Controller not turning on

sqlninja01

I need a little help.
I was in the final stages of finishing my Viking Sleeper DIY mod.

I initially had problems w/ the 1st and 4th LED's not coming on. I resoldered the 4th and presto, the Controller is working like perfect. Except for the error codes it threw.

So I decided to concentrate on getting the Right Bumper and Right Trigger connected good.
Soldered and -Resoldered.

I tried to power up the device, and its not powering on anymore. I went back and re-did the power lines to ensure I didn't bend/break a line while installing the new Right Trigger/Right Bumper.

Is there anyway to test with a multimeter to find what is giving me a problem? If so how would one go about doing this.
The only thing I think my problem could be is
1.Invisible Static (Maybe I had some on me and brushed something)
2.I did score the Viking PCB on one of the edges but it didn't appear to hit or damage any traces.
3. Maybe rerouting the lines, I have some overlapping. (Does this make connections not work). I would think insulation would keep this at bay, but maybe the insulated wrapping wire cannot be overlapped/ or cross each other. Please let me know if this would cause a problem.

Any Ideas would help.

odingalt

Staff member
It could be the back of your mod chip shorting against the board, did you 'suck out' and trim down those 6 points at the start of the tutorial? Double check back there to make sure something didn't poke through the electrical tape or whatever you used to insulate the back of the board.

I.e. sometimes if something other than the Power wire is shorting out, it could still keep the controller from powering up. Finding a nicked/bent/shorted/squished wire can be a pain. Honestly the biggest headache of the mod is making sure all the little wires don't get squashed/shorted when you close up the case.

sqlninja01

I have electrical tape on the backside and I did shave the points down.So I don't think those pegs are shorting it out.
I imagine some of the wires may have gotten a little bent when moving it around trying to get it to fit in the hole.

Can you help me understand the term "crossing wires".
Does this mean having the wire soldered on the wrong connector? Or does this simply mean crossing the wires when your running them? Can you run wires on top of each other.

Also does the term "pinch" mean pinching and then causing the line to break completely apart, or simply a unseen pressure point in a wire that will cause it to malfunction.

What is the likely hood that the Mod-Chip or PCB is damaged preventing it from powering up?

Is there a way to check using a multimeter? or will Desoldering all points and only connecting power make the unit fire up?

sqlninja01

I unsoldered everything, and My Controller Turned back on. So I resoldered all necessary connections. It appears once I connect Power, the device doesn't turn on.
Any Ideas?

sqlninja01

I disconnected the power just to see how the controller function w/o the mod.
Everything works fine. I'm thinking my Mod is blown.
Is it possible to send back the Mod?

odingalt

Staff member
Brian if this is you, I'll send out a replacement on Monday that we talked about, give it a try. I'm guessing you've blown the mod as some point during this process lol. Anyway I make all my money off controller sales, I just sell DIY chips to keep the good guys here in the forums, so will send out a freebie Monday. (if this isn't Brian send me a pm with your address)

sqlninja01

Thanks a Bunch. This is Brian...I was careful to stay static free, but I guess I may have done something. Through this process I feel confident in modding this controller. I am kinda curious as to what typically blows these mods.

Too much heat?
Static?
Shorted Controller Board

odingalt

Staff member
Well yours is our first blown mod chip. Just grab an electron microscope and take a look inside the chip and let us know what you find lol :)

I'm guessing at one point the power and ground got reversed, that's about the only thing I can think of that would cause damage. That or applying the voltage from the USB or PnC headers backwards.

Fredrow

sqlninja01 said:
Thanks a Bunch. This is Brian...I was careful to stay static free, but I guess I may have done something. Through this process I feel confident in modding this controller. I am kinda curious as to what typically blows these mods.

Too much heat?
Static?
Shorted Controller Board

I doubt that it is static....unless you are building this in the ball pit at McDonalds......

Do you have any pictures???

So the controller doesn't turn on?? Or the mod doesn't work????

sqlninja01

The controller doesn't turn on with the Mod Chip Power Attached. The Controllers works normal when the power wire is not connected to the Mod Chip.

I took every wire off, and ithe power wire is the only wire that keeps the Controller from turning on.

I really don't think i reversed the PnC or Power/Ground Cables. Any other ideas?

sqlninja01

Just as in the picture from the sleeper tutorial
/IMG_0384.jpg

Here is mine:
abc-1.jpg

(You may have to right Click and Select View Image to get the picture)
I think the image got resized so I guess you can save my picture or view this closeup:
abc-2.jpg

sqlninja01

On a Side Note: I removed all connectors except Power, Ground, PnC, RB and Right Trigger. Should the Mod Power Up with just these attached?

Fredrow

You should also connect P3 & P4 LED's too, just so you know the Viking powers up.......

Are you doing a sleeper or a DUO???

sqlninja01

I forgot to mention, I did connect LED3, and LED 4, and Sync.

So the only wires are connected are
Ground
Power
Sync
2-wires for (PNC)
RB
Right Trigger

LED3,4

Fredrow

Are you doing a SLEEPER or DUO????

Also what happens if you don't have the PnC connected to the Viking chip??
and
What are you using to power on your controller?? (i.e. Xbox 360 rechargeable batteries, normal AA Energizer batteries, or rechargeable AA batteries???

sqlninja01

I'm doing a Sleeper.
The PNC has no effect on the controller turning on.
i.e. The controller turns on when PNC is connected to the Mod (Without Power line)
The controller will not turn on with simply the Ground and Power Cables attached from the Mod to the Respective Points.

Also I'm using The Battery Pack to power the controller. I' make sure the Battery Pack is working, as it will turn on another controller.
I also check using the PNC to see if it can get power that way.

The LED located on the PNC cable comes on when connected but the computer doesn't detect anything, and the controller doesn't come on when the Power Button is pressed.

The factor I may need to test, is the RB button may be jumping traces with X.
I think I remember the last time playing with the controller. Everytime I would press reload in GOW the guy would jump. I use controller configuration 2 in GOW2 (Jump is X)

I think I'm solving the problem mentally right now. I left the wire installed on the board but disconnected from the Mod.

Let's see how this goes with the RB wire unsoldered.

sqlninja01

I removed the RB trace connection, and the controller reacts 100% fine without the mod installed.RB no longer makes my character jump. I went back and simply installed only the Power and Ground.

Same problem
NO LED's(1,2) No Anything, and the controller itself doesn't cut on.
As stated before, as soon as I disconnect the power wire, it now works 100% normally w/o mod.

odingalt

Staff member
In your image of the power wire, is that the same wire you are using right now? It looks like the power wire got pinched in that photo (I'm assuming you've already replace the wire though?) It looks like it got pinched by the controller shell around the thumbsticks.

sqlninja01

I just ran two new lines for Power and Ground. To ensure they were unpinched.
It didn't change anything. I tried powering on the device with the battery pack without the shell closed to ensure they didn't get pinched.

Something else is wrong.