Power Surge on Hub Port error?

DXM Cake

I'm currently getting an error message on my computer(Windows 7 Home Edition) whenever I try to import macros to my controller. On the taskbar, a popup appears, saying: "Power Surge On Hub Port: A USB Input device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port. Click here to blah blah blah~" Or something extremely close to that. Clicking the popup does nothing except allow me to turn back on my USB port, which was apparently disabled.

Afterwards, the Macro Editor itself isn't necessary freezing(I can still close it, but it stays on that spinning Importing Macros screen forever). Or at least I imagine it's forever because my controller shows no signs of activity. I've waited at least thirty minutes and nothing changed, so I assume nothing was going to happen after all. The program closes fine, however, whenever I try to open it after the first attempt, it does either one of two things - it freezes on the spot, or, the program thinks the controller is still connected, regardless if it is or not. Restarting the computer or using the popup link to re-enable my USB port basically puts me back at square one, where all I can do is recreate the problem.

I've tried numerous things already... two different play and charge cables, four different USB ports, replacing my fresh set of batteries with another fresh set of batteries, replacing my fresh set of batteries with batteries that were mostly dead, having the controller plugged into the USB port prior to opening the Macro Editor instead of making the macros first and then starting the controller in programming mode, reinstalling the Macro Editor and the firmware update for the controller(twice each), etc. Google has a few fixes I saw, but most of them sound way too extreme for what seems to not be a big deal - like, formatting everything and starting from scratch or deleting all of your USB drivers and letting Windows reinstall them(I'd try this, but my mouse/keyboard are both USB and I have no spares).

There was someone freaking out about how the device in question(usually printers or smartphones) fries your USB ports, but so far, they all work perfectly fine with my thumb drive and my own printer. It sort of leaves me to believe there might be something wrong with my controller, because that's the only thing I can pin the problem to. Every other piece of equipment, I had a spare to test with, except a spare controller, for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts on this? I scoured the forums but this doesn't even seem to be a remotely common problem. Thanks in advance.

odingalt

Staff member
You've baffled me on this one. We've sold a couple thousand with this USB design and that's the first time I've heard of a power surge detection.

You're on REAL Windows 7, and not a MAC running virtual windows? (Sorry always have to ask)

NYjetsNY1

This has happened to me before. My USB Play and Charge kits somehow malfunctioned and began to suck out the life of my USB ports on cpu + xbox 360.

The fix I did was purchase a brand new USB Play and Charge Kit. Black. It worked. My dead USB ports came back to life and my controller worked perfectly again.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Yes, I have had this before with my PS3 as well. It's a short in the USB cable. You need to throw out the cable and get a new one. It can happen with any type of cable, just be carefull you don't bend them too sharply or that can happen. lol I actually spent hours trying to figure it out, called Sony and they told me I needed to send in my machine for serviceing. They didn't even sugest trying a new cable.

NYjetsNY1

DXM Cake said:
Alright, I'll give it a shot. Results in several hours.

Yep this happened to my USB cable, if you notice the LED light on the cable keeps flashing green (mine did) ... I tried a new pnc cable and it works.

It appears you have a short in both of them. Just throw them out and never use them ever again. It should be fixed with the new cable.

DXM Cake

Huh, I thought I posted a response, but apparently I didn't.

Anyway, yeah, fix worked beautifully. Went ahead and tried my other cables on regular controllers - lo and behold, those didn't charge(though the 360 DID recognize that they were there). Anyway, problem is solved. Thanks a bunch, guys.

NYjetsNY1

DXM Cake said:
Huh, I thought I posted a response, but apparently I didn't.

Anyway, yeah, fix worked beautifully. Went ahead and tried my other cables on regular controllers - lo and behold, those didn't charge(though the 360 DID recognize that they were there). Anyway, problem is solved. Thanks a bunch, guys.

Good to know. Glad you are up and running again.

odingalt

Staff member
Ok you too PS3COD. Yeah I was having a hard time figuring out what on the device would draw enough power to set off the alarms... heck the modchip at full operation is well under 100mA and a powered USB hub I think is going to provide typically up to half an amp. Even a modchip with some short circuits on some of the i/o pins probably wouldn't exceed the USB hub's ability to supply power. But a bad cable totally makes sense as that would be a direct short from the power and ground coming from the USB hub which would certainly overload it.