DIY problem - Sleeper With PnC Hookup

joe4x2

I just received my chip last night and everything works great except my "Y" button doesn't work after the install. I have verified that there isn't a wire or piece of tape blocking the operation and as far as I can see the traces that I "tapped" into aren't touching each other.

I flashed the chip with COD4 rapid reload glitch and it works (doesn't the rapid reload tap Y,Y to perform the glitch?)

Is there anything you guys can think of that would help me diagnose the problem? EVERYTHING works except for the Y button. I hit it and nothing happens. :cry:

joe4x2

Update - I downloaded the button test program and it appears that the right thumstick doesn't work either.

So now I have Y and Right Thumbstick that do not respond to the button test or in-game presses. I will recheck my connections where the those two traces come very close together.

haVOC1787

does the y button work at all in the game or the right thumbstick. It is very easy to put to much heat on the traces and them come apart. If they dont work at all look at repairing the traces.

joe4x2

Okay, I fixed the one of the problems. The traces got separated. I think I may have scraped off too much and exposed too much of an area and the heat of the solder ruined the trace like Havoc mentioned. So I ran jumpers to new parts of the traces and it fixed the Y button (which now works great) but I cannot for the life of me get the Right Thumbstick to work. I tried jumper after jumper & new spot of trace to new spot of trace with no luck. I think I may have ruined that trace?!?!? Grrrrr.

Is there anywhere else on the controller that I can run a jumper wire from to get it working again? I have tried running from the RT Thumbstick Via hole shown in the diagrams to a spot further down on the trace and that didn't help. Any thoughts?

haVOC1787

take and check the traces on the bottom of the contoller. It is the right thumbstick correct? here is the trace on the bottom this is where i soldered mine to. It is the two purple circles on the left. If you find where the traces are broke you can use one of these points to possibly fix it. I know when soldering to the circular holes its hard to take and get the solder to stick and the trace is easy to seperate.
VIKING360DUOCGBOTTOM.jpg

Blackburn

i had Right Thumbstick give me issues in a few of my installs and i just solder to directly to the 100pin Pfc on the back. Its the bottom first pin on the left corner

joe4x2

Update 2 - I got it all working now. I ended up having a bad thumbstick button. I removed it and replaced it with a new one and viola! Thanks for help. Who would have thought a brand new controller to have a bad thumbstick button? (I bought this controller for my new Viking chip)

Blackburn

did you replace the whole analog stick or just the button? If just the button how did you manage to do it, ive got a controller here that has a broken thumbstick click and ive been looking for a way to remove the tactile switch without having to desolder the whole joystick

joe4x2

I replaced the whole analog stick. I stole one from another controller I had laying around and did a transplant and it works perfectly now. I don't know if you can just replace the tact button, if you can it doesn't look very easy.