Evil, Viking, Greetings

Voodoo

Hello.

I just placed my order and registered, so I thought I'd introduce myself to the Viking community.

I've had one modded controller, ordered it from Evil about couple years ago. Just the Adjustable Rapidfire. You guys remember how big an advantage they offered in MW and then all the single shot's in World at War, I put in my order thinking I was getting the best I could get at the time. I won't lie. It was awesome, saved me lord knows how much carpel tunnel in Left 4 Dead series, love being able to use the akimbo pistols both fast and accurately. What is the point of Zombies if not head shots, right?

Anyway, Black Ops comes along and Madcatz release their controller with extra buttons and I have to have it. Answer to my tactical problem, I can finally knife again. The problem being, the controller just sucks and I lost my rapid fire. I go to the Internet looking for something different that let's me keep the extra buttons, and I found the Razer Onza. I have to say first, it's an awesome controller, far surpasses the Microsoft one in button function, except the sticks. I couldn't sprint and my drop shots got slow, had to lower my sensitivity from 8-10 (using fpsfreeks) to 4-5 (sticks don't fit, trade off for adjustable tension on the sticks but it's weird). More stable but slower reactions, great for fine tuning, long shots.

So, still not happy a year later, hundreds spent on controllers, I write evil an email and talk to them about these buttons and they talk with me about NOMAD and tell me they can add A an B to the back, upgrade my dpad, install evil sticks, and even sell me on adding the drop shot tactical mod, sounds cool. I have yet to actually receive my controller back from Evil but I am sure it'll be great. They really are pretty nice, and have always treated me great even when I needed a repair once.

So, how did I get here? Dude, come on you guys have seen the controller. I saw the video, the site, talked to DakotaKid on YouTube about it, and I knew that I just had to have this controller. It seriously appears to be a product in a league of it's own. While from reading and watching videos, the best I can tell there is some arguement about if this or that controller is faster, in terms of rapid fire, but the fact this can always be updated or adjusted, tweaked to perfection or as near as conceivably possible makes this the appealing if not clear choice on that basis alone. But when I saw that it could record, all I could think about is how nice that would have been for making money in Fable, one button blacksmithing instead of playing that bloody mini game a million times. Lol

I must be missing something though. Everyone seems to complain about the price of this controller, but the thing seems damn reasonable for all it does. Evil's master mod costs like $350 and doesn't do as much. This controller seems like a bargain.

Anyway, glad to be here.

NYjetsNY1

Are you kidding me? We get slammed for our price, $170 is NOTHING for this controller. This controller is our most expensive to make - ever. And it's one of the cheapest.

People had no problem paying $250 + for a simple rapid-fire controller in 2009-2010.

Now $170 is too much for a controller that does EVERYTHING?

Unbelievable.

Love the enthusiasm and thought you posted.

I'm always looking for good people for the viking360 community. If you don't know me already, I make macros. A lot.

I love when people ask me to make macros for games I actually like to play. Things that are useful, that I'll use - awesome.

MW3 is going to be awesome, and of course I'll be making macros for it but I need ideas.

Anyways, yeah, evil charges everything a la carte! Dropshot mod button? $15 ... however much it is.

Better LEDS? Diff colors? More $$$! Features? $$$$$$$

Viking360 - the most powerful controller.
-6 Remapable extra buttons.
-An arsenal of mods, macros, glitches, for any game
-A bargain!
-The best customer service known to man ;)
-Free technical support for all customers, 90 day warranty (doesn't include tampering, don't open your controller or spill coffee on it, etc)
-16 LED colors, a customer gets all of these choices via the software, all included!
-Lots of memory, way more than anything
-Free, powerful software
-An online forum website where people can think up ideas and share, then put these on controllers to lesson work

The list goes on.

We also try to make our rapid-fire the fastest in the world.

Visit my youtube.com/fusionprimezero for viking360 videos as there are new things.

For a speed test, visit here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECk_yTaO ... ideo_title

A game has a patch? We come out with a fix within hours usually. No longer than 48 hours (for rapid-fire).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Feel free to respond, I'd love to hear feedback? Obo what do you think?

PS3andCOD

Contributor
You know what I find very funny? You're comparing two mod companies and your name is the name of a third, unmentioned one.

