Ragnarok 360 for Xmas?

odingalt

Staff member
CG2 is possible. But my primary goal for this chip was in-house installs. We're able to procure matrix2 for the time being. A CG2 install would be possible, but it would increase the install from 18 wires to 24 wires, and those extra connections are all via hole/copper trace connections.

The matrix2 install is 18 wires and only 3 connections go to via holes.

I'm not sure if I am going to forge ahead with a CG2 chip install. If matrix2 disappear and cg2 circuit boards are all that are available, my options are to start producing macro controllers again (very unlikely due to the high cost), go back to selling legacy controllers like the Odin's Raven, or build a new CG2 modchip with the 24-wire install. Would sort of depend on retail customer expectations at that point.

I guess if we were able to get a big shipment of matrix2's we could sell those at-cost when bundled with a diy modchip???

BradT25

It just seems to me that two things are bound to happen. 1: you, for the time being limit your consumer reach, by offering the one schematic, or 2: Almost ensure that the bundle option is the only way to guarantee a successful install, which means more outlay for the consumer, and at some point, I'm sure there will be more cost for you too. Which is always going to leave Sh+t on the liver. What about offering the extra few wires install, at the expense of a legal disclaimer accepting no liability for damage and to proceed with at own risk. I myself, like many are very excited about this, however hesitant, in regards to acquiring the right motherboard.

Regards
Brad

Last edited:

odingalt

Staff member
It just seems to me that two things are bound to happen. 1: you, for the time being limit your consumer reach, by offering the one schematic, or 2: Almost ensure that the bundle option is the only way to guarantee a successful install, which means more outlay for the consumer, and at some point, I'm sure there will be more cost for you too. Which is always going to leave Sh+t on the liver. What about offering the extra few wires install, at the expense of a legal disclaimer accepting no liability for damage and to proceed with at own risk. I myself, like many are very excited about this, however hesitant, in regards to acquiring the right motherboard.

Regards
Brad

I wish it were that simple. It's not just a matter of adding a few wires -- the matrix circuit boards work drastically different than CG circuit boards. I would have to rewrite the software to accomodate both. I would also need to redesign a new modchip PCB as this modchip doesn't have enough pads on it to connect 6 more wires.

You'll notice a few shops that sell a modchip that's compatible with matrix1/cg1/cg2. You'll also notice that these chips are lacking features and require you to install multiple tac switches to run the mods. For example, gamermodz.com offers a modchip that is cross compatible on matrix1/cg1/cg2 (notice their chip is not compatible with matrix2 however). In order to use fast reload on a gamermodz mod chip, you have to install a tac switch, and that tac switch does nothing but fast reload. Our mod lets you "organically" call up fast reload by tapping the stock X button. You can also do perfect reloads and a dozen other mods all through a single tac switch. Using the gamermodz.com modchip you would get half the features and would have a controller with four tac switches on the back, with none of the features working "organically" through the stock buttons of your controller. Plus they don't offer fast reload programming, they don't offer perfect reloads - **** their modchip kit doesn't offer 10% of what our modchip does.

Although, you might prefer calling up special functions through extra tac switches, but then that's what our macro controller is for :)

I could have designed a crappy DIY kit designed to work with all controllers, but that's not what Viking is about - I decided to run with this new matrix2 board and make the modchip do everything I could think of.

Any how, the way I approached my matrix2 design means I'd basically be building a new modchip from scratch if I want Ragnarok to be compatible with CG1/CG2 circuit boards. I just didn't approach it that way from the get-go because most people aren't excited about a 24 wire install (28 if you include the optional USB programming jack, 30 if you wire up both tac switches).

bobdanoob

Just ordered the Ragnarok chip. Should see another order coming to Jax, Fl. Now I'll have a Raven, a macro and a Rag.

odingalt

Staff member
Woah is the international shipping fair dinkum or what? WOW! is there any room to move on this

I don't know what a fair dinkum is, but international shipping is indeed expensive. We don't ship USPS because USPS is unreliable and resulted in us losing several very expensive credit card chargebacks. FedEx and UPS priority service is the only shipping method we use now, but unfortunately FedEx or UPS costs anywhere from $75-$105 depending on what you buy and where you live.

Would love to help you out, but either the USPS is incredibly unreliable, or, a lot of people took advantage of the fact that USPS doesn't provide sufficient signature confirmation on international packages, because we suffered a lot of lo$$es when we used to ship USPS. We have had zero international chargebacks to my knowledge since we stopped using USPS.

BradT25

NAh its all good champ. Its business, i understand. I just had a few beers and was looking at it late at night....Just caught me by surprise initially.

odingalt

Staff member
We sold some legacy modchips to Modspace.com.au way back in the day, they may still have some, I haven't contacted them to see if they want to carry the new chips because I don't think the old ones ever sold that well :-(

Fredrow

NAh its all good champ. Its business, i understand. I just had a few beers and was looking at it late at night....Just caught me by surprise initially.

Hey Brad you should shoot me a PM or an EMAIL because I might be able to help you out with acquiring a chip-set while doing the shipping through USPS......

BradT25

We sold some legacy modchips to Modspace.com.au way back in the day, they may still have some, I haven't contacted them to see if they want to carry the new chips because I don't think the old ones ever sold that well

Yes he did, his name is Craig, and I bought a heap from him, and was doing raven installs with them. I still had a couple left, but just recently moved house, and cannot find them as of now. Not to worry I will still buy a Ragnarok chip. I still have a bigger problem, and that is located a matrix 2 pad

odingalt

Staff member
Yeah Craig! Very nice guy, I felt bad when he bought some chips but they didn't fly off the shelves. Hoping he still turned a profit from the project however. Was nice doing business with him.

BradT25

Yeah Craig! Very nice guy, I felt bad when he bought some chips but they didn't fly off the shelves. Hoping he still turned a profit from the project however. Was nice doing business with him.

Last time I spoke with him over the phone, he didn't have muck stock left. So I guess it was ok. Quick question odin, did you sell him the tactile's to go with it. He had these 3.5 actuator tacts, however they had smd legs on them, were brown and felt alot firmer and sturdy than the ordinary tacts from say radio shack. Just was wondering coz havent been ablr to track them down.

odingalt

Staff member
We include a single tac switch with the kit, it is dark brown/greyish/blackish (depends on the light source). I think it's 160 grams of force. I think our red switches are 260 grams of force and a much firmer press/clickiness to them. Do you have any popular distributors in your neck of the woods, like the mouser.com and digikey.com we have here?