can not connect controller to my computer

new berserker controller will not connect to my windows computer

plus it says on my computer modchip needs to be in bootloader mode ??????

i'm going to send this controller back because it will not connect and im getting very frustrated with this as I had ragnorak controllers before for 360 and a loyal customer ugghhhhh

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
XBOX One Berserker. There are two USB ports on the XBOX One Berserker. There is the "stock" charging port on the top of the controller - this is the USB port that exists on all Microsoft controllers. Then there should be a second aftermarket USB port on the bototm that we cut-in to the controller. This is the USB port for communicating to the modchip.

If the XBOX One controller is not hooked up to a computer or a console, it puts itself to sleep to conserve power. This is bad because we need the controller to stay powered on in order to communicate with the modchip. So we end up plugging both USB cables into the controller when programming it with the computer.

1. ) Start with the controller powered off and no cables plugged in.
2.) Hold down the left and right bumpers and power up the controller (or hold the left and right bumpers and plug in the USB cable to the charge port)
3.) You should see a solid purple light.
4.) Plug in the second USB cable from the controller to your computer. Windows should automatically install the driver and then the purple LED's should start flashing
5.) Launch the Forge USB App for windows, it should see the controller and read out the serial number, firmware (FW) version and hardware (HW) version

So long story short, if you want to connect to the computer to program the modchip you have to manually put it into bootloader (programming) mode, this is done by holding both bumpers when powering up the controller. Then you need to keep the controller from falling asleep, this can be done either by plugging in both USB cablse at the same time, or having the XBOX One console nearby so the controller can see it and decide to stay awake.

just tried and it does not want to connect and I love the controllers that I have bought before and I just spent over a $1000 on three controllers and im getting pissed now sorry for my rant

odingalt

Staff member
If you start with the controller powered off (the XBOX guide button light is off, not white), and hold down both bumpers while powering it up, and you don't get a purple light, then something is wrong.

I tshould power up with a purple light, and then when you plug in the USB cable, start flashing purple. The techs test this all out before shipping (they have to, because they use the USB programming/bootloader mode to register your device, load the firmware and load up the default rapidfire rune pack).

Windows will automatically install a generic USB device driver upon your first connect. This will take a few minutes. If you don't see a pop-up in your task bar in windows showing a USB driver installing then again something is wrong.

Start with power off (all lights off), hold both bumpers, power on. No purple light? Give up, ship it back. :-(

I tried all your steps and its not seeing it and I think there is something wrong and would like a replacement as I love these controllers and how would I ship it back to get a replacement

odingalt

Staff member
I updated the support system ticket with return information. I created a short video just in case, but don't think it will help (video is uploading, about 50% done, shoudl display once youtube is done uploading and transcoding the video):

https://youtu.be/5Sqmp06YGmc

(
Ignore the wires hanging out, this is an old development controller)

odingalt

Staff member
I'll be curious to hear about the diagnosis on the controller. We've been building this generation of XBOX One Berserkers for awhile and we actually hired our old tech back on an as-need basis to build our XBOX One Berserkers because she has so much experience with them. We run it through a whole gamut of tests, we literally can't ship it if the USB doesn't work because that's how we run the button tests and that's how we register the device with the forge. I am disappointed along with you!