Windows 8 missing dll?

odingalt

Staff member
What process did you use to install the software? It says it's missing a .DLL file.

boomers831

I installed the controller drivers. I downloaded the Viking software and installed after download was complete. I get the same error on both computers that have windows 8. I use it on windows 7. I would enjoy having it on windows 8 but its no big deal. I think my wife wants to update to windows 8 and that could be a problem.

modded matt

Tell her she is making a mistake. win 8 is already being replaced 4th qtr this year. Dont waste your money.

boomers831

Isn't that going to be an update not a change. When I hear change I picture a complete overall. This is nothing like comparing vista to windows 7 in the sense of quality. Vista sucked! I think they are keeping the same style just adding more. Windows 8 mobile devices are pretty sweet. I am a huge fan of the surface pro and widows 8. I think its simple and easy to show people how to use. If you have a mobile windows 8 device, you might like the start menu better than the desktop. It definitely woke up my Asus g72. I installed it on my wifes and she is very happy. Being able to add apps she likes to the start menu made her happy. Yes women love interest, Facebook and so on. I needed a break from gaming anyways. Maybe my problem will get solved in forth quarter. . I have a Samsung note 2 with dock station and new iPad. I just got my surface pro. Since then, I have sold my iPad and put away the dock station. The way people act about windows 8 remind me of football fans. Everyone is saying windows 8 sucks but never tried it. Kind of like football fans all griping about their team sucking and telling everyone what changes should be made when they never even played for the school much less step on there field. No offence to anyone reading this. I drink beer and watch football.

odingalt

Staff member
Can you go to the folder where the software was installed and give me a list of all the files that are there? Do you see all of these:

app.ico
HIDinterface.dll
The Viking Software.exe
TimelineEditor.dll
Updater.exe
Updater.exe.config

(Be patient with us, we'll get this worked out, if it's a bug with the Viking software, we'll get it fixed.)

modded matt

I had two other members install the viking software and run the program on windows 8 without any issues. They installed it and run the program, without any modifications, errors, or exceptions. (it installed flawlessly) these were two different people on two different windows 8 machines.

Its good to note that win 8 was built upon windows 7 core.

odingalt

Staff member
It says it can't open hidinterface.dll. Most likely because the file is missing. Click on the link provided by user radio8712, open it up, take that .DLL and put it in the same folder as where the software was originally installed. Viola

Not sure what user permissions or virus scanner is preventing the software from fully installing in the desired location :-x. This has hints of Windows Vista UAC issues. Make sure you have full admin rights to your PC.

boomers831

If you look at previous page, I tried that on both computers. I gave folder and all files inside administrative privileges and opened up as administrator with webroot disabled. Only program I have tried on windows 8 that hasn't worked. Not sure whats up. Thanks for your effort to help.

boomers831

The asus doesnt have antivirus protection and both installs are identical to what I was told to check. I was thinking it was me writing 5o the registry wrong causing the invalid path or whatever. Tried installing it different places. No go. Windows defender cause it?

modded matt

Windows defender is an AntiVirus program and could cause it. I personaly installed it on my brother in laws pc this weekend which is running windows 8, No issues.

Sorry your having such trouble.

boomers831

I would love for you to remote connect to either Windows 8 machine and take a look. I am computer literate and have installed, converted, ripped, etc files, written batch files, a+ certified, had mcse cert, and currently mwd and directional drill doing lots of trig and geom.. I am not an idiot. You can remote access my computer any time and give it your best. I am stuck or I wouldnt have posted it on here. Everyone saying they installed it there and here and everywhere doesnt help. Constructive help would be great. Thanks