Duo/sleeper w/ 3.5mm to USB option ????

tikboy1964

i have a duo/sleeper that came with the purple usb board. how do i convert my duo/sleeper to 3.5mm to USB option? will you be selling the parts needed for this conversion. thanks

odingalt

Staff member
I can give you part numbers at digikey for the 3.5mm jack, it's a pretty cheap part. Will also put together a wiring diagram. Basically you'll just snip off the pins on the mod chip, and solder 3 more wires over to the 3.5mm jack.

As far as cables, any 4-position 3.5mm to USB should work, IPOD charging cables (I'm thinking ipod mini) will work.

odingalt

Staff member
This one from Mouser does not have a nut to hold it in place, thus you will be using hot glue to keep it in position. However it is 5mm shorter than all the other jacks, so I find there are more places inside the controller this jack will fit. Also, this one sits almost flush with the exterior surface of your controller's shell once you have it glued into place. I drill 1/4" hole for this one. Lastly, you have to solder at least the ground connection (or maybe all 3 connections) before hot gluing as the glue will cover up the connections. The jack looks black & gold from the outside & seems to match all controller colors well. So despite the extra work, I think I still like this jack best:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 161-2408-E (this is the square jack in the photo)

These other jacks are a tight fit and locations are limited where they will fit as they are about 5mm longer than the square one, but these do have nuts to hold them securely in the hole that you drill without the need for hot glue:

Digikey # CP5-43502PM-ND (this is the round black/silver jack in the photo)
Digikey # CP-43502PM-ND (this is the round black/silver jack in the photo)
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 61-5435-EX (this is the grey/white round jack in the photo)

I end up drilling 5/16". Something between 1/4" and 5/16" would be better but I don't have a very wide drill bit selection as I live in an apartment, and owning a lot of tools is difficult due to space limitations. I personally like the grey/white round jack as the nut actually slips over the jack from the 'inside'. On the outside you would see a little grey circle. Looks great on sleepers. However it's a pretty tight fit with my 3.5mm to USB cables - I don't know if I should blame the quality of the jack or the quality of the cables for the fit. The black/silver jack just has a silver nut on the outside which isn't the sleekest looking, but it is a nice fit with the 3.5mm to USB cables.

Hope this helps you folks in picking which jack to go with.