongest features are not even listed. The words Programmable, Macro, Rapid, Best, and First aren't used at all in the project description. In my opinion they should all appear at least a couple times. Sure, the Berserker is great for someone who needs a ergonomic game controller solution. It's also great for everyone else. I'm not sure, but I'd guess many more controllers are sold for their rapid fire functionality than their ergonomics, by a long shot. Also, Consider that "Phone", and "Android" are two very common Kickstarter searches. Adding these words, as would seem logical, to your projects description should help it to be seen by more people.

8. Consider the Kickstarter audience. They are called backers, not buyers. Many of them take this ****le to heart. They like to feel like they are backing a project so playing to that can be helpful. I think showing things (which aren't proprietary) such as circuit boards, testing rigs, and other "behind the scenes" items adds some value for them. Also, backers seem to love exclusives!!! Offering something that only Kickstarter's can get is always popular. These exclusives are often an exclusive "Kickstarter Green" color option, limited numbered editions, or some such. I recommend you consider at least one pledge level with such an option.

9. Make a comparison table. Compare you products against themselves and anything you consider competition. Include this comparison table in you project description.

10. Leverage all your strengths. You have many that currently go unmentioned.

So, just 10 suggestions I think could help. I really want to see this project be successful. Once I return from vacation and have an actual PC and a bit more time I will be happy to help if you like. Let me know if I can do anything to support the projects success. As for now, I've pledge at the highest tier your offering.

odingalt

Staff member
Thom;

Thanks for the pointers. I have cut a new video tonight. It's two minutes long. It's converting which takes about 2 hours, then another hour to upload. It could be done better, BUT, I'm limited on time, and the key point was your 2-minute suggestion. Internet users are conditioned to have a very short attention span.

I'll have to work on your other pointers as time allows. Stay tuned for the updated video, hopefully late tonight before I hit the sack. It's got logo and snazzy graphics and a snazzy mile-high overview of the Berserker.

I wanted to write a rant about how I don't have the time (which I don't :) with addition of baby #2 early Sunday morning), but my gut says the campaign will fail as it stands now, and your post re-iterates my gut.

thomwithah

WOW!! I like the new video much more. I believe others will to. The new video is definitely easier to digest. Thanks for taking my feedback in a positive way. I didn't know you have had another child. Congratulations!!! You are very ambitious to have so much going on at once. Thank you for even considering doing this project now.

Satanicat

New video is a million times better odingalt/Einar! Checked it out after getting the kickstarter e-mail. Really concise, to the point, and upbeat. Solid intro, really hoping more backers get in on this. Wish Destructoid would have an article about it, I'm sure that would garner a lot of interest.

thomwithah

I sent an email to Destructoid's tips. I thought it was a good idea. I've also shared across various social media. I would be more than happy to share / email other blogs or news sources that anyone might think would pick up the story. Any suggestions? The projects been stuck at 9 backers for a little bit now. Honestly I'm surprised. I know Viking's community has been a bit more Microsoft centric in the past, but I would have thought they'd still be happy to support the project with at least a T-shirt. Of course, having a PS4 berserker means more Forge users and more runes for everyone. So supporting this project is a win for the Microsoft camp in this way as well.

Odingalt,

How would you feel about adding a banner or link right on the front page of Viking360.com and Viking digital.com? This might catch a few more people. As I said, even those not interested in a PS4 Berserker can still be interested in a T-shirt.