Drill Pattern For Viking Paddles??

morinzo

Is this the proper placement for the drill pattern?
bottom shell wrong template.JPG

There are 2 tiny black pieces in a L shape under the paddle top screws, should I cut those out so it will be flat there? It also seems like the tact holes are to far out toward the outside, could someone that has installed these please confirm or post pics?

Thanks for reading & helping!!

UPDATE: Here you can see the 2 little tabs I'm talking about.

bottom shell.JPG

Last edited:

Freyja

Staff member
Here is a picture of the template we use. Yours looks to be in about the right location, harder to tell because ours is clear.
You do not need to worry about the template not laying flat, our doesn't have room for the small plastic bits you are talking about by the battery pack.

Here are some helpful hints for the paddle switches:

Make sure the battery cover is off before you start.

Take an Exacto/box cutter/knife and create hash marks around the holes where the switches go; this helps the glue hold better. Then run your knife around the inside of the hole to make sure it is nice and smooth after.

Make sure your glue gun is HOT. Like have that thing on for a while before you even think about gluing the TACs in. They receive a lot of pressure and use and you don't want them pushing in.

Don't worry about cleaning up the glue around the battery pack until it is all set. Once it is, take your battery piece and try to insert it. Remove all of the glue that keeps it from sliding in completely, but make sure not to remove too much that it makes the switch unstable. If you are afraid of removing too much, you can take some wirecutters to the outside two posts of the battery cover and clip it. Do not remove more than about a millimeter.

Attachments

• paddle template.jpg
    paddle template.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 24

morinzo

paddles won't be here till monday so I'm in no hurry, lol

I got this template from the viking site on the paddle page.

The tact holes on this template is in the bend of the controller and not in the spot that yours is in. Yours looks like they are near the circles in the plastic that you can see in the second pic of the op. You can also look at both templates and see that your tact holes are alot closer to the paddle screw holes than mine is.
wrong template.JPG

Last edited:

Freyja

Staff member
Don't use that one! Thanks for posting the picture showing where the larger holes sit. Looks like we need to take that template down as it is obviously wrong.
There is a template that is sent with the kits that you should be able to use. It's not the best copy because ours is clear, but where the holes are is clear and they will be in the proper position.

morinzo

I just went and had a piece of lexan cut the size of the template, now I'm going to use clear dbl sided tape to attach the paper template to the bottom & drill the holes in the lexan to use as a template.

I tried to attach but it told me the pic was to large. Just have to drill & cut when the kit arrives.
lexan template.JPG

Wish I could buy just the chip to install myself like I did my 3 macros..

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
Can you please explain where you got this template from? We don't sell individual paddle kits and I don't remember posting any drill template anywhere (since we don't sell the kits there was no reason to post a drill template).

The paddle switches we are currently selling are unfortunately not compatible with the new solderless Berserker modchip we will be using starting this week. We have new and different paddle switch kit under development. It's being developed by Viking this time instead of buying something from another company. I cannot tell you guys anything other than our new in-house designed paddle switches are going to be by far the best of anything on the market.

And the good news is ours will be easier to install and we will definitely be selling a kit.

morinzo

They were delivered but everything had came out of the bag & was loose in the box, is this everything that is supposed to be included? I know the page said it included the tact switches too but they were not in the box..

Also how many spacers go between the paddles & contrller?

paddle kit.JPG

Last edited:

morinzo

I made my lexan template today while I'm waiting on the tacts now..

Freyja does this look better, my dremel skills are not the best but I think It'll work perfect. I did make those 2 slots a little to wide but that is the width of my dremel grinding disk. I am currently making my 2nd revision of my lexan template.
lexan template on controller.JPG

I also wish I would have ordered a spare set since the link got taken down after my order. Maybe I can bribe odingalt the let me get a solderless chip & new paddles when its all ready, I just like building my own stuff.

I also resized all of the pics in photobucket.

Last edited:

morinzo

Can someone please show me what the tact switches used for viking paddles look like so I can try to get some locally since they wasn't in the kit??

Please..

bonefisher

Kinda like these but with longer button on it... Looked for them for a while and could not find them on ebay. Also should be a two prong ones.

Attachments

• !B8dES1wEWk~$(KGrHqUOKisEz(CCWkrDBM3EvQLR8Q~~0_12.jpg
    !B8dES1wEWk~$(KGrHqUOKisEz(CCWkrDBM3EvQLR8Q~~0_12.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 6

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
6*6*5mm 4 pin tac switch (Everyone just bends off the other two pins on the tac switches). U can get a lot of 100 Tact's for 2$. Most sales are from China but u can always go on eBay and find a u.s. based seller. U will pay a little more. "To be clear" the size of the tac switches u want should be the size listed above as its the most standerd / common used size. This could be a possible one washer install or possibly two washer size if u got say a 6*6*6 mm tact. I'm just guessing as only a staff member can confirm the appropriate size of the tacts used with the paddles. My money says 6*6*5mm.

Last edited:

morinzo

I have both of the from my 360 days of installing the macro chip for people, will either work?

Update: I just tested using my lexan template and they are either to short or to long, I tried both using one spacer & two spacers. Guess I'm just going to have to wait on them to mail them to me.

Tacts.JPG

Also curious to why I got black & brown paddles when the shop pic was black and white. This was the pic in the shop and you can see in my earlier post what I received, kind of ugly and not to happy with them & would prefer to send them back and get the correct ones because the brown is going to kill the theme of my controller.
B&W Shop Pabbles.JPG

Time for me to learn to attach imgs on this forum and edit all my post.

Update: Figured out how to add the thumbnail's for you to click on so the pics aren't so big, still working on attaching like u guys do it.

Last edited:

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

ModdingBros Representative
Are u positive your template is the same thickness as your controller? If u have some calipers I'd test both out to make sure they are the same. As for your tacs by looking at your pics you have a 6*6*7 and a 6*6*5 or possibly 6*6*4 tac. So if your ether to big or to short a 6*6*6 tac should be your size. Again a caliper tool should give you your divisions. This is just a suggestion if for some reason Viking staff doesn't Awnser your questions.

morinzo

Thanks bonefisher & n3rdy, you 2 are always around to help anyone that needs it. Personally I think you both should get a forum promotion..

I had a few beers last night & didn't even think about the difference in thickness, i'll break out the calipers and measure the thickness of both. Also what is the proper way to measure the tacts? just the button or the button & base?

Last edited:

bonefisher

If this helps any of how they fit up to the paddles.....

Attachments

• 20150315_151410_resized.jpg
    20150315_151410_resized.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 11