we should get to send it in

modman

i think we should be able to send in our old odin raven and get it updated for around $50. i think that this is a really good idea tell me what you think

fathersin

That would be sweet I just bought a controller 5 days ago and it wasn't the new Viking soo I'd love to be able to upgrade I'm sure in time something will be set up well I hope anyhow.

obo

Ok. First off let me say that as an owner of an Odin's Raven, i would love to have a send in option. This would save me a lot of money.

HOWEVER. If viking360 were to do upgrades on previous controllers to new controllers, they would be losing a lot of time and money. It would honestly be more economic for them to start with a new unmodded controller than to take apart the old chip and install the new chip.

Viking360 is a business and businesses that make stupid business decisions don't stay in business for long.
(Like how i used the word business 4 times in that sentence?)

The fact of the matter is. No matter how awesome it would be for everybody with a legacy controller to get their controller upgraded for a reduced price; it's just not going to happen.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

obo said:
Ok. First off let me say that as an owner of an Odin's Raven, i would love to have a send in option. This would save me a lot of money.

HOWEVER. If viking360 were to do upgrades on previous controllers to new controllers, they would be losing a lot of time and money. It would honestly be more economic for them to start with a new unmodded controller than to take apart the old chip and install the new chip.

Viking360 is a business and businesses that make stupid business decisions don't stay in business for long.

The fact of the matter is. No matter how awesome it would be for everybody with a legacy controller to get their controller upgraded for a reduced price; it's just not going to happen.
probably never but maybe in like 6 months to a year from now MAYBE they will have an upgrade service. but key word MAYBE!

odingalt

Staff member
obo said:

Amen brother. I posted about this the other day, I can't find the link. But the gist is, if we offered a send-in service, we would charge you the same price (or possibly even MORE) than the regular price of the controller. For example, if a new controller sells for $199, we would probably charge $215 for a send-in service. Here's how a send-in service worked for us back in 2009 when we used to offer it:

Customer sends in the controller. We receive the controller. The first thing we have to do is test everything on the controller on a console to make sure the customer is not trying to screw us by sending a bad controller. +5 minutes to the install. Ok, so we finally determine the customer did not try to screw us and we open up the controller and, wow, this guy ate a lot of popcorn while playing. Clean the controller using a degreaser because it's disgusting and we can't make a proper install in such a dirty environment. +15 minutes to the install. Also, it turns out the customer lied to us, and there IS an old rapidfire mod installed in the controller even though they told us there was not. It's an extremely poor quality mod installed by a place like SilentModz. They probably tore a trace or damaged an LED when they installed the mod. We have to remove the old mod, plus repair any damaged traces. +35 minutes to the install. Now we have to retest the controller on the console. +5 minutes to the install. Ok, everything works, we have it cleaned, we have removed the old modchip, we have repaired any broken traces or pads from the other mod shop, and NOW we're ready to install the Viking Macro mod chip. We are officially already 60 minutes into the install. So this send-in service is already going to cost us more than a stock install in labor, benefits, overhead and equipment costs.

Other problems that can make this more expensive are: worn out thumbsticks (+$10 to our cost), broken or squeaky triggers, broken bumpers, broken sync button... A typical customer send-in that has an existing mod installed sets us back 60 minutes, but most customers are sending very worn and or broken controllers. And we are expected to provide a warranty on the mod? This basically means we have to replace everything to as-new condition before shipping it back to the customer, or else they will complain about it and then expect to ship it back again for free to repair it again. Not to mention this completely screws with our assembly line that we have set up to process new controllers.

Oh, the customer forgot to mention they lost their PnC battery pack and their PnC cable, so they'd like us to send each of those for free - 'because you'd get one with a new mod'. So what is 60 extra minutes and extra repair parts and an extra PnC cable and battery pack worth? If you can do basic math, you can quickly see that a send-in service is quite often going to end up costing us more to process than a brand new mod install.

So that's why we don't offer send-in service. Because quite frankly, kids send us broken controllers, and there's NO way to tell an honest customer from somebody who's yanking our chain. So seriously, your math is flawed. If our mod is $199, this does not mean that if you send us in an old piece of crap broken controller, that we are going to discount the mod by $59.99... it means that we are going to charge you more for all the trouble that comes with your used controller, which is now worth about $10 - NOT THE ORIGINAL NEW RETAIL PRICE!

odingalt

Staff member
Added to the website's FAQ just now:

"Can I send in my controller and have The Viking installed to save money?

No. Contrary to popular belief, send-in service is not more economical. Used controllers must be tested and cleaned, and any worn, used or broken parts must be replaced, and our staff must remove any other modifications that have already been installed. All of these extras lead to an increase in costs, not a decrease. In addition, Viking360 cannot provide a warranty on used equipment. For these reasons, we only sell brand new modded controllers. This ensures the best balance between quality, warranty and economy for all of our customers."

a42ozslushie

odingalt said:
Added to the website's FAQ just now:

"Can I send in my controller and have The Viking installed to save money?

No. Contrary to popular belief, send-in service is not more economical. Used controllers must be tested and cleaned, and any worn, used or broken parts must be replaced, and our staff must remove any other modifications that have already been installed. All of these extras lead to an increase in costs, not a decrease. In addition, Viking360 cannot provide a warranty on used equipment. For these reasons, we only sell brand new modded controllers. This ensures the best balance between quality, warranty and economy for all of our customers."
Oh darn I was looking forward to something like that. It sucks that the honest customers who take care of their controllers can't get in on a send-in. Too bad no one is honest....
I have a couple controllers I have only played on a few times in they are in perfect condition, never modified. :cry:

PS3andCOD

Contributor
That's how it always goes with everything. A couple of retards ruin it for everyone. I don't even get why they'd want a beat up controller modded, it's just gonna break faster, and then you need to buy a new one.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

PS3andCOD said:
That's how it always goes with everything. A couple of retards ruin it for everyone. I don't even get why they'd want a beat up controller modded, it's just gonna break faster, and then you need to buy a new one.
i have never beaten on anything besides PS2 game discs....i mean thats a wast of money to beat on your controller period. end of story.