Q's for either Ben, ModdedMatt, or E.....

Fredrow

So I have been working on this Raven, and after I installed the first new chip, I then ran the button test code. Then right away the player 3 LED started to blink in sets of 3 which means the B button is grounded somewhere. But after doing some test with my ohm meter I had no conductivity from the B connection to ground! So then I did a re-flash and still nothing, I even disconnected the B wire and still the player 3 LED was flashing in sets of 3. So then again I did another test with my DMM, and nothing. SO then I installed a new chip and same thing happened!!! I'm running out of ideas here.... THe worst part about it is that this controller is a mail in service, and instead of tell the customer he sent me a broken controller and having to hear that guy B%$#@ I'm just going to replace the board (maybe)..... I'm about to go and test the controller right now as just a stock controller and see how it runs.... Oh and I also checked the underneath foam to see if anything was poking up through and touch the Viking board, and nothing was!!!

Any ideas? I'm only asking you three because I need real answers and maybe some other ideas that only true ELEC minds could pump-out.....

Thanks!

odingalt

Staff member
Inspect the microchip on the modchip board, maybe there's something bridging the legs there... try playing with it in-game, maybe the B button doesn't work in-game either. Check the microsoft IC on the circuit board to make sure the little microchip legs don't have any metallic debris shorting them out. Try removing the B button wire altogether and see if it still blinking away...

also be sure this isn't the same thing as last time where you forgot to check the debug box in the programmer... also be sure you are remembering to power up the controller (odin's raven will give test codes when the controller is powered off... never did release a fixed button test code for CG2 boards)

Modchips can go bad, Linda has bad boards every so often, we've also seen microsoft circuit boards fail and do crazy shit from time to time, and in these cases it seems like the DMM never reveals WTF is going on.

modded matt

test from the b terminal on the chip to ground. it could be in the chip. try to reflash and click allow configuration word programing

not at home this weekend so all I can do is take a guess