Help -_-

n00b Samurai

I got my DIY kit today thought I was doing everything on when I turn my controller on the 3rd and 4th LED just blink and when I try and plug it into the USB it won't even power on the 3rd and 4th LED flash what could be the problem?

Use the diagnostic info below by counting the number of times the #3 led flashes and the number og times the #4 led flashes and you can fighre out what wire or button is giving you probs.

i had the same problem and the leds blink so fast there hard to count. (recommend viking slow down the speed of the blinking leds so you can actually count)

i used my camera to make a video and opened with windows media player classic and used the CTRL+Down Arrow to slow the video down so i could actually count the flashes.

n00b Samurai

it flashes 3 times which means its the B button but when I run the sleeper button test it says everything is working fine but when I plug it into usb it flashes 3 times but I can turn the usb a diffrent way and plug it in and it comes up windows cannot find the drivers or such and says please restart XD well maybe we can figure this out >_<

heres the correct position for usb , is it a duo install?

are you doing this step when programing from the guide in support section?
Sleepers: While holding down the sync button, power up the controller. Duos: While holding down the right tactile switch, power up the controller.

USBKEY.jpg

n00b Samurai

nope I lied and sorry for double post I see what it is now its 4 flashes I plugged the usb into my xbox and it just keeps hitting the A button any ideas why it may be doing this?

Fredrow

OK here we go......Just playing.....

First thing when your controller is plugged into any USB port, you will see LED blink 4x......Because the A button is on the same leg as one of the PINs for the USB....So when your controller is in TEST code (either Sleeper or DUO) the PIC is thinking that A is grounded/shorted somewhere........

And when you connect your controller to PC to change settings, you have to hold down SYNC button(for sleepers) or hold down right TACT switch(for DUO's) then (battiers in your controller) power on controllers at the same time as you are holding the other button and then your controller will connect with PC and to note you should have the boot loader open while your doing this......

I hope this helps......

n00b Samurai

ok I have done everything right can't get it to connect to my PC and when it does connect it says USB has malfunctioned and can't find updates or something like that -_- all buttons working right just now connecting :mad:

Fredrow

n00b Samurai said:
ok I have done everything right can't get it to connect to my PC and when it does connect it says USB has malfunctioned and can't find updates or something like that -_- all buttons working right just now connecting :mad:

Turn your USB key around and plug it in the right way, just like this picture.........

USBKEY.jpg

That message coming up telling you that the USB has malfunctioned means that you have the USB key plugged into your controller the wrong way.....Trust me on this........

Blackburn

ok, ive noticed a few people ive helped make this error. Make sure you cut the top right pin off when you get the chip and install it, otherwise the chip will not go into programming mode, and it will freak windows out and show it as an unknown USB item

Fredrow

Blackburn said:
ok, ive noticed a few people ive helped make this error. Make sure you cut the top right pin off when you get the chip and install it, otherwise the chip will not go into programming mode, and it will freak windows out and show it as an unknown USB item

I didn't think about the pins I just figured you received the chips with just 3 pins not 4 or them. If you have 4 pins you want to cut one of them, and I will tell you which one.

You can see where there use to be 6 pins, with 2 of them cut off on the bottom part of the board (the straight flat end) and then you keep the 2 middle pins, and you also keep the pin which is right next to the whole on the board, but you cut the one right next to it, so you are left with just 3 pins to connect your usb key to.....

Blackburn

Fredrow said:
Blackburn said:

I didn't think about the pins I just figured you received the chips with just 3 pins not 4 or them. If you have 4 pins you want to cut one of them, and I will tell you which one.

You can see where there use to be 6 pins, with 2 of them cut off on the bottom part of the board (the straight flat end) and then you keep the 2 middle pins, and you also keep the pin which is right next to the whole on the board, but you cut the one right next to it, so you are left with just 3 pins to connect your usb key to.....
yep, i honestly bet that is his issue :D

odingalt

Staff member
Are you holding down the sync button/or right tac button, depending on your wiring configuration, while powering up the device, to put it into USB programming mode?

I.e. remove batteries, put batteries back in, and hold down the sync button while powering up the controller

n00b Samurai

Yes I push the sync button down while powering up and it tells me it has malfunctioned and i've got it plugged in the right way..