Quick question regarding the custom shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabes

Hey, guys.. first time poster.

I honestly had never previously heard about Viking controllers until earlier (Thanks Yahoo answers ;p) and I'm really not sure how I haven't. The potential in these products is far beyond any of the big name brands. So much so, I was instantly set on purchasing one.

Moving onto my question;

I suffer, like many other people, from sweaty hands when gaming. Is there a difference in texture between the shells? I am assuming the "prettier" ones (Fable, Halo etc) are glossy. I'm HOPING that the Xbox black has the slightly rougher feel to it, similar to the ones I currently own.

Could anyone post some insight for me?

Thanks,
Jabes ;)

Ben

Hi!

The Xbox Black one is the Officail MS controller so it will feel like your existing controllers (I prefer this feel).

The National Guard, Fable III, Black Flame & Reach are alot smoother (glossy'er) as you expected.

Let us know if you need anymore questions answered!

Toymachine363

is a custom chell worth it?

hi everyone
i had my eye on the new fable 3 shell. not because i like or even own fable 3, or any others in the series, but because it looks really cool. all of the customs shells actually look really awesome and i would be totally willing to pay the extra $30. BUT are the custom shells comfortable to hold onto? i know they have more of a feeling almost like the shiny stuff that goes on cars (random yeah). so it feels super smooth and stuff. so i know that's different from just g the standard xbox controllers. in your guy's opinion, which is more comfortable/better feeling?

NYjetsNY1

Re: is a custom chell worth it?

I actually prefer my serpent, the shell is easier to hold on than the old one. The only issues with custom shells are the fact that paint can get in unwanted places. My RB button works fine, but its slightly messed up, the paint just gets in the way a bit and makes pressing RB somewhat difficult, but it works fine. Not all controllers will have issues. Just happens sometimes.

Krier023

Useful Poster
nyjets. if that is really a problem for you. im sure you could open up a support ticket and odin would fix it for you

Toymachine363

hey im wondering if its worth it to but a mod now, or wait to see the upgraded controllers that will be realeased by microsoft... i want tio get one soon butt im not sure if it should just wait or not

odingalt

Staff member
A lot of other potential customers have stated their interest in waiting for the new grey microsoft controller with the improved d-pad that is due in November. We can't wait to get our hands on one, too, so we can crack it open and find out if the Viking Macro mod chip is compatible with it :).

Toymachine363

Odin, in your opinion, would you suggest to wait for the new controllers to release? i really want to have a cool shell but i also want the new controllers. i know the new controllers will probably be sold with custom shells but another this that annoys me is the fact of the ABXY buttons being gray. is there something you guys are gonna do about that? :p

odingalt

Staff member
Totally up to your personal preference, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference unless you are playing Super Contra or something. I played with the improved D-PAD on the XCM shells. I liked it, but it wasn't a game changer for me, especially if you just play FPS (in my opinion)

I don't know what games exactly people are playing where D-PAD mispresses are costing them the game?

Galen

Bethesda games like fallout and oblivion use weapon selection with the D-pad and it has 8 slots for your weapon hotkeys. for anyone not retarded you can easily press the diagonal hotkeys with the Dpad with ease but apparently a lot of people have an issue with these games specifically where they simply dont have enough brain power to select the stuff with the D-pad. As a result microsoft made a very ugly controller for those people to rub it in their faces. Honestly, the grey buttons are ugly, the black triggers and line on the top looks stupid on the all grey controller, and the only cool part is the metallic looking D-pad. (frankly i dont see why the buttons couldnt match the D pad but oh well.)

JordanZ

I found it quite hard when scrolling through menus and pressing DOWN quickly I would sometimes press a diagonal and mess it all up,but this is just a minor mistake. I also love how they added new analog sticks, this should be interesting.

Toymachine363

*Microsoft Conference*
"Hey so guys..... you know how every single game that we have uses the ABXY buttons?"
"Yeah!"
"And you know how in the on screen tips it shows the same color as the button color is on the controller?"
"Totally!"
"Ok.... well guys. greatest idea ever right here. bear with me. what if we made the whole controller gray?????? INCLUDING THE BUTTONS!!!!!"
"hes a master!"
"Absolute genius!"
"Where does he think of these things???"
"ok so you guys up for it?"
"no doubt......"

I honestly dont think that the new d-pad is necessary, but it can be useful. i also find myself scrolling through something with the d pad and i hit the left or right one on accident. i absolutely hate the new buttons though. if only we could still have a warranty with the controller open. i would just open up the controller and switch the buttons with the buttons of a different one.

odingalt

Staff member
LOL

We might be able to do a limited time special edition on the grey ones, we may have some extra x,y,b,a buttons at the shop. What about start/select buttons?

xL Reaper

I LOVE the new look of the controller, that silver grey with the two toned buttons, it just looks professional.

Providing your mod chip can fit into these newer controllers, perhaps a custom shells option or a default would be the best way to go?

odingalt

Staff member
Yes if you use games that require 8 directions on the DPAD it's definitely worth the wait, like I said in another post, I was really happy with the improved DPAD that comes with the XCM shells, I'm sure Microsoft will have it as good or better than the XCM shells.

BuddahMonk

odingalt said:
LOL

We might be able to do a limited time special edition on the grey ones, we may have some extra x,y,b,a buttons at the shop. What about start/select buttons?

Hmm. Do you think you can make a black controller with the grey buttons?

Status
Not open for further replies.