New DIY Chip

BradT25

Hey all, noticed that the new ragnarock chip for 360 will be ready to ship soon, and also noticed that it requires a matrix 2 pad for install. Is this going to be the case, or will there be a universal application as well to work on all variant's of the controller.

Thanks in advance
Brad

odingalt

Staff member
Just for matrix2 for now. I believe the matrix2 install is 17 wires, 21 wires if you want to add the USB programming jack. It will get all the same great software available on the retail XBOX360 Ragnarok. The install is really easy even though it is 17 wires. There are only three via or traces to scrape. It is a much easier install than Thor's Hammer/Odin's Raven.

Next spring when I have more time I will look into a CG/CG2 version of the same modchip. An equivalent install on CG/CG2 might be more like 24 wires and 28 with the jack, and require lots of scraping of vias and copper traces and such. We would also have to create a separate set of firmware/software for the CG/CG2 circuit board, as the two circuit boards work very differently. Since we are not using the CG/CG2 in-house for installs, this creates a lot of extra overhead cost but not a lot of return for us (since we are just selling kits). But the problem is that I believe special edition controllers (MW3, GOW3, silver d-pad) are still coming as CG2 circuit boards.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I'm secretly hoping by January they will stop selling CG/CG2's and convert everything over to matrix2. As far as I know they will release a CG3 next spring. We'll have to wait and see what happens :-(. I have been working on the backend of my software code on a new way of organizing things (And moving to a new CPU) to make it easier for me to roll with Microsoft's constant circuit board changes.

I hacked the matrix2 in about 3 hours back in March 2011 when it first hit the scene, but it took me 8 months to find the time to create the XBOX360 Ragnarok modchip. Most of my time since March was consumed reverse engineering the latest version of the PS3 circuit boards to create the PS3 Ragnarok. I had the PS3 Ragnarok modchip around May, but it took me about 5 months to adapt it for my shop and for USB programmability. Again due to time constraints. Unfortunately for our longtime customers the PS3 modchip ended up under exclusive contract with another distributor, so customers have to go elsewhere to pick up the PS3 DIY kit.

I sure wish there were more hours in the day. I still work a day job, so all of Viking's new projects are completed in my spare time. In addition to website design and maintenance. Technical support. And all the other joys of running a business :)

BradT25

Thanks for the swift, and in depth reply. Its not often you experience this. I live in Australia, and so far the last 3 or 4 controllers have been cg2's. What package are they commonly seen in thus far.

odingalt

Staff member
Now that I know you are from Australia - you can pick up DIY kits to install a Thor's Hammer or Odin's Raven in Australia. They were made specifically for CG/CG2. Check out modspace. A guy named Craig there bought some kits "way back when" and I don't know if he was able to sell them all?

http://modspace.com.au/shop/index.p...id=335&zenid=457cbd08e75672130ee6cea4a846970b

At least you wouldn't have to pay the international shipping and duties (because Craig already had to pay them when we shipped the box o' kits)