555 timer?!

Exodeos

I've been trying to create a 555 timer for a controller with a potentiometer to make the rapidfire adjustable.. Is this still possible?? And if so does anyone have any good links to a schematic or tutorial as I can't find any good ones!! Mods if this is an inappropriate post on a mod companies website feel free to remove this. I'll understand, I just thought I'd ask.

Exodeos

Thanks very much! I finished building it today and it worked!! Like you said it's rather "glitchy" my clip will either fire off at rapid fire or extremely slow. But perhaps the weirdest thing is the fact that it bursts in random amounts from the clip. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I had use a different capacitor than the smallest one (I'm buying the correct one soon to test with it) I'm also planning on testing with a different potentiometer as the only one the source had in stock was one fourth of what your tut called for. At the bottom of the tut it said you had moved onto programming pic chips?! Could you pm me some information on this method? ( maybe another tutorial?) thanks again!!

modded matt

a pot is a variable resistor. but all all the standard ones are cheap, you need to use one at the correct range for it to function right. or you can remove the pot and put in a resistor this makes your mod no longer adjustable, but will result in a more consistant rate of fire, as any slight movment of the post will affect the internal flipflop which inturn changes pulse rate.

If you want to get into pic programing start by using open source codes, then you can take baby steps into actually writing code (if willing and able)

here I give links to all parts needed, a schematic on a $20 programmer you can build yourself, all the programs needed, and a complete walk through.

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php ... 999.0.html

I am glad to help you here, however this site is for viking 360 product support. as long as the mods here dont have any issue I will be glad to continue this convo.

Krier023

Useful Poster
Thanks for this matt. i just glanced over it but it looks like it explains a little bit of coding microcontrollers. I think i will read into this as i would like to know what is actually going on in my controller when you put a modchip in.

Exodeos

First of all I just wanted to say thank you! Both tutorials have been fantastic!! I've gotten the 555 to work as well as I think it's possible but the pic chip really interests me! In the tutorial it mentioned that you can get free chips from chips direct or something? Out of curiosity, how would I go about doing this?

Fredrow

Exodeos said:
First of all I just wanted to say thank you! Both tutorials have been fantastic!! I've gotten the 555 to work as well as I think it's possible but the pic chip really interests me! In the tutorial it mentioned that you can get free chips from chips direct or something? Out of curiosity, how would I go about doing this?

555 timers are really becoming not used so much in todays ELEC world, and that is all thanks to Microchips......

Exodeos

I'd really like to be able to program the chip using a 3.5 mm jack or something similar so that I don't have to re-open the controller to re flash it. Is this possible? I read something about a picaxe chip being able to do this? would I need to use different code/ setup? thanks for all this help!

Fredrow

Exodeos said:
I'd really like to be able to program the chip using a 3.5 mm jack or something similar so that I don't have to re-open the controller to re flash it. Is this possible? I read something about a picaxe chip being able to do this? would I need to use different code/ setup? thanks for all this help!

Here is an idea, do so research find a MC that can be used through an USB port!!!!! What is that word I'm looking for??????........__________ Oh yeah, READ THE DAMN DATA-SHEETS........

modded matt

thejld said:
Its basically impossible to reflash a pic and idk about a 555, matt, howmany free samples can u get?
dude I am sorry to say this, but you need to stop trying to help people and learn a small bit about what your talking about. I have been nice, but now you just sound like a dumb ass.

you can reflash any MC insert it into a programer, open hex file and click program, the programer will first erase the PIC and reprogram it with the new hex file loaded into your programer.

It sounds like you want to preform incircut programing, as fredrow said do some research, find a pic that suits your needs and write a program for it. YES picaxe is capable if ICP, but then again so are most MC's today.

the 555 timer CANNOT be programed. it is a timer. do the research. didnt I provide you the data sheet? if not look it up. in lamans terms the 555 is a light switch that continuously keeps flipping up and down, or on and off. if you add an outside factor to the light switch (say tape a penny to it) it will create resistance and the switch wont flip as fast, this is what the resistors and capasitors are used for when using timers.

Exodeos

thank you Matt, I was aware that the 555 timer could not be programmed, but the clarification on the icp proved quite helpfull. @ fredrow, I understand how annoying it gets with people not reading the blatantly obvious information available on this site, and others, as was the case with the data sheets. However I am sixteen and only just getting into this type of thing at all and it had not occurred to me at all to read them for that information. So to Matt for not doing my own research before asking, I am sorry. So thank you for pointing me where to get the information. I have decided to go with hazers original plan with the programmer design that you provided. I have built the programmer and my chips should arrive soon. At some point I may try to accomplish the icp however that is way above my head at this point as I can not write code. To anyone reading this (in my opinion) buying a viking chip is a better option than what I have done as I could have purchased a diy kit from here and been done by now for probably cheaper with a better rapidfire chip that could do more. That being said I do get to have some self satisfaction from doing this.

@ thejld thanks for trying to help but please do some research or do not respond if your not 100 percent sure of what your talking about as had I not read that 555 timers could not be flashed on another site before that it would have been confusing.