connection problems

Rxb

When I plug my controller into my computer to download rune packs and check The firmware nothing happens I have only connected it one other time to upload firmware and download the CoD examples all went well thenthat was about four months ago now nothing happeneds No matter what I do nothing changes it doesn't show any sign at all that I am plugged in

Rob

odingalt

Staff member
You have had this long enough (4 months) I won't bore you with the normal help procedures you might contact the main website see about sending it back for diagnosis, if a hardware issue then the most likely culprit would be USB jack wire connection inside has gone bad.

These probably won't help you but I will post them anyway as just in case other customers stumble across this post:

-try fresh set of AA's
-try powering controller with a second USB cable from it's charging port
-be sure the controller is sync'ed either to a console or a computer (it'll go to sleep after about a minute if it doesn't have anybody to talk to)
-try a different USB cable
-try different port on your computer / try rebooting your computer (every once in a great while a computer itself is the problem)

modded matt

Rob, you only ever plugged it in once, four months ago, so its not like you have been using it..... Did you perhaps forget how to boot it into program mode?

If you plug it in when its not in program mode, nothing happens...... you need to hold the LB and RB at the same time as pressing power. (hold all three until it power ups and the LEDs are flashing rapidly.) then it will load a driver that may take a few moments (if it has not done this previously) then the software will recognize it if you have the boot loader on.

Other than that, try Odingalts examples above. then send it back...

On my controller I have to hold the usb cord at an angle to get it to work. I know I probably should have sent it back in, but it still works. Just a suggestion.

Rxb

I examined the USB port and noticed it was not lined up with the hole. after some fiddling around with a pair of needle nose pliers I got it centered. Back fixed my problem. I put a small dab of superglue in the corner to make sure it stays put.thank you all for your suggestions. It was III AMP III's post about having to hold the USB at an angle that made me take a better look at the port. I Think I was just pushing through the plastic and moving the USB port not actually plugging into it.

Thanks all for your replies

Rob

Rxb

I considered the warranty but The actual port just a little loose so I couldn't get the plug to fit deep enough. I am used to working with jewelers tools even under microscope. I very carefully centered the Jack back into position and put a pinhead sized drop of a breakaway type of glue to hold it. All is working fine now. Just glad it was a mechanical fix and not some i'm with one of the chips.

Rob

odingalt

Staff member
I examined the USB port and noticed it was not lined up with the hole. after some fiddling around with a pair of needle nose pliers I got it centered. Back fixed my problem. I put a small dab of superglue in the corner to make sure it stays put.thank you all for your suggestions. It was III AMP III's post about having to hold the USB at an angle that made me take a better look at the port. I Think I was just pushing through the plastic and moving the USB port not actually plugging into it.

Thanks all for your replies

Rob

You might want to send it in before your 6 months are up. I'm worried the jack will give way again if it wasn't secured in the first place. It would suck to happen after 6 months. The superglue could make it harder to do the repair. I.e. super glue is permanent, to tear it out and redo the jack now with superglue on there something could get torn, broke, chipped, etc.

Drastic

You might want to send it in before your 6 months are up. I'm worried the jack will give way again if it wasn't secured in the first place. It would suck to happen after 6 months. The superglue could make it harder to do the repair. I.e. super glue is permanent, to tear it out and redo the jack now with superglue on there something could get torn, broke, chipped, etc.
wish there was an option to buy an extended warranty.. :(

odingalt

Staff member
The reason we have not offered an extended warranty in the past is because the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller quality is terrible. For XBOX 360, and extended warranty = pissed off customers. Let me explain why this is the case A lot of kids that buy are hardcore gamers, logging literally up to 40, 50, 60 hours a week. The current XBOX 360 controllers (the new gen that they have been selling since about 2010, the new ones with all black sticks and chrome guide button - not the good old gen which were the white ones or the old black ones with grey sticks) are not built for heavy use like this. The average life of a thumbstick mechanism under heavy use is something like 6-12 months. If you get a year out of an XBOX 360 controller these days under heavy use, it's a miracle and consider yourself lucky. If we offer an extended warranty, customers will be under the false assumption that we will cover their controller from regular wear and tear. We consider heavy use of an XBOX 360 controller to be regular wear and tear and not a manufacturing defect, because the controllers just aren't designed for heavy use like this.

