can the viking be adapted to a wired controller?

LogicBomb

how much work would it be to make a wired version? because if you made a wired version, then ps3 users could use it with an xbox360 to ps3 adapter.

odingalt

Staff member
We use a solderless socket that was specially designed for the CG2 wireless variety of the XBOX 360 controller.

I believe the wired version is more akin to the wireless 'matrix' version, which increases the part counts as you end up adding quad bilateral switches to the design to get it to work.

The wireless socket is the most expensive part of our modchip at $18. Not only would we have to re-tool for (and purchase several thousand of) a different socket, we'd have to redesign the entire PCBoard as well, as that too has been designed for a 'perfect fit' in a CG2 controller.

I have no plans to take on a wired XBOX 360 controller project. It would be cheaper and easier to design a modchip for PS3 controllers, or for that matter, probably easier to create a new adapter.

odingalt

Staff member
PS3andCOD said:
Is the PS3 project official then? That would be awsome, what I've been waiting like a year for...

I haven't started any prototype work or technical work yet. However I have brought up the topic with my wife and our web dev team as they would need to be involved. I would really like to get this on the dockett for Spring. I have a software service contract (I'm providing some services to another shop) that should be done by the beginning of February, at which point I will probably be bored. I will be looking for something to do..

I'm still leaning towards PS3 modchip (not an adapter, I lack the expertise to build an adapter cheaply, the software would kill me). I'm not sure if this thing is going to be more akin to the Viking360 Custom Hex Editor and the old Odin's Raven. After the amount of money we spent creating the Viking Macro controller... vs. the sales we've had.... I don't think it's worth it.

PS3andCOD

Contributor
Possibly... Maybe if it was more like the old one in a sense that you need to do some actual coding for stuff, but all the buttons work as input/output? That was the biggest limiter on the first viking... Seriously though, there is nothing for PS3, not even jitter really. Fast reloads and jitter is enough to make it top of the market.