customer support controller issue...

Drastic

Viking-
"Greetings;
Unfortunately stick quality has not improved on XBOX One as compared to XBOX 360. The sticks will wear out from normal use, some faster than others. We can quote an out of warranty repair on on or both sticks.
The Microsoft support forums are chock full of similar complaints on stock XBOX Ones:

I wish we could say that we could warranty the sticks forever and replace them for customers for free very 6 months as they wear out but it's just not economically feasible. Ifi there were a way to buy higher quality sticks and swap out the Microsoft junk, we'd do it in a hearbeat."

I don't know what to say... unbelievable!... in my opinion...

odingalt

Staff member
Nothing we can do about Microsoft's continued committment to shoddy quality thumbsticks.

Either that or you guys log a lot more hours on your controllers than you're willing to admit :)

Official XBOX support forums are chock full of stick drift complaints:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4677/t/1846667.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4677/t/1889477.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4677/t/1843416.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1676326.aspx

The list goes on.

Drastic

I actually think the quality is worse because I had my 360 macro controller since it launched and those sticks are still in good shape, compared to my Berserker's sticks. Please review my ticket#DNY-02461

odingalt

Staff member
There was a 1 year warranty on Berserker pre-orders (but not a lifetime warranty, there was/is "lifetime forge" membership, some day in the future we were looking at charging for individual runepacks and dropping the price of the hardware).

We don't have MTBF statistics on Microsoft joysticks to know how to price a lifetime warranty. It would be difficult to tell the difference between bad quality Microsoft joysticks and controllers banged on a coffee table from a bad match. I can't see a way to be sure we avoid losing money in offering a lifetime warranty on thumbsticks. Same goes for bumpers really, the next most common failure on controllers from my memory is worn out bumper tact switches needing replacement.

I don't have a good solution for bad Microsoft joysticks. The original Berserker modchip is a worse install than XBOX 360 Macro - it's a flex modchip install with many wires instead of a solderless like the XBOX 360 macro modchip. We do have a solderless modchip for Berserker coming shortly, it should make transplants less painful, but it doesn't help your case since you have the old flex modchip. The new solderless Berserker modchip will be a little better than the original XBOX 360 macro modchip, because we have put the USB jack and the LED driver board on flex ribbon connectors/cables (instead of hand soldered wires), and the XBOX One thumbsticks both sit on the "boomerang" board. Thumbstick replacement would entail disassembling the controller and removing the "boomerang" board and modchip but hopefully not soldering. When replacing the Boomerang board it still requires a whole controller as a donor (as we can't buy just boomerang board), but we should be able to save on labor and the standard thumbstick replacement cost down from the $100 price range which is what it normally takes us to do a thumbstick change or circuit board swap on an XBOX 360 macro.

We built a couple prototypes of Berserker solderless to test but have not done the production run yet, the assembly line is tied up doing contract PCB assembly jobs for the next two weeks, and then we will be doing a small production run of solderless Berserker.

The only option from a business standpoint to stay profitable but make it hurt less for customers when controllers wear out is to reduce the price of the hardware, and one way of reducing hardware price is to charge for the software. We could sell hardware at or below cost if we could generate a revenue stream from software sales. We would need to lock runes between user's account and their hardware ID and then have a way to do a transfer when hardware dies and is replaced with new hardware.

This is something we were planning on doing eventually but requires more $investment$ in the software to get it done: price drop on the hardware and some sort of mechanism to charge for the software instead.

Drastic

Hmm that puts me in a tough spot really... I want to buy another Berserker (waiting for blue candy splatter shell to come back in possibly) and if you guys are trying a new approach for the berserker install then can u let me know asap so I can still get the lifetime forge membership. Because in my opinion that's what makes the berserker such a great product as was the macro controller, free software.

Porcupine

It's not a solution to your situation, but I side with Viking on this issue. There is little they can do about stock Microsoft controllers wearing out over time, whether it is from natural use or inferior stock controllers. This is unfortunately one of the dangers and problems with buying a very expensive modded controller. And it is probably one of the greatest selling points of the CronusMAX devices since that device exists outside the controller (though I'm not saying it is better overall).

About all they can do is try to make the modded components easily transplantable into another new stock controller. Perhaps if it could be done easily enough, even the end user could do it. I don't know if this is feasible, just saying that in my mind this is the best thing we can hope for.

(Haven't bought my first controller yet but I haven't forgotten about it. Just biding my time since I don't have an urgent need for one and want one more for curiosity/testing purposes).

odingalt

Staff member
Drastic everyone who has bought is lifetime. We'll keep on being lifetime for the foreseeable future. If that were to change there's be lots and lots of advanced notice and mailers because that would be a pretty big paradigm shift for Viking because we've always had 100% free software. It won't happen any time soon, lots of work to do before we could make that kind of a change.

Drastic

Drastic everyone who has bought is lifetime. We'll keep on being lifetime for the foreseeable future. If that were to change there's be lots and lots of advanced notice and mailers because that would be a pretty big paradigm shift for Viking because we've always had 100% free software. It won't happen any time soon, lots of work to do before we could make that kind of a change.
okay great to hear! well I sent my controller back to the shop, should arrive Tuesday! :D