NYjetsNY1

PS3andCOD said:
You know what I find very funny? You're comparing two mod companies and your name is the name of a third, unmentioned one.

It was pretty funny... Not going to lie. Lol. I was confused at first too.

Voodoo

Nice to meet you Jets Fan.

I checked out the video. That's cool to see. The way I had thought about it. All the games have limits now anyway, so I figure one rapid fire is as good as the next, and this is better than the rest because like you said, if it gets patched or isn't fast enough for one game to be slow enough for the next, just isn't an issue with this controller. Ironically, also the reason I got the adjustable rapid fire from Evil, instead of one of the game specific rapid-fire controllers. Who is going to spend however much for a controller and throw it away when the next game comes out next year or whatever? I don't think so.

It's worth mention, I noticed in your video you say it's WIndows only. I use a mac, and I setup a Boot Camp partition and installed Windows, and I was able to install and run the Viking 360 software that way. So, it's not totally out of reach to mac users.

Hey PS3andCOD, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't really trying to compair and contrast controllers or anything. I might a little once I actually get my controller, but I was really just talking about how I came to order a Viking controller. I also talk about Madcatz and Razer (love my Razer keyboard).

I was going to say that, instead of discontinuing this controller, they should raise the price on up to where it "should" be, and just sell the other ones to people that don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles. I had the impression the only thing maybe working against Viking was that the name isn't really out there, but I didn't even know about Voodoo controllers either. So, make of that what you will.

I will say though, it should be kinda evident from my first post though. I've shopped a lot for controllers, and it was only through a small blurb on a forum somewhere about someone saying Viking controllers were the best that ever brought them to my attention, and I doubted it a little at first due to the relatively little info and web presence Viking has out there. It just didn't seem like enough for such a perceivably great product.

Ben

Voodoo controllers was something else but re-branded. I remember a massive discussion about it all about a year back, Einar will probably remember what it was.

Possibly Crown Mods?

P.s. welcome to the forums Voodoo! :D

NYjetsNY1

Voodoo said:
Nice to meet you Jets Fan.

I checked out the video. That's cool to see. The way I had thought about it. All the games have limits now anyway, so I figure one rapid fire is as good as the next, and this is better than the rest because like you said, if it gets patched or isn't fast enough for one game to be slow enough for the next, just isn't an issue with this controller. Ironically, also the reason I got the adjustable rapid fire from Evil, instead of one of the game specific rapid-fire controllers. Who is going to spend however much for a controller and throw it away when the next game comes out next year or whatever? I don't think so.

It's worth mention, I noticed in your video you say it's WIndows only. I use a mac, and I setup a Boot Camp partition and installed Windows, and I was able to install and run the Viking 360 software that way. So, it's not totally out of reach to mac users.

Hey PS3andCOD, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't really trying to compair and contrast controllers or anything. I might a little once I actually get my controller, but I was really just talking about how I came to order a Viking controller. I also talk about Madcatz and Razer (love my Razer keyboard).

I was going to say that, instead of discontinuing this controller, they should raise the price on up to where it "should" be, and just sell the other ones to people that don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles. I had the impression the only thing maybe working against Viking was that the name isn't really out there, but I didn't even know about Voodoo controllers either. So, make of that what you will.

I will say though, it should be kinda evident from my first post though. I've shopped a lot for controllers, and it was only through a small blurb on a forum somewhere about someone saying Viking controllers were the best that ever brought them to my attention, and I doubted it a little at first due to the relatively little info and web presence Viking has out there. It just didn't seem like enough for such a perceivably great product.

We don't spend any money on advertising. We go for word of mouth. Otherwise we'd have a controller as bad as evil.

Advertising + Bad controller > No advertising + Best controller on market.

Oh well.

"It's worth mention, I noticed in your video you say it's WIndows only. I use a mac, and I setup a Boot Camp partition and installed Windows, and I was able to install and run the Viking 360 software that way. So, it's not totally out of reach to mac users."

I am able to run viking360 software on any of my virtual machines on my many macs. Unfortunately, there is a big problem. The mac just doesn't work with the controller! I have tried vmware + parallels.

So far boot camp has a 100% working rate for the controller connecting. Go figure.

Still though, we can't go saying it works on a mac as you must have windows, boot camp, all running smoothly. And we still aren't 100% certain it will always work.

