One Complaint

nexus00

I have only one complaint about my new PS3 ragnarok Controller, but it may be the deciding factor if I even keep using it. The rapid fire is GREAT, the programming ability is great, the quick shot it a little slow, but the main problem is the responsiveness of the joysticks. I don't know if its due to the paint job that was done on the controller or the exxtra stuff inside the case of the controller, but the sticks are not as responsive or easily moved around as the stock ps3 controller.

I think it may have to due with the Serpent color I choose. The Thumbsticks themselves are stock. I don't know. I kinda wish I hadn't choose and new color shll now, Maybe it would work better.

Last edited:

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I am betting you had an old controller before... Sony changed the thumbsticks a while ago, the old ones were a little smoother, but they used a spring and they wore out faster/more. The new ones are just a little bit stiffer, but they are magnetic so they don't wear out. The new ones are much better overall, you just need to get used to them.

nexus00

No I haven't made a support ticket. I actually have 4 other controllers. One that came with my playstation and one I bought at the same time. Then since then I have purchased two different regular sixasis controller that have been modded for rapid fire from other companies and they all are the same on the thumbsticks. I got my rgnarok one because it was programmable. I spent $200.00 for it which is considerably more than any other that I've purchased. Your controller was 100.00 away from the price of a new ps3...but I like Viking and I think you guys gave great support and controllers...so thats why I purchased it. My most recent modded controller was purchased 6 months ago from ( i don't know if you want me to say) but it has two modded buttons on the back. So I don't know if the magnetic thing your talking about has been in the past 6 months. I'll tell you the names of the other modded controllers I have if you want.

odingalt

Staff member
I don't mean to sound mean, but I think this problem is all in your head. We don't do anything different to the joysticks on the controller. We don't mod the joysticks. We buy our controllers, brand spanking new, with SKU# 99004 (for black), from BestBuy, Walmart, Costco, or whichever distributor has the best price at the time.

I have no clue what PS3andCOD is talking about with magnetics, but it has NOTHING TO DO WITH VIKING. We don't mod the sticks, or do anything that would affect the function of the joysticks. We use brand spanking new, Sony Brand, Wireless, Six-axis, Dualshock 3 controllers straight from a distributor who gets them straight from Sony. These are not refurbs, knockoffs, etc. These are the real deal. I pay $50 plus tax and shipping for our PS3 controllers.

I guess there is a small chance that Sony is doing something different with the newest SKU's? We literally buy brand spanking newest controllers. We did notice that the SKU numbers changed around November-December of 2011.shipping for our PS3 controllers.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
All "sixaxis" controllers, so ones without rumble, use the non-magnetic sticks, as well as the first board type or two of dualshock controllers. Sony changed the sticks before Viking started selling PS3 stuff, even the Viking beta controller I have has magnetic sticks. They are actually much better, I have 3 controllers with the spring sticks and the sticks are wearing out on all of them, but the 2 I have with magnetic sticks are not worn at all, and I have played atleast 100 hours with my Viking. The controller I received with my 60GB launch console was spring sticks, if you have a fat PS3 you most definatly had spring sticks on your first controllers.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Oh yeah, pretty sure all the coloured controllers have magnetic sticks, but maybe you could find a white or silver with spring sticks... Not totally sure.

nexus00

I don't think its the sticks....I think it's the serpent shell that I ordered on it that has to thick of paint making the sticks catch because the spacing isn't far enough.

odingalt

Staff member
I have a serpent hydro-dipped XBOX 360 modded controller I use every day and for tutorial videos that doesn't give me any grief. If you're the kind of player who tends to grind your joysticks into the shell, then I think the friction of the paint will be higher than the friction of the stock plastic? Just send it back in for a refund (minus shipping), we just need it to be in as-new re-sellable condition. Exchanging won't do any good, all hydro-transfer and clear coated controllers are identical.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
The edges makes sense... If it's not grinding on the edges that's the problem it must be what I said though, you can't have had paint drip in on the sticks because they paint the shell while it's off the board inside the controller.

odingalt

Staff member
I can take a closer look at this when it gets to the shop, maybe this controller is not really like all other hydrodipped controllers (I keep saying, they are all the same, but maybe this one has got issues specifically around the thumbstick holes?). There's nothing we can do to make hydro transfer painting any thinner. Spraypainting would be equal or worse. Hydro transfer involves essentially floating a piece of paper in liquid bath and dipping the object into it. I think the paint changes the friction more than it actually constrains the opening for the sticks, I'm sure the change in friction could annoy some people.

I just want to make it clear that all the mod shops are using the same exact hydro dipping process, Viking is no better or worse than any other shop with hydro dipped shells.

nexus00

I can take a closer look at this when it gets to the shop, maybe this controller is not really like all other hydrodipped controllers (I keep saying, they are all the same, but maybe this one has got issues specifically around the thumbstick holes?). There's nothing we can do to make hydro transfer painting any thinner. Spraypainting would be equal or worse. Hydro transfer involves essentially floating a piece of paper in liquid bath and dipping the object into it. I think the paint changes the friction more than it actually constrains the opening for the sticks, I'm sure the change in friction could annoy some people.

I just want to make it clear that all the mod shops are using the same exact hydro dipping process, Viking is no better or worse than any other shop with hydro dipped shells.

I would just like to say thank you to all you guys for your help. Viking has been extremely helpful with my issue and supportive. I have no doubt that it's NOT vikings fault. I am sure that all hydrodipped shells are the same for everyone. I just can just tell the difference in resitence when playing MW3 and trying to aim at the target real quick. It's kinda like it has too much friction with the occasional catch and then jerk after it catches to throw my aim off. All of this is happening in milliseconds and would never be an issue if I werent playing online and every reactional movement counts.

I would look into it though. This is my first hydrodipped controller...all of my other ones have the normal black shell and have never experienced this issue with them. It may only just be me that notices it, but I do notice it. I personally think maybe they shouldn't hydrocut the area around the thumbstick movement area...that would be my solution, but i'm sure that may be very difficult to do. Myabe I'm a rare case that can feel the mill thickness of the hydrocoating on the thumbsticks. Who knows. Anyways, Thank you very much for all your help Viking, as I will be gettingg a new controller fom you guys without the hydrodipped casing.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I've never used a hydrodipped or painted shell, but if it's only at the edges you were talking about definatly not the type of sticks like I thought before...