DIY install not recognized by HID Loader

IrishStyle

I just finished all the soldering for the sleeper install with the PNC modification. I wanted to load the Test code on the controller before I closed it up. I connected the the PNC cable to controller then opened HID Loader then held sync while powering up controller but only #1 and #2 Led light up. My PC says unrecognizable USb device and HID loader says device not detected. Not sure if this is a problem with my PNC cable because its aftermarket and not an xbox one. Also not sure that I would be able to hold sync because the PNC cable end covers up the sync button. The only reason I can access now is because the controller is open. Any ideas would be great guys!!!!

odingalt

Staff member
When going into bootloader mode the controller will shut off LED3 and LED4 so it sounds like you at least have the sync and the led3/led4 wired correctly.

Did you forget to cut the traces for the PnC modification? Two users have already missed that one. When it says cut the traces, it literally means sever those two traces as marked with the yellow hash marks.

Lastly make sure you noticed that the two solder points for the PnC 'cross over'.

I've used aftermarked PnC cables and they seem to work ok, the ones I use are from Cables Unlimited. You can use a multimeter to ohm thru the PnC cable if you're not sure about yours.

As far as the PnC covering up the sync button, that's ok, you can put the controller into programming mode first, then plug the PnC after the fact.

edgar

when i did the first time was the same error and it was the traces ( i dint cut them very well )

modded matt

sounds like you may have something conected wrong, when using the normal bootloader chip, what happens when it is inserted backwards? "unreconized, or malfunctioned usb device"

IrishStyle

So when its in programming mode only the #1 and #2 Led flash? The traces appear to be cut to me but will have to test them. I have a spare 3.5mm jack I am going to try and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for the help guys.

edgar

IrishStyle said:
So when its in programming mode only the #1 and #2 Led flash? The traces appear to be cut to me but will have to test them. I have a spare 3.5mm jack I am going to try and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for the help guys.
yes led 1 and led 2 they flash and then the boot loader progam pick up the controller.

IrishStyle

Ok wired up 3.5 mm jack with same results....I hear the ding ding from windows vista but then I get a USB device has malfunctioned. The whole time I have HID Loader open but nothing changes.....Any Ideas?

Edit 1....I was wondering what is the bare minimum that needs to be connected to program the chip. I wanted to just hook up the jack the chip with power ground and the leds to rule out the rest of my wiring.

odingalt

Staff member
IrishStyle said:
Ok wired up 3.5 mm jack with same results....I hear the ding ding from windows vista but then I get a USB device has malfunctioned. The whole time I have HID Loader open but nothing changes.....Any Ideas?

Edit 1....I was wondering what is the bare minimum that needs to be connected to program the chip. I wanted to just hook up the jack the chip with power ground and the leds to rule out the rest of my wiring.

Yeah to test it out all you would need is power, ground, sync (or tac switch), d+, d-.

Are you completely sure you aren't getting d+ and d- backwards? It will give you the windows da-ding but will also tell you it's unrecognized.

IrishStyle

odingalt said:
IrishStyle said:

Yeah to test it out all you would need is power, ground, sync (or tac switch), d+, d-.

Are you completely sure you aren't getting d+ and d- backwards? It will give you the windows da-ding but will also tell you it's unrecognized.

Wired bare minimum as you posted but still not recognized. Now I do not get a USB mount sound, its as if the chip is not going into boot mode. I have tried installing with the jack as well as the PNC.

There are no bridges either edgar.

IrishStyle

Really not sure haha....I completly desolder the chip and reinstalled. But I believe the problem was with my jack wiring. I was unable to get the PNC option working for some unknown reason.