Computer won't connect to / recognize controller...

VinnyMac6

I got a new Viking Macro Controller from my brother for Christmas. I immediately went upstairs at his house and hooked it up to his PC (running Windows 7) to check it out. The software installed fine, controller went into programming mode fine and I was able to store a haduken on to the controller and some LED flashes and it all worked fine.

Then I get home. I can't get the controller to work with my computer at home. I'm running Vista-32 and whenever I plug the controller in, powered on, programming mode, whatever, it says it's installing the device driver, then calls it an 'unknown device.' There are no flashing lights to indicate communication, the Viking software says it's disconnected and I've tried multiple ports and it's always the same. Unknown device. I went to Microsoft's site and got the most up to date controller drivers. Nothing. Tried automatic update. Nothing. Tried to find it on the list. (A lot of sites say to look for the Microsoft Common Controller for Windows). Nothing. It just continually shows up in Device Manager as Unknown Device and that the drivers are up to date.

This is really driving me crazy. I've wanted one of these forever and now that I have one I can't use it. I have no idea what to do or where to begin.

The controller operates fine with my 360. No input problems with games or anything. I haven't had an opportunity to try it on another PC again, but my assumption is that it's just on my end. My laptop is old and certainly on it's last leg, but there has to be something I can do, right?

odingalt

Staff member
Vista sucks is there any way you can upgrade? I know this is not a good tech support answer but we've had a bevvy of users with issues on the macro like you described - all on vista, or, sometimes when on a Mac trying to run a windows emulator. The Macro controller identifies itself as a standard HID human interface device, Windows XP and Windows 7 have drivers built-in to the operating system so no driver update is needed. For that matter I don't even HAVE drivers available for the macro controller because I just use what comes built-in to Windows operating system. When an o/s decides to throw a **** fit and think it needs a driver and can't find it, I'm at a loss at that point.

Is there any way to plug that old laptop into the internet and let it download some Vista service pack updates??

I ran a quick google and didn't really come up with a fix, just had to share this to giggle about Vista, http://anotherlab.rajapet.net/2008/04/work-around-for-kb938371-disabling-hid.html

VinnyMac6

Unfortunately, I'm saving for a new PC right now so a new OS would just be an unnecessary extra expense. At least it shouldn't be a problem any more one that finally happens. So no, no upgrading for me just yet. And I do have the most up to date service pack installed, as well. I've pretty much reached the point of throwing my hands in the air and realizing I'm just out of luck with this issue. It sucks... I've wanted this controller ssssooooo badly. I'm going to test it out tomorrow on a Windows 7 machine to be absolutely positive it's just the Vista machine.

odingalt

Staff member
It could be a bad controller, I'm almost rooting for you in that I am rooting that it's a bad controller! Maybe it went bad from the time you left your buddy's house to the time you got home. (Are you remembering to power up by pressing the start button. Start button = programming mode, guide button = play mode)

VinnyMac6

I spent the day at my brothers, brought my X-Box and the controller works perfectly. As much as it sucks to not be able to use it at home, I'm having a blast with it today.