Rechargable Battery Packs???

dadams69

I Recieved my Controller today!!! It works get! Except when I put my rechargable battery pack in it, the one that goes with my charging cradle, and the chip wouldn't come on. is this normal? I can't use my battery? Second question: I have 2 brand new controllers that came with my MW2 edition xbox360, they are both CG2 boards. Can I just put one of those boards into this controller and wire the chip up as a duo! would this work?

Thanks
P.S. I love the dragon skin too!!!!

IrishStyle

dadams69 said:
I Recieved my Controller today!!! It works get! Except when I put my rechargable battery pack in it, the one that goes with my charging cradle, and the chip wouldn't come on. is this normal? I can't use my battery? Second question: I have 2 brand new controllers that came with my MW2 edition xbox360, they are both CG2 boards. Can I just put one of those boards into this controller and wire the chip up as a duo! would this work?

Thanks

Try fully charging the pack and see if it works. Sometimes mine craps out with half charge left. Yes you can install in it those controllers as duo. Or just swap the shells and install tact switches, I think that would be alot easier.

odingalt

Staff member
dadams69 said:

Thanks

Yes, that modchip is the same exact mod chip used in the Hammer and the Raven installations. You could uninstall it from your Dragon (which has a matrix circuit board) and re-install it in either of your two CG2 board controllers! It would be quite a project, hopefully you've got some experience using a soldering iron. :)

IrishStyle

Oops sorry for the bad advice...I am still not used to the names of the controllers and that matrix is supported now.

dadams69

I have fulling recharged both packs and the chip still does nothing, But when I put some half dead batteries in it works fine! It looks like the Packs use the four copper contact in the center of the battery compartment and the batteries use the contacts in the bottom of the compartment!

a42ozslushie

Yeah since the mod chip is so powerful it uses a lot of energy. My MS rechargable batteries start freaking out when they are 3/4 full - don't worry it is normal.

IrishStyle

Yup same here slushie....Some of my aftermarket ones do not work at all either.....Some of these packs are underpowered

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

IrishStyle said:
Yup same here slushie....Some of my aftermarket ones do not work at all either.....Some of these packs are underpowered
what aftermarket ones i have the nyko(stand) charger would that work,whats the exact power usage
thanks
VIKINGxM1A1xFTW

dadams69

what aftermarket ones i have the nyko(stand) charger would that work,whats the exact power usage
thanks
VIKINGxM1A1xFTW

I have used both Microsoft ones and the nyko packs and neither one will power the chip! The controller works fine just no power to the chip! I have to use regular batteries to get the chip to work. I think it has something to do with where the power wires to the chip are soldered. The packs use the copper contacts in the center of the battery compartment and regular batteries use the coils at the end of the compartment. I don't have any regular rechargeable batteries to try. After spending this much on a controller, I can't afford to buy new batteries! This is the only thing I am disappointed about!

dadams69

Here is an update! I moved the V solder point from the + post for the regular batteries to the back of the copper contacts for the rechargeable packs and now my controller works with both!

dadams69

Make sure you use the post on the left side at the end! The 3 on the left have 2.85v, but the one on the end is the only one that doesn't drop when the controller is turned on. I don't know why this works, Because even when the packs are in there is 2.85v at the + post for the regular Batteries, but the chip won't come on!

odingalt

Staff member
Two stupid questions, what kind of circuit board was it, and did you check that 'allow configuration word programming' the last time you reprogrammed the chip? This is a curious problem :) I've been soldering quite a lot of chips direct to the (+) battery post and all running fine with rechargeable batt packs.

dadams69

odingalt said:
Two stupid questions, what kind of circuit board was it, and did you check that 'allow configuration word programming' the last time you reprogrammed the chip? This is a curious problem :) I've been soldering quite a lot of chips direct to the (+) battery post and all running fine with rechargeable batt packs.
It is a matrix board in the try's hand! Like I said earlier "I don't know why it works" But it's working get with both Packs and Batteries. I have been playing for the last 8 hours straight with no problems.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

dadams69 said:
odingalt said:
It is a matrix board in the try's hand! Like I said earlier "I don't know why it works" But it's working get with both Packs and Batteries. I have been playing for the last 8 hours straight with no problems.
oh few! im getting the duo so i should be OK thank god :D

Fredrow

IrishStyle said:
I will have to give this a try....Most rechargable packs are 2.4v and with 2aa you get 3v

If your right about the 2.4V, then this whole thing with the packs makes more sense. Because the Viking board is going to need a min amount of current, and you wont get as much current as you would with 3V....

odingalt

Staff member
dadams69 said:
odingalt said:

Is this a do-it-yourself-install? Did you forget to check the 'allow configuration word programming' box when you programmed the controller?