Promblematic Controller

Ben

I have this controller here, it is a Custom Raven w/Blue ROL and a XCM LED Chrome Case with LED Thumbsticks.

It has been working fine for the past couple of months but one day it decided to just stop working.

Now all it does is when I go to turn it on, it will power up for 2 seconds (2 ROL Flashes) and then turn off.. I have tried a PnC Pack, Fresh Batteries. I also tried a PnC cable which it turned on for 3 seconds (3 ROL Flashes). I have took it apart and examined all the points and touched them all up but still no luck.

Also I have tried disconnecting the Viking chip doesn't make a difference to the problem either :(

So.. any idea's guys.. Einar? Fredrow? Modded Matt?

modded matt

dude, I hate those cases. I tell my friends who get a viking to only do a viking mod. I personally would not do led rol and led controller due to power consumption.

It could be alot of things. pull it apart piece by piece until you find the problem. you have removed the viking and it did not help, try the mobo in another standard shell.

For it to have just stoped working leads me to think it is a bad part on the controller mobo, voltage regulator, resistor etc. posibly a side effect of the shell or leds

the best thing is you have the knowledge to replace it.

Ben

Yeah it's not good for the power at all having the shell, viking and a different ROL.

I think I may have to replace the board, I don't have any other options :/

Thanks anyways.

Xx Binno xX

Ben try putting another circuit board in the case with the viking chip installed?? you could of just had a bad board.

IrishStyle

XxbinnoxX said:
Ben try putting another circuit board in the case with the viking chip installed?? you could of just had a bad board.

LOL, dude he only wants help from certain people.

Fredrow

My first guess would be you got a short somewhere....... Even though it turns on for 3 sec, it could still be a short somewhere......

Xx Binno xX

Fredrow said:
My first guess would be you got a short somewhere....... Even though it turns on for 3 sec, it could still be a short somewhere......

See i would of thought he would of had a short too but even with out the viking installed the controller still didn't turn on. Can't be a short. It has to be a bad circuit board. If it is not then I have no idea what else it could be.

modded matt

Ben. said:
It has been working fine for the past couple of months but one day it decided to just stop working.

that is the key here, it worked fine for months then just stoped, without any outside influance.

Fredrow

XxbinnoxX said:
See i would of thought he would of had a short too but even with out the viking installed the controller still didn't turn on. Can't be a short. It has to be a bad circuit board. If it is not then I have no idea what else it could be.

Oh yes, it could be a short.... Even without the Viking chip installed.... Binno, do you know what the jargon is for "short" in Electronics? It stands for short to ground. Your voltage is going straight to ground.....

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW said:
have you taken it apart to look at the inside?....i mean to see if anything melted and is now shorting out?

That's what I was talking about!! Nice call M1A1.... Sounds like he has a burnt out resistor, or maybe a leaking capacitor (I think that would cause it) just because when he turns it on it stays on for 3 sec!!!

Xx Binno xX

Ok I under stand why it could be a short now. The resistors in the board shorted out or that's what it sounds likes now that you explained it to me. Thanks Fredrow

Fredrow

XxbinnoxX said:
Ok I under stand why it could be a short now. The resistors in the board shorted out or that's what it sounds likes now that you explained it to me. Thanks Fredrow

It doesn't even have to do with resistors...... Voltage is going to take the path of the lest resistance.......

Xx Binno xX

So there is to much voltage flowing to one spot which caused a short? Sorry If i sound retarded but i have a limited knowledge in this kind of stuff I'll try to learn more. To be more useful.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
No, if the voltage can get around the resistors (like through a spill of solder) it will. Then it doesn't go throught the proper components.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

Fredrow said:
XxbinnoxX said:

It doesn't even have to do with resistors...... Voltage is going to take the path of the lest resistance.......
exactly....just think of power as the lazy it wants the shortest route

Fredrow

XxbinnoxX said:
So there is to much voltage flowing to one spot which caused a short? Sorry If i sound retarded but i have a limited knowledge in this kind of stuff I'll try to learn more. To be more useful.

All voltage is trying to do is find the less resistive path that it can take......