Ben said:
Voodoo controllers was something else but re-branded. I remember a massive discussion about it all about a year back, Einar will probably remember what it was.

Possibly Crown Mods?

P.s. welcome to the forums Voodoo! :D

Sounds like Crown Mods. Voodoo controllers are the worst on the market, and CrownMods is gone - and I have heard they merged or something.

Ben

Crown mods went down or something, can't remember why, probably on here somewhere. Then the same guy opened Voodoo, I do like their site though, looks smart, shame about their products really..

Voodoo

Thanks Ben. I appreciate it.

I completely understand Jet. That makes sense. I guess there is a bit of a leap between being able to get it working in Windows via Boot Camp, and it actually being mac compatible.

You had me a little worried for a second there, though. I was reading on the edge of my seat. I read "Unfortunately, there is a big problem. The mac just doesn't work with the controller!" thinking, "Oh no, this is going to be the most expensive controller ever if I have to actually buy a PC to...Oh okay." lol

NYjetsNY1

Voodoo said:
Thanks Ben. I appreciate it.

I completely understand Jet. That makes sense. I guess there is a bit of a leap between being able to get it working in Windows via Boot Camp, and it actually being mac compatible.

You had me a little worried for a second there, though. I was reading on the edge of my seat. I read "Unfortunately, there is a big problem. The mac just doesn't work with the controller!" thinking, "Oh no, this is going to be the most expensive controller ever if I have to actually buy a PC to...Oh okay." lol

Gotcha there! Still not mac compatible though, but works if certain things are met.

odingalt

Staff member
Voodoo said:
I must be missing something though. Everyone seems to complain about the price of this controller, but the thing seems darn reasonable for all it does. Evil's master mod costs like $350 and doesn't do as much. This controller seems like a bargain.

Anyway, glad to be here.

You are our new spokesperson. :lol: Thanks for the thumbs up. Our prices are definitely very, very competitive when compared to similar "super" modded controllers like the Master Mod.

odingalt

Staff member
P.S. on Windows / Mac / Linux / Android compatibility... we have no plans to support the extra operating systems on our existing controllers. :-( We just didn't think ahead early in the development stages of our current deployment of technology to accomodate the different operating systems.

But we DO UNDERSTAND that Windows is losing it's market share in that 12-25 age group. A lot of people are running macbooks, ipads, motorola pads, android phones, iphones, linux, etc.... this winter I am going to start schooling myself on cross-platform deployment of software. Hopefully in 2012 we can be more cross-platform friendly. I think we HAVE to, to stay competetive and "ahead of the curve".

Since our stuff works over USB, if I play ahead properly, I should be able to find a way to release our applications across multiple operating systems. It's just a matter of proper planning ahead of time to help keep the software costs down.

Voodoo

That's really smart of you to be planning ahead because I think you're totally right. I remember when I first moved out to college, it was so important to me to have my own laptop, could not imagine not being able to get online and do all the stuff I did then, dumb as half of it probably was, anyway. Looking back, it might not have been a top priority if I was leaving for college all over again today. I've got my PS3, iPhone, iPad, etc.. All of which I can surf the net, twitter, whatever. Going to drop the money on a computer, they have those in the lab, let's order pizza, herb, a Viking 360 controller maybe?

I am not sure if you've considered it yet, but have you thought Cloud? Keep the bulk of the software on a sever, and have the user side software basically be terminal apps. Browse the library, upload, download, edit, etc, and best of all if it all runs off a centralized server, it allows you to spread updates through the community faster, etc. Which as you know means a better functioning product and happier customers. Plus it gives you the added benefit of being able to protect sensitive proprietary software. Would suck to see NjordNerd2000's hitting the market on the back of your hard work. Maybe something to keep in mind.

Anyway, you know you've got one ready, waiting, and willing beta tester here when the time comes.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I don't think Viking's a big enough company to go to a cloud based format... Just doesn't make sense to me. Downloads are so much easier to set up too I bet.

