Complete Tutorial for a Xbox One Scuf Mod

Oneeyedwonder37

Hey guys,
I recently uploaded a really easy step by step video on how to make a "scuf gaming" like controller with the xbox one! Save yourselves some money and check it out!
In addition I uploaded a video on exactly how to make a "Scuf grip" Like the ones Scuf can make in a factory! My new "Scuf" Is exactly like, if not better, than the ones that cost around 200 dollars and it only cost me about 40 bucks (Plus a controller)! Check it out!
Also a HUGE thanks to RDC for the controller scans!

Last edited:

modded matt

This is a well put together video, but a few notes should be made. Constructive criticism if you will.

#1. First and foremost, stop scratching your balls when making a video. you did it twice.
#2. The reason your having issues finding your 30g wire at radio shack is because they do not sell it. If you plan to do any serious modding, buy 30g kinar wire off ebay. The wire you are using is called wrapping wire radio shack carries it in blue and white, neither of which is recommended for this work. atleast your did not use magnet wire...
#3. Grounds... good god man, why? a ground point is a ground point, they all tie together. One of the most important aspects of modding is wire management. When you have extra long wires, All of your wires in this video are twice as long as they need to be. (open one of mine, vikings, or a scuff controller and you will quickly notice the difference.shorten those wires) back on topic, tie all four of your tact switch ground legs together at the shell in a "daisy chain" fassion. (these wires will be maybe an inch long depending on where you actually located the tacts. then run one wire to ground and tie it to the chain. this saves 3 long wires, gives a much cleaner look and less chance to pinch something.
#4. The B button via can be tapped at many other locations. Most new users who would use this tut will not be comfortable with the Via you have chosen as it is surrounded by many other traces and vias. Here is the completed trace see the third pic down, the B button via runs down and across the bottom of the controller where nothing else is near it. This would be much safer for newbies. http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43204.0.html
#5. Scuff uses a custom LI-PO battery, charger and custom battery cover. will your screws allow use of standard batteries? Please show how you actually attached the pedals.
#6. Your cold soldering methods are not preferred and can easily lead to a "dry" joint that will likely fail after a bit of use.

I wish people would use a different term for describing a controller with paddle switches. how well would it go over if I released an opensource macro chip and call it a viking like controller? I bet not well. This is the same feeling the experienced modders get when they see these terms used to copy someone elses work. This is not even a remap controller. this is a button relocation mod using paddles. Not Scuff like. There is much more tech in the scuff controller that you probabl;y have no clue of. A scuff controller has a remap chip, with onboard 3.7V charger, protection circuit and voltage regulator and an internal battery. The scuff controller does not hard wire in a button, it allows a remap so any face button can be relocated to any of the tact paddles. alot of time, thought, and money went into its design and to have people butcher the design as you have could be considered flattering, but most likely insulting.

ALL VIKING USERS SHOULD ALSO KNOW THAT THE VIKING MACRO AND BERSERKER WILL DO WHAT A SCUFF DOES, BUT MUCH, MUCH MORE.

FYI here is the scuff mod chip: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75177275/Scuff/5.jpg

bonefisher

Originally Matt the scuf did this to there first controllers then they got into the remapping chip. The paddles were great on the 360 but when they did this to the xbox one left them to hard to reach due to the shape. This is why Viking is head of the ball game with the way there paddles sit for sure comfort!

Last edited:

JIM WALKER

Thanks for your response Matt, my thoughts were that it was a little insulting to even post the subject as it clearly is not anything like a scuff, your tech rebuttals are on the nose, plus, as bone says, Viking sits in the hand so much better and does more .... Sorry oneeye, don't want to squash your enthusiasm but you should improve a bit before publishing ....

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
I respect your ambition to provide a button mimic scuff style XB1 controller. With that said this is far from scuff technology.

RDC actually makes a button remapper where u could build a true remapple scuff xb1 controller.

I made a XB1 remapplible controller with a mod chip and nintendo 3ds slider in place of the d pad. This was for acid mods winter mod off.

Take the wisdom matt shared to u. Dasiy chain your tact button grounds together and run one ground wire to the XB1 controller ground TP. Use 30 awg wire. Its the wire every real modder uses. Change your soldering technique. Your technique leaves week cold joints. Clean your wire runs up. There's no need to have a long rats nest of wires everywhere that can potentially position themselves in pintch points.

This is nothing new by any means. This button mimicking has been out for many years. Maybe your should talk to RDC and see if u can buy some button remapper chips off of him. This will at least give u the technology to make a true button re mapper. I'd clean your video up and re post it on YouTube or something. Your not showing us anything we haven't seen a 100000 times before.

Oneeyedwonder37

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys :) For the record I am well aware that you can buy remapping chips, however this video was for a novice, And I am far from done yet, I already ordered a remapping chip from another website and fully prepared for that video as well. The grounds thing is messy though thats for sure :). I didn't mean to offend any of the modding pros on here :) I mean, I learned everything about modding from you guys :)

Oneeyedwonder37

As far as the name "Scuf Like" goes I dislike it as well, however you have to title your videos something that when a novice reads they will understand and want to click on, If i had titled it "button relocation mod using paddles" no one who sees that would click it.

bonefisher

As far as the name "Scuf Like" goes I dislike it as well, however you have to title your videos something that when a novice reads they will understand and want to click on, If i had titled it "button relocation mod using paddles" no one who sees that would click it.
This is what scuf did when they started out....so scuf like is right on target. On everything else pay close attention...Good luck on the next one!

Mike Sims

I realize this thread is old ... but a friend of mine asked me to do a X O button remap on his PS4 controller, so I got some paddles (the thin ones) from ebay as well as some tactile switches ... the bag of 50 for $8 kind and I'm not impressed with the switches ... they seem like over time they will break down, and the paddle slips off of the switch when he gets too excited and hits the paddle too hard. I think this is mainly because the paddles are thin and the distance between the mount point for the paddles and the button are too far so there ends up being too much play in the paddle.

Can someone recommend a decent quality button that I can actually mount to the controller without having to use epoxy, that has a decent duty cycle rating and also has a wide enough surface so that the paddle wont be able to slip off of it? Oh, and it would be nice to have it actuate the contact with as little distance as possible as my friend seems to think that these small tact switches need too much distance to actuate ... even though the paddle is resting right on top of the button with almost no space between them at all.

Thank you very much.

odingalt

Staff member
A lot of people are making their own paddles from aluminum, if you have tin snips and a grinder and/or a polisher you can handmake something possibly to suit your exact specs?