Issue With Chip Install

PhatClouds

I bought a DIY kit for my controller and installed it to work in sleeper mode. Everything went fine for the installation and the controller worked properly. The problem I have been having is that the controller worked great for about an hour. After that my on-screen character started spinning in circles.

I unplugged my battery and started to play again. Once again it worked great for about and hour and the character started doing the same thing. So once again I unplugged my battery pack and started playing. Except this time it did not go back to normal.

I installed the kit on a good working controller that is not that old and had no problems before. I took the case back apart and look at the wires to make sure I didn't ground anything out or put a wire in the wrong place, but everything checked out.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

odingalt

Staff member
Spinning guy. I would try to guess which joystick would normally make your guy spin (left joystick or right joystick). Then head over to xbox-scene for their nice hi-res pics of the 'cg' circuit board and figure out which trace corresponds to that joystick.

I am guessing one of two things, one is the trace that is for that joystick is making contact or being shorted somehwere, may be hard to find.

Second guess is that something is poking through the and contacting the back of your modchip, cuz the solder points for one of the joysticks are right under the mod chip. Silly question, did you 'suck out' those solder bumps under where the mod chip fits?

We got a new chip today that fits better so people don't have to 'suck' any more :) But for old modchip users, will need to suck the little bumps out unfortunately or trim them down some other way. Fredrow might have other help on that, there are several different ways to make the old purple chip fit better

PhatClouds

I'm not able to look at the controller at this moment, but if I were to have scratched a trace leading off of my left joystick, is there a way to repair it?