[E-S-E] Controller Painting Process

Fredrow

The nice weather has finally moved back into Washington.... So it got me super motivated to get back into the painting game!!!!

I'm just doing this lil' thread to show the painting process I use to paint these custom controller shells that people seem to luv so much!!! (The controller shell I am using for this is going to be an Irish Flag, for Mr. Irish)

The first thing I always do is go over the whole controller with some 500-grit sandpaper (You do NOT want to use a heavy sandpaper because then you will just leave nice sized gashes on the shell that will show up after you have painting the controller.... Trust me on this, I HAVE DONE IT...... :p )

After doing an awesome job with the sandpaper I always wash the shell to get rid of any dirt, grease, oil, and left over particles from the sandpaper, (at this point tell the end of the painting process I always wear latex gloves to handle the shell so I don't get any oils from my fingers on the shell)

52yqA.jpg

K6PkN.jpg

bBr89.jpg

After the shell has completely dried off from being washed up, then the next step is to lay down some Adhesion Promoter. This stuff is a nice clear primer and helps a lot with making the paint stick to the plastic shell. (NEVER SPAY THIS ON ANYTHING THAT HAS BEEN PAINTED ALREADY)

3SWek.jpg

No more spray-paint for me!!!!!! :mrgreen: I bought a super cheap sprayer to see how I would like using it, and I luv the Fvck out of it!!!! I also bought a airbrush too!!!! :mrgreen:

iCTA5.jpg

y4OGp.jpg

Here are some pics after the first light coat of white paint......

3KE9l.jpg

qQhQt.jpg

The white is done... The two above pics are of the shell after the 3rd coat of white paint. After this drys all the way I will be masking off areas next then putting down the green and orange colors, then after that the finishing touch of some super protective clear coat.......

Will be updating this soon!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fredrow

Here is were I'm at with Irish's custom shell....

I laid down the white, green, and orange already as you will see from the next pics.... (NOT FINISHED YET)

W4gr9.jpg

x4dUE.jpg

Next step, I will be sanding down a little bit of the over-spray that got onto the white. Then I will be spraying another coat of white onto the middle patch of the controllers shell, but the white will blend/fade into the orange and green. I didn't want the normal hard-line look were the colors meet. I wanted to do something different and have the colors fade into each other..... (if you can picture it, just wait to see)

Last edited:

PS3andCOD

Contributor
This reminded me Fredrow, I have an older PS3 controller I wanted to try painting... Do you have any experience with tem, or with black 360 controllers? My biggest worry is that the paint won't cover properly.

Fredrow

No, it will look sick... Right now it looks like poop.... Once I respray the middle with white again and have it fade over into the green and orange then it will be super haze silver sick....

DirkSmoove

Fredrow said:
No, it will look sick... Right now it looks like poop.... Once I respray the middle with white again and have it fade over into the green and orange then it will be super haze silver sick....

dude take pictures lol this is a must for me

Fredrow

$$$-UPDATE-$$$

The painting process of this controller is all done, it looks 100x better than the pictures above...

But I'm keeping it Top Secret for now until Irish mails me his CG2-pcb and his Macro board+LED add-on board so that I can instal it for him.... Once the controller is complete then I will share pics of it....