Voodoo

Little marshmallowy cloud maybe? I thought they were becoming commonplace tech now, home clouds and stuff. I don't know, was just an idea. I'm sure Odin will figure out whatever works best.

odingalt

Staff member
Voodoo said:
I am not sure if you've considered it yet, but have you thought Cloud? Keep the bulk of the software on a sever, and have the user side software basically be terminal apps. Browse the library, upload, download, edit, etc, and best of all if it all runs off a centralized server, it allows you to spread updates through the community faster, etc. Which as you know means a better functioning product and happier customers. Plus it gives you the added benefit of being able to protect sensitive proprietary software. Would suck to see NjordNerd2000's hitting the market on the back of your hard work. Maybe something to keep in mind.

One of our developers actually suggested this way back on the original legacy controllers when we first released the "hex editor". The difficulty is in getting control over the USB. I don't know how to code in Java. My first guess is Java would be the software to try to take USB control through a web app?

I don't know if we will go cloud based or if we will just try to support multiple platforms through multiple versions of client software (windows, mac, linux). Even if we go cloud-based to the extent you're suggestin, we still have to write different applets for each target client (windows, mac, linux)?

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

odingalt said:
Voodoo said:

One of our developers actually suggested this way back on the original legacy controllers when we first released the "hex editor". The difficulty is in getting control over the USB. I don't know how to code in Java. My first guess is Java would be the software to try to take USB control through a web app?

I don't know if we will go cloud based or if we will just try to support multiple platforms through multiple versions of client software (windows, mac, linux). Even if we go cloud-based to the extent you're suggestin, we still have to write different applets for each target client (windows, mac, linux)?
honestly java is loosing marketshare since SUN was purchased buy oracle...i think HTML5 is going to take over that market...but thats personal opinion

Last edited:

Voodoo

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around. It's been a crazy week, just been staying swamped at work. We have a big project we've been trying to get wrapped up. I haven't even had a chance to use my controller more than an hour or two since I got it. lol

Alas, I will qualify that I could be totally wrong on this one because I do not have an working knowledge of the challenges surrounding the USB/controller technology, but as fas as the apps go, I am pretty sure you do not require multi-platform apps.

As I understand, you'd need two apps to cover the bases in conjunction with the current software. iApp and Android marketplace app. I am not in app design or anything, but I know some people that are, and from what I understand it's fairly straightforward to port an app to both with little more effort than it would take to only have it on one platform. With that in mind, Mac's already have an app store available to them, and I've heard rumors that they're on the way for PC users. So, with that in mind, the app route could/would potentially solve your Mac, tablet, etc desires.

odingalt

Staff member
Voodoo said:
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around. It's been a crazy week, just been staying swamped at work. We have a big project we've been trying to get wrapped up. I haven't even had a chance to use my controller more than an hour or two since I got it. lol

Alas, I will qualify that I could be totally wrong on this one because I do not have an working knowledge of the challenges surrounding the USB/controller technology, but as fas as the apps go, I am pretty sure you do not require multi-platform apps.

As I understand, you'd need two apps to cover the bases in conjunction with the current software. iApp and Android marketplace app. I am not in app design or anything, but I know some people that are, and from what I understand it's fairly straightforward to port an app to both with little more effort than it would take to only have it on one platform. With that in mind, Mac's already have an app store available to them, and I've heard rumors that they're on the way for PC users. So, with that in mind, the app route could/would potentially solve your Mac, tablet, etc desires.

Customers always asking for PC, Max and Linux compatibility. Those applications have to be modified a fourth and fifth time to run on Android and I-devices. Some of the Android/I-Devices do not have USB host capability, which increases costs on my side as I then have to move to USB OTG (on-the-go) capable devices and write my devices to act as the USB host. I don't see any way not to support 5 different platforms. With that said, so long as I know what I'm getting into ahead of time and I can plan my design schedule and resources accordingly, I should be able to do it. It just means a few less features in the software and the controller to cut costs, but then those savings are re-used for providing broader platform support.

The fact is customers are going to use whatever device fits their fancy that day. I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola/Google come out with a new operating system and hardware line, or make dramatic changes in an Android 4.0 or 5.0 release, that is designed at competing directly with Windows O/S. USB code is somewhat portable, really the USB part itself is easy, it's learning the nuances of the system classes on each platform and bug hunting that's the fun part.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

what about an IOS or android app that allows you to make macros then import the files to your computer? just a sugestion because i know when im at school i come up with great ideas for macros but forget them when i finally get home to the computer