Changing Buttons and Analog

DeanRendar

Has anyone successfully done a button and analog stick swap?

I have silver modsticks
[attachment=0:16dgkevm]ms.jpg[/attachment:16dgkevm]
and grey gradient buttons
[attachment=1:16dgkevm]gb.JPG[/attachment:16dgkevm]
that I wanna swap onto my Black Viking360. I've been told this would void my warranty by opening it. But I dont mind. Although, I'm not capable of soldering anything back together.

Will I encounter some wires that are just destined to break off if I attempt opening?

Thanks. Really look forward to some GOW2 Hammerbursting once it arrives! XD

Attachments

• gb.JPG
    gb.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 108
  • ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 108

NYjetsNY1

Has anyone successfully done a button and analog stick swap?

Yes but they went through great lengths, had experience, and broke it the first try but ended up reinstalling things and fixing it themselves or buying a new one.

I've been told this would void my warranty by opening it.

Yep, you will end up with a $200 paperweight if broken (approx).

Will I encounter some wires that are just destined to break off if I attempt opening?

Yes. There is a huge percent chance of failure. Even top modders mess up.

Good luck. Viking360 is not responsible for anything that may occur by modding the controller (basically if you remove the warranty sticker).

WetterThanWater

You have to be REALLY careful when opening it, you can easily break a few traces by opening it if you're not careful, if you ever looked inside yours, its a mess of wires. And yes, Viking360 has a no tampering policy, they will not help you repair it if you screw it up.

DeanRendar

Yikes, sounds like it isnt worth the hastle. But it sounds like its difficult, yet not impossible. Has anyone with amateur modding abilities pulled it off?

Ben

I was looking at those modsticks! They look pretty cool!

I would advise sending it to me or Fredrow.. We know our way round the Macro controller :cool:

oDEEKo

I deffo wouldn't attempt it without soldering skills/ equipment... The wires for the tac switches are very delicately soldered to the switch 'legs', it's very likely that while separating the case and swapping the bits over you will stress one of the solder joins and it'll come away. Relatively easy to fix if you've got the kit/ skills, if not you're screwed :|

I've done lots of controller modding, console chipping, electronics work over the years and consider myself a dab hand :lol: After my 90 days warranty were up I decided to replace the underneath tac switches with slightly longer ones which protrude from the case more ( personal preference ;) ) as well as add two more tacs to the underneath which duplicate the two on the top of the controller ( means I can make one page macro sets with six easily accessible macro tacs :twisted: )

Even with my skillz :p and taking great care I still managed to pull one of the wires away from a top face tac switch when I first opened the case.

DeanRendar

Thanks for all the feedback guys. :)
I decided to go ahead and separate the top half very slowly and carefully. And there I saw were 2 pairs of wires running to the tac buttons on the top half from the main board. Just had to separate the top half and raise above the analog sticks then place slightly below the analog sticks while on top of the bottom half keeping sure that im not stressing out and stretching any wires. And from there it was simply a matter of pulling out the old sticks and pressing in the new ones and repositioning the top half back on. The buttons I had to install upside down with the top half of the controller facing down and the 2 halves kinda open like a clam or pacman near the shoulder buttons, slid in the buttons one at a time, then placed the rubber button depressor pad directly on the buttons the same way I found it. And thats it, just reassemble and add accessories. in This case, 3 more:

Geltabz analog stick grips , they changed the surface of the analog sticks from a dish to more of the PS3 kind
312m0FBi9zL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Black Silicone Sleeve Protector
, I had to cut 2 custom holes in the bottom side of the sleeve to accommodate the chatpad round tabs that insert and lock in to the stock screw holes (used scissors).
31FqcN1q2gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Black Microsoft Chatpad , I dont send messages that frequent, but I just love having that thing on there. Makes the controller seem like its capable and ready for anything.
41SJDMZz8bL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And the finished product, and YES, it still works, thankfully nothing broke:
[attachment=4:1n5dc47m]S6301853.JPG[/attachment:1n5dc47m]
[attachment=3:1n5dc47m]S6301854.JPG[/attachment:1n5dc47m]
[attachment=2:1n5dc47m]S6301857.JPG[/attachment:1n5dc47m]
[attachment=0:1n5dc47m]S6301856.JPG[/attachment:1n5dc47m]
[attachment=1:1n5dc47m]S6301855.JPG[/attachment:1n5dc47m]
This photo compares the stock height of the Original analog sticks to the Modsticks:
S630185c8.jpg

a.jpg

As u can see there are no holes cut out in the silicone sleeve for any Tac buttons, I like the thought that they're safe under there, as my older Rapid Fire controller got gunk caught in the tac hole and wouldnt depress so it got stuck. I can still feel a protrusion and hear the "clicky-click" of the 4 bottom tac and 2 top tac buttons. They're like hidden bonus buttons that you could only use if u were aware of them. Thanks for all your guys info.

Now I know I can fully enjoy my GOW2/GOW3 experience knowing I got all the hot gear I can think of on this puppy. The GOW2/GOW3 Beta Hammerburst with rapid fire and no recoil is making me feel giddy as my sinful secret weapon. And the silver D-pad joystick helps me switch weapons with less travel and accurately! Great Birthday gift to myself.
:mrgreen:

Attachments

• S6301853.JPG
    976.6 KB · Views: 109
  • S6301854.JPG
  • S6301857.JPG
  • S6301855.JPG
  • S6301856.JPG

oDEEKo

Congrats! Glad all went well for ya ;)

I reckon you could build up some good muscle mass doing bicep curls while you're playin with that controller now :lol:

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Nope, changing the sticks doesn't affect the actual signal the controller gets. It just increases the leverage on the thinger making the signal. Anti-recoils will work the same for him as anyone else.

Ben

PS3andCOD said:
Nope, changing the sticks doesn't affect the actual signal the controller gets. It just increases the leverage on the thinger making the signal. Anti-recoils will work the same for him as anyone else.

Exactly! Haven't different sticks on there doesn't change a think software wise!