Send in controller

dawgyownz

I stop using controller for awhile, but since the beta for BO3 came out I decided to play xbox again again. Went to play and my joystick and chat adapter are broken? Joystick moves on its own and I can't use mic? Can I send this in for a fix? I really love the controller.

bonefisher

What is a while? Have you updated the controller to xbox? Have you updated to the new forge app and firmware for controller from Viking' webste? Try that anyways first.

dawgyownz

What is a while? Have you updated the controller to xbox? Have you updated to the new forge app and firmware for controller from Viking' webste? Try that anyways first.

Hey I'd say about a month. And I don't think it's a software issue. It's the actual joystick.

JIM WALKER

Hey I'd say about a month. And I don't think it's a software issue. It's the actual joystick.

Sadly the joystick drift issue is a common one, even more sadly it is a Microsoft issue (poor quality build), Viking will not fix this as its outside of the warranty.

I had the same issue and repaired it myself by replacing the stick module, very risky though.

The mic issue may be a connection problem inside the controller, Viking can fix this. Suggest you start a support ticket with Viking support.

Freyja

Staff member
Every mic problem we have run into was from an improperly synced controller and worked just fine at the shop, except for one where the customer broke the mic jack off of the internal circuit board. Try hard restarting your Xbox and controller and re-syncing it.

Freyja

Staff member
We do not do joystick repairs, just like Jim said. You were denied repairs because of that. In order for us to fix it on the Xbox One it means replacing the circuit board, which means either harvesting the old chip and re installing it, or completely installing a new chip which we normally do for the solder-less versions because they are very sensitive to being taken on and off the circuit board. Then we have to re-assemble it and test and ship. You essentially get a new controller and the price we would charge you is actually more than we charge for an entirely new controller because there is more time in labor to do all that. It doesn't make sense to charge you $300 for a stick drift when you can purchase a new one for $250.

odingalt

Staff member
Ok sorry, did not read carefully enough to see it was a stick drift problem. The only way to "Fix" stick drift is to replace the actual underlying thumbstick mechanism. Unfortunately replacing the thumbstick requires removing the modchip (and also the triggers on XBOX 360). Then desoldering the thumbsticks. They soldering in the new joysticks. Then completely re-installing the modchip. It actually takes longer to do this vs. just starting over again with a new modchip and a new Microsoft circuit board.

I wish it was easier to replace thumbsticks or that there was a better solution for when the stick starts to drift. When Microsoft builds the thumbsticks into the controller at the factory it's all done by machine in an automated assembly line 1,000's of controllers at a time. But when we reaplce the sticks it's all done by hand, using hand soldering tools.

odingalt

Staff member
In other words we can "fix it", but the fix is actually selling you a new controller at a discount.