Anyone know anything about input lag for LCD and PS3?

SlickNick

Just trying to find out some info.

Recently I just found out my TV had a "game mode". Switching this on really helped out with input lag on my Samsung TV...almost night and day!!!! So in searching more, I'm finding more info on reducing input lag on TV's. I came across an adapter that converts HDMI to VGA (called hdfury gamer edition). From what I'm reading, going through a VGA port (instead of HDMI) on my TV may even reduce my lag even more. I'm just wondering if this is true? Should I just stick with the game mode, or will using this adapter be even better when it comes to reducing input lag. Also, considering switching to gaming on a monitor and wondering if this will be better than using 'game mode' as well.

Any thoughts/advice would be awesome.

40_ounce

PS3andCOD

Contributor
I personally don't see much difference, I often use a monitor and have been using a Toshiba TV lately... There is actually more lag between the controller and the console than the console and TV. You can reduce that on PS3 by using the USB charge cable while you play though.

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
It sucks for me because I have a projection TV so the image has to hit off a mirror inside the TV to project the image onto the screen. I have seen some lag in between my TV however my TV has a Game mode on it and I turned that on. Did the trick and my KD is now at a 1.43 which is pretty good since it used to be a 1.30.

modded matt

Fact:
The fastest conection between your xbox and tv will be through an HDMI cable. this is also true for using a monitor. Regardless of what you may have read from some 13 yearold, Pure hardware, HDMI is faster.

As for the "game mode" on your samsung tv, LOL this is in refrence to the gamma settings and has nothig to do with lag. (I have a 55" samsung 1080P @ 240hrz)

Your TV creates a secure conection between the xbox and tv through HDMI. If you want to use a monitor, so be it, but if you have a good tv, this will not help you.

My sugestion,
check the internet speeds if your having lag issues. look for problems other than between the TV and xbox. If you dont find any, get better at playing the game.

SlickNick

Thanks for all the help. I've settled on a 24" monitor and am going down the HDMI (vs VGA) route. IMO (for what its worth), ive already noticed a big difference in input lag (vs even game mode on my TV).

Thanks again.

odingalt

Staff member
The answer could differ depending on manufacturer. It seems plausible that "gaming mode" might actually reduce the lag, perhaps gaming mode is just turning off some of the image processing/image enhancement of the HDTV?

This is why I prefer playing FPS on a Windows PC... PC's are still the ultimate way to game!

SlickNick

Yeah, from what I've read, Samsung are particularly bad for input lag. Gaming mode 'shuts off' a lot of the image processing features (straight from a Samsung forum). Even with gaming mode on the input lag was around 50 ms. Like I mentioned, I switched to a BenQ monitor and its made a huge difference (with a lag around 13 ms...less than a frame). Since switching my kd is averaging just over 2.2 (from a 1.4). It seems to be the difference of being able to land the first few bullets than not. I'm not a young pup anymore, so I have the luxury of being able to drop a little bit on a new monitor. I'd recommend it to anyone if they can.

MJ23KB24

ModdingBros Leader
Glad to see it worked man! Keep raising that KD I have a 1.44 right now with a TV that isnt really suited for the gamer however I guess Im a "young pup" haha.