DPad Clicking

Awfulz

So, I recently noticed my DPad clicking on my Odin's Raven. When I push Up or Right on it, it'll reach the bottom of the dpad circle, and I can hear it hit. It also loses it's push and doesn't retract like normal dpads do. Sometimes, when I click it, it doesn't register either.. it feels like a spring is missing. I'm not sure how dpads work but I know they're supposed to have that soft touch feel to them, like my Down and Left. I'm never aggressive with my controller, if that's what you're thinking. My question is: Is there a way to fix this? What is missing/not working right, a spring? How would I go about fixing this?

Thanks.

EDIT: So in recent conversation with my friend, who paints controllers, he told me it was the "sensors in the DPad's cells". I'm not sure what that means, but he told me I need to replace my dpad. I'm not comfortable opening my controller.. but how difficult would it be to replace the dpad. Also, how much would it cost to send it in to east seattle / odin? I'm sure it would just take 5 seconds..

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Awfulz said:
So, I recently noticed my DPad clicking on my Odin's Raven. When I push Up or Right on it, it'll reach the bottom of the dpad circle, and I can hear it hit. It also loses it's push and doesn't retract like normal dpads do. Sometimes, when I click it, it doesn't register either.. it feels like a spring is missing. I'm not sure how dpads work but I know they're supposed to have that soft touch feel to them, like my Down and Left. I'm never aggressive with my controller, if that's what you're thinking. My question is: Is there a way to fix this? What is missing/not working right, a spring? How would I go about fixing this?

Thanks.

EDIT: So in recent conversation with my friend, who paints controllers, he told me it was the "sensors in the DPad's cells". I'm not sure what that means, but he told me I need to replace my dpad. I'm not comfortable opening my controller.. but how difficult would it be to replace the dpad. Also, how much would it cost to send it in to east seattle / odin? I'm sure it would just take 5 seconds..
your friend has no idea what he is talking about....he should stick to painting controllers and thats it.... the way a controllers d-pad and ABXY buttons work is there are pressure sensors that get pushed on by a rubber pad. the only way to fix it is A. ask fredrow for a send in repair or B. take your controller apart,clean the d-pad and the rubber piece, put it back together and see if it works.....if it doesnt it might be the dpad itself...or if you eat and play you might have gotten somthing sticky in there.

P.S to replace the sensors requires a whole motherboard replacement.

Awfulz

I don't eat with my controller. I drink while playing, but have never spilled anything on/by the controller. I do play a lot of Modern Warfare 2 which uses the d-pad directions Up and Right a lot (the one that are weird). I'm not comfortable opening my controller, and I feel the repair would cost a lot. I guess I'll PM Fredrow, then.

Ben

Sounds like the rubbery bit has slipped out of line. All you need to do is open it up and put the rubber bit back on its post thing.

Lynx

Opening the controller is simple and takes about 5 minutes to take apart if you do it carefully. All you need is the screwdriver which you can get at Autozone :).

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Lynx said:
Opening the controller is simple and takes about 5 minutes to take apart if you do it carefully. All you need is the screwdriver which you can get at Autozone :).
also when taking it appart just remove the top and leave the back on, you wont need to worry about the wires if you do.

odingalt

Staff member
If you're under warranty I would just send the thing back. This kind of problem usually doesn't crop up 'after the fact' unless either something got spilled in the controller (even just a tiny piece of who knows what) or if a wire moved into the way of the d-pad. We don't install any wires near the d-pad, I think fredrow may or may not depending on the circuit board and layout. Or maybe just the rubber piece that sits underneath the grey plastic d-pad didn't quite get seated right by the installer. Lots of possible explanations but usually if the installer screwed something up its noticeable right away... usually if button or d-pad mechanical problems show up 'later' it's junk in your trunk - most of these problems I find a tiny spec of food or something in there screwing up the works. :)