PS3 update?

Extort

Will ps3 controllers with usb ragnarok be getting the 1.8 firmware update with the hybrid optic sight and jump shot addition soon? I'm not at home to check.

odingalt

Staff member
HTML:
Will ps3 controllers with usb ragnarok be getting the 1.8 firmware update with the hybrid optic sight and jump shot addition soon? I'm not at home to check.
I

I need to do a full re-write of the existing software inside that PS3 USB Ragnarok. It's out of memory. I figured out a way to rewrite some of the stuff in more efficient way so that it frees up memory. Step 1 rewrite some stuff. Step re-test to make sure I didn't break anything. Step 3 try to add hybrid optic sight glitch (and hope there's enough memory). Step 4 test it. Step 5 update the Windows customization software and the firmware updater packages. Step 6 test those too. Step 7 release! There is a good chance this will take me into the weekend so don't get too anxious but I'm trying my best :)

Extort

Ah okay, well happy coding then. I can't wait to see the final product. I'm not sure which language you're programming in and how easy it is to change something as fundamental as this, but there are some things I could probably do without personally and there are some liberties you can probably make use of by using the computer software. For example if you can select what you load into the controller's memory then it's up to the user to decide where to allocate their controller's memory. Having an option for how many custom rapid fire, fast reload, and quickscope slots could be an option or whether completely turn off one of these features all together. I personally don't use more than 5 rapid fire speeds, I don't use the fast reload or quick scope either. There could also be a selection of which button layout you would like to use via the program on the computer rather than having them all preloaded at once as well. I'm assuming you've made separate methods for each of the different features and there might be a way to select what is loaded into the controller at a time.

odingalt

Staff member
We had this kind of setup on the XBOX360 side for the Tyr's Hand, Thor's Hammer and Odin's Raven. We went a different direction with the Ragnarok to see what customers would like best. We sell a Potpourri of all the controllers so there hasn't been a clear winner though my personal favorite I think is the Odin's Raven by a nose. I like to play with the Ragnarok sometimes because it basically requires no set-up like the Odin's Raven.

We are lacking this kind of product on the PS3, the PS3 only has Ragnarok and that one is not as customize-able as the "legacy" controllers on XBOX360.

It's just written in C, the problem is you are working with a small amount of memory. Typically the USB bootloader can consume up to 25% of the flash memory. Also I had some inefficient things such as defining 20 identical but separate structs, instead of defining an array of structs. All these particular structs being in an array in itself is more optimized by the compiler and free'd up a little space; but now that the structs are in an array I can use a loop to fill and empty the array which really saved me a nice chunk of memory. On the PS3 modchip I only have 8kB (0x0000-0x3FFF) to work with.

The whole software is set up sort of like a round robin system except the button I/O has to happen on an interrupt because the timing must be exact in order to hack the PS3 controller with minimal number of copper traces that need to be cut.