Microphone port replacement

darkdraco9

Curious if anyone has the wiring diagram to remove and replace a bad microphone port on the 360 controller or know of a guide posted somewhere.

Fredrow

There are no true schematics for any of the Xbox 360 controllers out in the general public.
Even if there was, you don't need one for this job. Just open up the controller, de-solder the old
head-phone jack and then solder in your new head-phone jack; BOOM!! You're done!!

odingalt

Staff member
Greetings dark. As far as "bad" mic port, you can replace the little grey piece that the microphone/headset plugs in to. But that will really only help if the grey piece is broken or you got a mic tip jammed in there or something. It's possible that if your mic/headset isn't working that its the electronics on the gamepad that are messed up. In which case there really is no fix short of replacing the little black CPU on the circuit board which would cost way more than buying a new circuit board :-(

Fredrow

Greetings dark. As far as "bad" mic port, you can replace the little grey piece that the microphone/headset plugs in to. But that will really only help if the grey piece is broken or you got a mic tip jammed in there or something. It's possible that if your mic/headset isn't working that its the electronics on the gamepad that are messed up. In which case there really is no fix short of replacing the little black CPU on the circuit board which would cost way more than buying a new circuit board

When you say broken grey piece, are you referring to worn down contacts within the grey head-phone jack?

Also another thing that could have failed in-between the head-phone jack and the CPU could be some capacitors (that would be part of a filter circuit!!)

odingalt

Staff member
Actually I guess the grey piece isn't grey any more. It used to be grey - even on the black controllers - I'm thinking the grey mic port/chat pad receptacle on the controller.

It's black nowadays!!

darkdraco9

Thanks for the input. This issue is on a Macro controller i purchased awhile ago from you guys which now out of warranty. And yes I know i shouldn't of opened it up even after the warranty expired but curiosity got the better of me. The port is no longer sending voice from the microphone but still hear audio out when fully plugged into the port. I have tried 3 different headsets all same issue and verified the headsets work on different controllers. Now when i pull the plug half way out and tilt at angle the micro starts working again but the audio isnt clear. I am hoping the port is just not making good contact with the plug and not a board issue which since i can get the mic voice audio to work when the plug is partially in at a angle suggests to me that it is a case of making contact in the port and not a board issue. I do have experience with soldering as an avionics technician but I just really haven't bothered to mess around with any troubleshooting of the controller or tracing any runs on it. I do see a few test points on the board so if you guys know which ones to test the mic port out before i go through with the replacement that would be helpful. Once again thanks for the input.

odingalt

Staff member
If you can jimmy the jack and get it to work (even partially) then yeah there's a good shot that replacing just the jack will solve the problem. I've seen the jacks wear out - Microsoft quality isn't necessarily the greatest, but, their controllers are still better than most of the el-cheapo third-party controllers out there (with the exception of the premo companies like Razer though I haven't picked one up to play with it yet)

It's probably easier to just try replacing it with a new jack piece and then try it out (than trying to find a way to electronically test the port). DO you have a broken controller to get the part from?? Do you have a desolder tool?

darkdraco9

yeah i have already desoldered one from an old wired controller i had laying around. Just heated up the solder and used a solder sucker to quickly desolder the 6 through-hole pins and popped the port out. tomorrow will likely take the one off the viking macro controller and replace it with the one i took off a few days ago.