New Raven Install. have Issue with one button..

gooddoer

First of all thanks for your help in advance. I have just completed the install of the Viking Chip in the Duo/Raven configuration for my son. I have run into one issue the "B" button does not work after applying power to the chip. I have checked all the wires, looked for ground, shorts, etc but couldn't find the issue. Am I correct that it has to be a short? I have loaded the button test file and all looks good except for the "B" button. Any advice would be appreciated.

IrishStyle

gooddoer said:
First of all thanks for your help in advance. I have just completed the install of the Viking Chip in the Duo/Raven configuration for my son. I have run into one issue the "B" button does not work after applying power to the chip. I have checked all the wires, looked for ground, shorts, etc but couldn't find the issue. Am I correct that it has to be a short? I have loaded the button test file and all looks good except for the "B" button. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ok so there are a few possible senarios. Try programming a preset and select Allow Word is the first thing you should try. Are any of your wires running across the face button contacts, or even close enough to keep the button from fully stroking. Have you tried running the test code without the controller fully assembled? Sometimes the chip gets pressed against the PCB of the controller causing a short. And finally are you removing the 3.5mm cable or pnc cable used for programming? I forgot the sequence but it does throw out an error if the cable is still plugged in, thought it was an A button error though.

Also congrats on the install, it can be a beast.

odingalt

Staff member
Hmm only other last thing to check is to inspect the little black microchip that is on the purple modchip. Check the legs of the microchip to make sure none of them are shorted to each other. Each pin should NOT be touching either of the pins next to it. Or alternately it's possible that one of the pins did not get enough solder on it (though too much solder is more common)

odingalt

Staff member
Also, a couple of times we used flux... the flux got onto the round black pad on the microsoft circuit board (the round black bad that the grey rubber piece sits on).

When the flux hardened, it actually insulated the button from making the connection... some alcohol and a q-tip, removed the flux, all was well.