Technical post: what's different about the macro mod chip?

odingalt

Staff member
I guess I'll start the posting in here with some rambling about the new technology.

DEMO VIDEO HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ryvmsBx9c

*Faster core, more ram: The old modchip had a Micorchip CPU running at 4MHz core speed and it only had 8kB of internal EEPROM for running code. The new modchip has a Microchip CPU running at core speed of 12MHz and has 256kB of internal EEPROM for program code. It also has an external 1024kB (1 megabyte) EEPROM chip for storing macro information. Which means this thing has a LOT more power!

*Programmable LED's: Customers could only pick one color when ordering the old legacy modchip, then they were stuck with that color unless they could bust open the controller and resolder four LED's. The new controller lets customers use the software to choose a new LED color at any time. On top of that, you can create a macro that does nothing but run an LED light sequence if you want. This is accomplished by removing the old LED's manually with a soldering tool, then inserting an entire tri-color "RGB" LED circuit board in its place.

*No more 3.5mm jack: The old modchip could be programmed via USB, but you had to either drill an extra and unsightly 3.5mm jack into the shell, or modify the play-and-charge port by cutting it - ruining the play-and-charge capability of the controller. The new modchip allows you to program the modchip through the play-and-charge port while also maintaining 100% of the play-and-charge functionality of the port!

*More buttons: The old modchip was not connected to the analog joysticks, the d-pad, and also couldn't really be used fully with the A button and the Right Thumbstick due to limitations in the modchip. The new modchip connects to EVERY button/joystick/trigger. Plus we added four more tac switches than the Raven, because you're going to want them after you're done recording tons of macros.

*Analog vs. digital: Old modchip could not control the joysticks for you, nor could it simulate the triggers other than all or nothing. The new modchip has six DAC channels (that's Digital-to-Analog-Conversion): two for the triggers, and four for the joysticks. (each joystick has an x-axis and a y-axis) This means you can use the analog triggers and analog joysticks in all your macros (can you say, EA sports skill move macros? can you say, anti-recoil script for first-person-shooters? can you say, aim-slowdown script for long-distance sniping?...)

*New Software: We started by putting way more power under the hood of this new modchip. Without getting into the details, the new modchip costs us around 400% more money to produce than the old modchip. Plus we were able to learn well from all the shortcomings of the old modchip. Don't get me wrong, I still feel like we have the best rapidfire modchip on the market. But this modchip is the one I was really dreaming about when I started the business in June 2009. Anyway, with so much more hardware packed onto the new modchip, we can take the software a lot further, too.

*Better quality custom shells: we've found a shop that does a professional paint job with a nice clearcoat finish on stock shells. This means no more struggling with crappy 3rd party custom shells that just don't fit right and don't play right. One thing microsoft did well in my opinion was develop an ergonomically pleasing controller (admit it - your mouse hurts your wrist from an hour of gameplay, but you can play using your controller all weekend and only end up with some minor aches and pains). Unfortunately the paint process doesn't happen overnight, so we were only able to get our hands on a short run of about 50 'Serpent' shells for the new product launch.

Questions?

realdakar

If I read this correct, one example which the new controller has over the older model is the Tiger woods game requires you to pull back and push forward the analog button and press 'A' multiple times to increase power, can all this be done with one button???

Krier023

Useful Poster
Just wondering. when you sell out the serpent controllers(I imagine in the first week) will you be getting another shippment of them in?

Xx Binno xX

Od the painting takes about 1 week for it to finish. So if you do about 5 controllers at a time they will be done in 1 week. At least i just finished painting a controller it took about 4 days. But about this new chip it basically blows away the old chip. even though the old chip blows away every other mod shop's chip.
So this chip has an input and output for every button? When will the new software be able to download so I can mess with it and make macro's? Well first i have to get $90 for this new controller. Well once i sell my raven i will preorder this controller. OD you did good i don't think anyone can make a better chip.

M1A1xVIKINGxFTW

realdakar said:
If I read this correct, one example which the new controller has over the older model is the Tiger woods game requires you to pull back and push forward the analog button and press 'A' multiple times to increase power, can all this be done with one button???
yes
Krier023 said:
Just wondering. when you sell out the serpent controllers(I imagine in the first week) will you be getting another shippment of them in?
no 50 thats it.

BradT25

will there be a DIY kit for the new modchip....I just bought one 2 weeks ago, now there is gonna be this new chip...:(

Jonny

3 small questions..
Will Ben be selling these - if not anyway to got them in uk? And
Do you have any plans to make a version for the budget gamer? Such as the hand when the raven and hammer were out?
And last off.. Will there be any pictures of the new board as I, just like many others are interested in this typa thing.. :)

Krier023

Useful Poster
This might be a dumb question, but the new viking comes with rapid fire and jitter still correct. not just macros

Jonny

Yes it does - and jitter is a macro.
You can even make your own styles of jitter and rapid-fire to suit you and how you play.

Krier023

Useful Poster
ok. I was just wondering if you could only use macros that you made. because i cannot shoot my trigger 24.7 sps lol

obo

lunosla said:
is the mod chip connected to the back button? for auto spotting in battlfield
frorm what i'm looking at right now, i actually don't think it is...

however based on the viking technology, this may just be a software thing. Einar could probobly add the back button to macro list.

Don't quote me on this though. This is just what i think based on what i know about the new chip technology.

odingalt

Staff member
EVERY button is connected. The back button just doesn't have a track in the timeline editor in the alpha version.

obo

odingalt said:
EVERY button is connected. The back button just doesn't have a track in the timeline editor in the alpha version.
yeah, this is what i was thinking.
Good to hear Einar