Berserker vs Ragnarok

Agent

I wasn't necessarily sure where to post this as there is no General Discussion section for Xbox One controllers so hopefully this is the appropriate place.

Now that I have my Xbox One I am trying to decide which controller I want to buy. I know that overall the Berserker would be the hands down best choice but I am trying to decide which controller best suits my needs. Obviously the Ragnarok is cheaper but I'm not sure if I like the Xbox One Ragnarok the way I liked the 360 Ragnarok.

The reason for this is it appears as if the Xbox One Ragnarok is not USB reprogrammable. This was a major selling point for me as to reprogram the 360 variant you didn't have to constantly review instructions or do various button presses (I speak more for setting custom speeds than anything else). The upside to this controller in my eyes is that you don't have to create completely custom Macros and instead can just program a setting for a certain feature. I do understand that the controller has the lights on it that act as an interface but this can be more confusing, although I'm not sure as I have never actually used one of these controllers.

Now the upside with the Berserker is obviously the fact that you can plug the controller into the computer and do everything using a UI. Also the fact that Runes can be shared means that I can use other people's setups rather than making my own. The simplicity and the price of the Ragnarok over the Berserker still simply ways in too much for me.

Any third party opinions would be greatly appreciated. If there is in fact a way to reprogram the Ragnarok using a computer please correct me and that should make things a lot easier. If not, Odin; is there any possibility of a USB reprogrammable Ragnarok coming to the Xbox One in the future?

Last edited:

modded matt

If all you play is COD, get the Rag, but if anything changes in the game, they are not usb so your stuck with it. The rag is a good controller, but not a macro/berserker.

If you are like me and play a vast array of games, the Berserker is what you want.

Agent

If all you play is COD, get the Rag, but if anything changes in the game, they are not usb so your stuck with it. The rag is a good controller, but not a macro/berserker.

If you are like me and play a vast array of games, the Berserker is what you want.

That's exactly my predicament as all I play is COD but I like the rewritable feature that the Berserker has.

noonoo390

no macro record feature for the xboxone version yet dnt know whats taking so long and why it wasent shiped with the controller until then its just feeel like the controller is missing something

odingalt

Staff member
You can technically make all possible macros without the recording feature. However we will be resuming work on completing the recording feature... no exact ETA, I can just say we will be resuming active work on the project after a 5 month break (due to budget issues).

odingalt

Staff member
Any possibility of an Xbox One USB Ragnarok in the future Odin?

Sort of: The plan is to actually retire the XBOX One Ragnarok altogether, it will only be non-USB. We are going to do more in terms of offering the Berserker at different price points depending on what the customer needs (i.e. you can buy Berserker with lifetime forge access like we have now, or, if you just want plug and play, you can buy a less expensive Berserker that only comes with a "Ragnarok" rune pack preloaded. Or if you only play Forza you could buy a Berserker that comes with a Forza game pack. Etc.). When the Viking Forge is fully completed, we will sell a less expensive version of the Berserker (that has USB) that comes with a "Ragnarok Rune Pack". Then we just need to keep the runepack updated in terms of rolling software updates to "Ragnarok" customers.

Long story short, the reason we went web-based with the Viking Forge was to have this all in one platform where we could roll updates a lot easier, and also just have our staff basically build one piece of hardware in the shop. We are doing a lot on the back end that you guys aren't seeing to try to streamline this so we can more easily keep up on the software updates and whatnot over the life cycle of XBOX One/PS4 controllers.

Agent

Oh ok. Do you have an estimated price point for the lower end Berserker for use with Call of Duty? I am eying the Berserker on the Deals page but if I could get one cheaper I would prefer that. Will these new Ragnarok rune packs work with the full fledged Berserker too?

modded matt

This is more inlines with other mod shops who make you buy mod packs. I understand this from a business standpoint as I have always been surprised with the " free updates for life" approach Viking has always taken. You will notice as with other mod shops, the COD pack is going to be the most popular, and with the supply and demand business practice, the COD pack should rightfully cost more than others.

I offer this warning to all active members of Viking, get in on the ground floor now while you can get the full berserker with lifetime membership and just sit tight until everything develops further as you should be grandfathered into the new system.

Agent

That's exactly what I was thinking Matt which is why i'm considering buying the Berserker on the deals page now but I just want to wait on an answer from Odin to be sure. If i'm making an investment like this I want it to be something that will last.

noonoo390

i use the record feature for games like madden and nba2k15 on nba 2k15 its just easy to record the perfect jumpshot and in madden i can record a special play and when i want to use that play the macro will set it up for me ,in madden theres so many plays i forget sometime how to set them up thats when the macro comes in hand ,with just the press of a button it will playback that setup. i love that feature

Agent

Great! I just purchased the Berserker on the deals page a few minutes ago, I wanted paddle switches but it will have to do as I can't afford full price lol.

odingalt

Staff member
Oh ok. Do you have an estimated price point for the lower end Berserker for use with Call of Duty? I am eying the Berserker on the Deals page but if I could get one cheaper I would prefer that. Will these new Ragnarok rune packs work with the full fledged Berserker too?

I would like to see this new lower end Berserker at or less than $150. We are revamping the mod chip to make the install easier (meaning less labor, meaning less cost). It's not ready yet but working on it feverishly along with everything else.