USB Device Not Recognized :(

mlongo3

Anyone want to help me with this problem I have? Is it a computer problem or Controller problem?

Please reply as quickly as possible :D

NYjetsNY1

You basically built this controller yourself right? Hoping Fredrow can help more but I really can only help with pre-installed stuff from viking.

Fredrow

This is a controller problem....

The good news its all located in one area; the jack!

Either you have the D+ and D- connections switched.

Or either one of them is a bad connection.

Quick question, did you do what E' asked you to do on another thread about plugging the cable into the jack (without having the jack installed into the controller)
and then use a DMM to do a pin-out of the jack?

mlongo3

This is a controller problem....

The good news its all located in one area; the jack!

Either you have the D+ and D- connections switched.

Or either one of them is a bad connection.

Quick question, did you do what E' asked you to do on another thread about plugging the cable into the jack (without having the jack installed into the controller)
and then use a DMM to do a pin-out of the jack?

I think I did that....did he mean: That to find out the ground the +,- points on the 3.5mm jack? If so then yes.....but I will re-do it if I have to, Now the D+,D-, How can they be switched? Does the wire from the chip have to go to to a certain pin on the 3.5mm jack? (is that what E' said for me to find?). And Also since I'm already asking questions, How could one of them have a bad connection? (Wire not completely touching the V-Chip?, or something else?)

If you could take your time and answer my questions then I really would Appreciate it :D

Thanks

Fredrow

I think I did that....did he mean: That to find out the ground the +,- points on the 3.5mm jack? If so then yes.....but I will re-do it if I have to, Now the D+,D-, How can they be switched? Does the wire from the chip have to go to to a certain pin on the 3.5mm jack? (is that what E' said for me to find?). And Also since I'm already asking questions, How could one of them have a bad connection? (Wire not completely touching the V-Chip?, or something else?)

If you could take your time and answer my questions then I really would Appreciate it :D

Thanks

Your right about the bad connection......

The D+ and D- wires can be switched (which is bad because it will not work, and give error like you had!) by the installer not connecting them to the proper solder points on the V360 board....

D+ and D- on the Viking360 board are your data connections (and for any other electronics device)....

So if you soldered the D+ line from the jack to the D- line on the V360 board then that is bad! So to answer your question from before. Yes the D+ and D- connections from the jack have to go to the D+ and D- connections of the V360 board...

Another thing you may want to do is Google search USB header pin-out and use that for your reference in finding the correct pins on the jack by using the cable plugged into the jack. Then doing a continuity test with a DMM from the USB header on the cable to the jack...

Make sense yet, or did I loose you? I'm bad at playing teacher sometimes, so bare with me dude!!

mlongo3

Okay! I get you, but just in case I don't ever get this to work, Have you checked your email? If not, then please check it, I might end up sending the controller to you to fix it properly, lol. My brother lives in Seattle so I could probably send the controller back with him when he leaves. Well anyways, I'm going to try to do that and if that doesn't work then I'm going to send it. Please reply to my email with details about the send-in.

Thanks!

mlongo3

Okay, Right Now I'm currently using the DMM to find the D+,D- on the 3.5mm jack...............I found the D-!!! So now I know the D+, okay now before I solder, I need to know how to run the software properly on Windows 7 (Not Pirated or Bootcamp, It was pre-installed) I have seen problems on the forums with running the HID bootloader with WIndows 7 and getting the same message, well just let me know on how that works.

Thanks

Fredrow

Dude you never sent me a email, but you did sent me a PM through the forums which I have already replied to, so check that out....

Yeah sorry about all this run around, when Viking switched to this new forum setup a lot of the old info didnt make the switch over here.

You need to check and make sure you have .net framwork 4.0 in your Windows 7 if not then go download and instal it.

IrishStyle

Popped my head out from behind the wall on this question haha, I don't feel any more super than I was before though fred so I think its all smoke and mirrors. Speaking of the new site looks GREAT, I thought I was lost when I saw new Playstation in the header.

mlongo3

I can't believe my eyes, a legacy DIY question. Are you sorted out now?

No :(

The wiring looks fine and the connections look good, so I talked to Fredrow and he hook me up with a great deal, I'm going to end up sending it to Fredrow and see if he can fix it.

But Thanks for the concern!

IrishStyle

No worries fred will get it sorted. If you think problem is with the 3.5mm jack you can put the controller into bootloader, open HID and then slowly plug the 3.5 cable in to see if it picks it up. You may have crossed some wires there. If you are done fiddling with it I understand, just a suggestion for the time being.

Fredrow

No worries fred will get it sorted. If you think problem is with the 3.5mm jack you can put the controller into bootloader, open HID and then slowly plug the 3.5 cable in to see if it picks it up. You may have crossed some wires there. If you are done fiddling with it I understand, just a suggestion for the time being.

+1 on that answer....

I really think the whole problem is with the jack or could be a defective cable. Or like you said Irish wires crossed or it could be a bad ground...

I told him he should just step away from the project for a day and get his mind cleared of the problem then go back to it. Its funny how our minds will play tricks on us especially when it comes to electronics!!

mlongo3

+1 on that answer....

I really think the whole problem is with the jack or could be a defective cable. Or like you said Irish wires crossed or it could be a bad ground...

I told him he should just step away from the project for a day and get his mind cleared of the problem then go back to it. Its funny how our minds will play tricks on us especially when it comes to electronics!!

THanks for the Info guys, but I really just gave up :(

I'm going to end up sending it to Fredrow either tomorrow or tuesday.

I know he'll fix it, lol

:D

Fredrow

Do you have a working DMM??

Take a picture of the bottom PCB please?

What are you using to cover the bottom of the Viking360 board?