Power Consumption

pnyxxpress

I have asked this question before. Twice on another thread and once in a support ticket and maybe one other time. I've lost track. So far it has gone unanswered.

What is normal power consumption for these modded controllers? I'm seeing number one and two LEDs start to fail after a few hours of game play. So far the replies I have received just tells me to make sure I have fresh batteries or freshly charged battery pack. Yes this does resolve the issue but I'm still needing to know if this is normal. A few hours of game play is normally spread across 2-3 nights. Since I never received a explanation I did few test myself.

First Test: Using the power pack supplied with my purchase I fully charged the battery pack using the USB on my laptop. Once I had the green light I unplugged the cable from the controller and let it sit for 24 hours without turning it on. Interesting... after 24 hours and no game play the battery pack required 2 hours of charge time to get it back to fully charged.

Second Test: After a complete charge and a green light. I unplugged the cable from the controller but this time I also removed the battery pack from the controller. Again I let it sit for 24 hours. This time the battery pack was inserted into the controller and the USB plugged in but it only took a few seconds to show it was fully charged.

Does this indicate a possible short on the board? Something seems to be bleeding power while the controller is off.

I'm doing one more test. This time I a fully charged battery pack was inserted into an unmodified controller. I will have those results later this evening.

Last edited:

oDEEKo

Afaik the macro controllers do consume/ drain battery power while the controller is off.. Iirc one of the firmware updates included a fix to reduce this power consumption. Easiest solution is take the battery pack out after you power off the controller, it's second nature to me now, I even find myself doing it when I use mates regular controllers! :)

I've found doing this and maintaining my battery packs by letting them 'full cycle discharge/ charge' from time to time that the actual 'play time' of the controller when not attached to pnc kit is not too far from a standard controller either :D

ILBIEAST

Hmm very interesting, I will start taking my battery pack out. One random thing I have to say is if you buy Energizer ultimate lithium batteries you will have the brightest lights ever and have full 4 bars for at least 5 days! Just dont charge and play them . Lithium isnt supposed to be charged.

NYjetsNY1

I have asked this question before. Twice on another thread and once in a support ticket and maybe one other time. I've lost track. So far it has gone unanswered.

What is normal power consumption for these modded controllers? I'm seeing number one and two LEDs start to fail after a few hours of game play. So far the replies I have received just tells me to make sure I have fresh batteries or freshly charged battery pack. Yes this does resolve the issue but I'm still needing to know if this is normal. A few hours of game play is normally spread across 2-3 nights. Since I never received a explanation I did few test myself.

First Test: Using the power pack supplied with my purchase I fully charged the battery pack using the USB on my laptop. Once I had the green light I unplugged the cable from the controller and let it sit for 24 hours without turning it on. Interesting... after 24 hours and no game play the battery pack required 2 hours of charge time to get it back to fully charged.

Second Test: After a complete charge and a green light. I unplugged the cable from the controller but this time I also removed the battery pack from the controller. Again I let it sit for 24 hours. This time the battery pack was inserted into the controller and the USB plugged in but it only took a few seconds to show it was fully charged.

Does this indicate a possible short on the board? Something seems to be bleeding power while the controller is off.

I'm doing one more test. This time I a fully charged battery pack was inserted into an unmodified controller. I will have those results later this evening.

It sounds like you need to update your controller's firmware! Give it a try at least? You said you did it but try again.

he power issue sounds like it is a firmware issue! http://viking360.com/download-software-drivers/the-viking-software-record-and-playback-moves

Go to that link: http://viking360.com/download-software-drivers/the-viking-software-record-and-playback-moves

Do the newest firmware update. Make sure you have a macro controller (has 6 tacs) and follow this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5oVuclvuoM

Let me know if that fixes your issues. The macro controller still uses more power than regular controllers but not an insane amount.

pnyxxpress

Firmaware was up to date when I got the controller. I did go thru the process just for the heck of it. All the said. firmware is up to date.

odingalt

Staff member

Unfortunately that sounds about normal. If I leave a pair of normal AA alkalines in the macro controller it will be dead in a week.