So a customer would buy this 12 month extended warranty thinking they are covered. And then at 11 1/2 months their thumbstick wears out and they write in telling us they want a thumbstick warranty repair, and we tell them the warranty doesn't actually cover wear and tear, and that the thumbstick replacement would be at their cost (which runs over $100 in most cases because it's a huge pain in the ass to completely uninstall the mod, uninstall triggers to access the thumbsticks, desolder the thumbsticks, replace them, re-install triggers, and then re-install the entire mod). 99 times out of 100 the customer in this scenario is going to be super pissed off. This warranty coverage is on par with other mod shops who also do not cover worn out thumbstick mechanisms in their base or extended warranties.

Thanks to the low quality controllers Microsoft and Sony are pumping out, extended warranties do nothing but line my pocketbook with extra profits. If you have a legitimate problem with the modchip, modchip installation, USB jack or tac switches coming loose we have performed plenty of free repairs even outside the warranty, so long as it's an obvious problem with our workmanship and the problem has not exacerbated by tinkering (trying to repair yourself) or getting frustrated with the broken part and damaging the controller further (ramming the usb jack into the controller in and out in frustration). We are a stricter on customers who notice the problem in the first few weeks, but decide to wait until 5 3/4 months expecting a new replacement and a renewed 6 month warranty.

It doesn't work that way. If you have a problem you need to send it in right away to get it addressed before it gets worse. Don't attempt to repair the problem yourself (you will only make it harder for our people to fix the problem and in some cases we will not honor your warranty because of this), don't wait until 1 week is left on your warranty (or worse, don't wait until after your warranty is expired and then complain to us when we won't do a free repair and you say "but I had the problem before"). Send it in as soon as possible so we can take care of the problem for you and prevent further damage from developing on your controller.

With XBOX One if these controllers prove to be of higher quality we will offer an extended warranty. We did offer an extended warranty to all Berserker pre-order customers (since it's a new product we felt it was important to give first time buyers of the new product extended coverage).

Hope my logic sounds o.k. to you guys, on my reasoning for not offering extended warranty until Sony and Microsoft can get the quality of their units improved. I don't want to set false expectations that the extended warranty would do any good, because at this point in time it won't, any extended warranty we offer would basically just cover the modchip and modchip installation (including jack, tac switches etc.) and historically we have always re-attached tac switches for free if you just pay shipping. USB jack problems are the same way, we have covered plenty of USB jack repairs for free outside of the base six-month warranty.

odingalt

Staff member
Long story short, I know for a fact that I make less sales because I don't offer extended warranties. I know for a fact if I offered extended warranties, I would actually book more sales and I'd make more money per sale (because I could charge $20-$30 for the extended warranty). I also know for a fact that at this point in time I would be fleecing customers because the extended warranty buys them zero actual extra coverage. Extended warranties, protection plans (I'm talking to you Best Buy/Geek Squad), monthly device insurance (I'm talking to you, cell phone companies), and the like are just gimmicks to take more money out of your pcket. If you run the numbers you are better off just taking good care of your stuff and saving the money you would have wasted on extended warranty or device insurance, set that money aside for the next time you replace your device.

For profit companies don't sell you insurance, extended warranties or other coverage plans out of the goodness of their hearts. They run the numbers and they only do it in a way that makes them money.

odingalt

Staff member
If XBOX One and PS4 quality pan out then we do hope to bring extended warranty option to those devices. From a business/profit perspective it's the smart thing to do and it's what all the other businesses in my sector are doing. Since we don't get any credit at Viking for being nice guys I might as well jump on the bandwagon and make some more cash :)

bigal

I have just received my xbox one berseker on 10-22-14 and I can not get the boot-loader to see my controller to update it. Windows recognized the controller. I have tried this on two different computers and USB cords the computers are running windows 7 pro and the other is windows 8, any ideas what I should do

bonefisher

First question is did you sync it to your Xbox one? If so if you are too far away from your Xbox it will need second USB hooked up to the controller!!

bigal

First question is did you sync it to your Xbox one? If so if you are too far away from your Xbox it will need second USB hooked up to the controller!!

I will get my Xbox one 11-3-14 . so I need that before I can do anything with the controller

bonefisher

There instructions on the web
I will get my Xbox one 11-3-14 . so I need that before I can do anything with the controller
That is correct.........or try plugging in both usb cables to see if it takes that way but I still think it only works after you sync your controller to your xbox one...

bigal

There instructions on the web

That is correct.........or try plugging in both usb cables to see if it takes that way but I still think it only works after you sync your controller to your xbox one...
I thank you for your help, using both cables with my PC did work. I was able to upload the firmware to the controller but I have not tried any runes yet. I will find about that when I get my Xbox one.

Last edited: