XCM Case ?'s

Gezilla

Ok i am not so good at soldering i have a real shaky hand can anyone tell me if it is hard to buy a raven and install it in an xcm case i really want a chrome xcm case with full l.e.d kit the raven that i will be buying will have the 3.35 jack it it is way to hard for someone that cant solder i dont even want to try and mess it all up thank you so much :D :mrgreen:

Itz CHARLEY

well soldering just takes practice. i practiced doing solders on a broken xbox controller, so maybe if you have like an old remote for a tv, take it apart and practice, practice, practice.
SOldering isn't the hard part though, the xcm only has like 3 solder points.the hard part will be taking the 3.5 jack, and the tact switches out of the controller(they are hot glued) and drilling new holes in the xcm case.
I would just wory about drilling holes in the xcm case as the chrome pain could break and start to chip off around the jack.
Unless you are a big play and charge fan, i wouldn't recomend getting the 3.5 jack.
the drill bit size for the tact switches:9/64
the drill bit size for the 3.5 jack: 15/64

Krier023

Useful Poster
Yeah. if you give fredrow an email he will give you a fair price, but if your not comfortable with soldering i wouldnt do it, because you need to put in new tacts, solder them take out 3.5 solder it and thats all on the back of the controller. then you need to solder the three xcm wires to the front, so its a difficult task, but fredrow will give you a good price

supimbob333

Yea I agree, The tact switches and the 3.5 mm jack are the hardest part to fit in and keep the wires short enough that they dont get in the way of anything.

Ben

viking360fan said:
einar stopped doing the xcm duos for a reason the chip barely fits not recomended for a first time diy

I didn't think it was any different from a normal install.. the cases are not to the same quality but I didn't think they were too tight of fit :)

Blackburn

XCM cases are possible to install in, but its more of a challenge because the bottom part of the shell doesnt allow for as much room under the motherboard

odingalt

Staff member
Well, we changed to a 'thinner' Viking chip on the XCM cases about September last year so the new chip fits better but the XCM case quality is crappy at best, sometimes I have problems with the bumpers being 'softer' than the stock bumpers, definitely takes some finesse. For example when I install an Odin's Raven (my wife is faster mind you) it takes me about 70 minutes from start to finish (from the time I open the controller to the time it's tested and programmed with the all in one driver). If I do the Odin's Raven with an XCM case install it can take me up to 2 1/2 hours depending on how well or poorly the particular XCM case I am using was molded. You're gonna have a shitload of wires in that thing if you do Odin's Raven with 3.5mm jack option and do the XCM case (it has another three wires for the light-up buttons on top of an install that's already like 20 wires)

Gezilla

Well i have changed my mind on that from what i have read xcm cases suck but thanks for everyone who replied :D

odingalt

Staff member
I've successfully used an Evolution brand chrome front with a stock black back.

So I went out into the garage where I have a bunch of XCM crap in a box (I keep meaning to start selling XCM on the website but never find the time to list them all). I was able to get an XCM front on a stock back just fine. The stock back probably fits better to the XCM from, than the XCM back does lol.

odingalt

Staff member
Hmmm I do not think so, they have special screw posts molded into the XCM shell for attaching the PCB to, plus the 'light dome' on the XCM is like hard attached in the top half of the shell. A guy would try to get it to work with a lot of jury-rigging, cutting and supergluing I guess?

Krier023

Useful Poster
lol sounds like more work than its worth. I just wanted to know because i have an xcm case and i love the lights and how the buttons are like a milimeter taller then the stock xbox controller buttons, but i hate how my bumpers work.

odingalt

Staff member
Dude, agreed. My biggest single gripe with XCM shells are the aboslute crap/chincey bumpers...